Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clunk when turning with almost full lock

heed

Trainee
On my new to me C4S I'm discovering that if I have almost full right lock on, and then pull away I often get what I can only describe as a 'clunk" sound. I can't tell if it's ns or os. Certainly from the front.

It happens from a stationary position, e.g pulling out of a parallel space. It can also happen at slow speeds, e.g., swinging the car around in a car park.

I'm pretty sure it's not tyre slip... The sound is quite 'hard" and short. Tyre slip that I have experienced is more of a dull sounds, and something you almost 'feel" rather than hear.

I took a video of it: https://youtu.be/KMp0Y0JginA

Watching the video I noticed that it looks like I turn a little more just as the clunk sound happens.

Difficut to tell from the video but clunks on near full lock would make me think CV joint.

It kinda sounds like a coil spring is slipping against the stop of the shock absorber .. its a very loud , harsh metal on metal .

I would start with jacking it up , check play left / right and up down , then have a good look at the coil spring and top mount .

just as a favour though .. check all the wheel bolts are tight both sides .

deMort - interesting you should say that. One of the queries that my Indy had when they PPId the car was that there was some play in the front top mounts. However, they were both replaced by 9e a couple of years (and only several thousand) miles ago.

I rang Ken at 9e who said that there shouldn't be any play, and that if the boots were not damaged torn etc then they should be fine.

I chalked it up as a difference of opinion between the Indies when it comes to the definition of play in the mounts.

So maybe there is enough play to cause this? If it's that, how can it be explained given the mounts are so new?

Anyway, it's due a service so I guess I'll ask my Indy to investigate. Gulp.

(I'll check the wheel bolts with a torque wrench)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back