Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Considering a 993 switch from a 997 - advice welcome

Counter Of Beans

I currently have a Gen 2 997 and I love it; great car. However, I am keen to experience different Porsche flavours, so to speak, and I keep hearing about the magic of air cooled cars.
So, if I was to buy a 993 (probably a C2 manual), what pros and cons should I expect? I'm aware that ongoing maintenance costs will be a fact of life, but I've spent £10k in the last year on my 997, so that's not an issue.
I suppose what I would like to know is two things really:
1) why should I buy one? and
2) why shouldn't I buy one?

Budget is flexible but let's say up to £70k for a decent one. I keep looking at Sponge's old car - the Guards Red one at 911Virgin. I don't care about A/C but I do care about about resale value. Why hasn't it shifted?

Cheers, Mike.

If I was in your position I'd go and drive the red one at 911V. Ask if you can borrow it for a couple of hours and see what you think. You'll know if you like it pretty quickly.

997 is faster, 993 has more personality.

tyinsky said:
If I was in your position I'd go and drive the red one at 911V. Ask if you can borrow it for a couple of hours and see what you think. You'll know if you like it pretty quickly.

Is that the one they've had for months and months? You are right though, best drive one to make a decision.

Looking on Pistonheads prices seem to be falling recently too.

Not convinced that 993s are that desirable as a daily in modern South of England traffic though. I find they take way more concentration than your average Eurobox in modern conditions. Absolutely love mine as a high days and holidays car, I think I'd get to hate it as a daily though.

I am aware that a few who post on here do use them as dailys but not sure if they are based in such a traffic congested area of the UK though.

Well I guess i can comment because I have both.
There is a big difference in how they drive, not suprisingly. esp as my 993 is 2wd and my 997 is 4wd.
The extra power and things like pasm make the 997 seem almost effortlessly fast and drivable, but still great fun.
The 993 as said, requires more concentration/is more engaging (whatever way you want to put it).
This means you also get a greater sense of connectedness between you the car and the road. I have not tracked either car, and have never had the nerve/foolishness to get either car to it's limits, but with the 993 you feel closer to the limit if you push it.
I do up to 10k a year in my 993 mainly on roadtrips/drives.
I would summarise by saying if you're going to do less than that 10k, mainly driving for the sake of it, then a 993, or you are doing more with a greater proportion of 'utility' driving then 997.
Pick wisely and i don't think either will lose you much money.
I'd leave it up to you to decide if picking wisley means avoiding a gen 1 997
:wink:

Interesting comments gentlemen, thank you. No Porsche I ever own would be a daily, so a 993 might be suitable if only for the sense of occasion that's often mentioned.
You've whetted my appetite so I guess the next step is to go and drive one.

Counter Of Beans said:
I keep looking at Sponge's old car - the Guards Red one at 911Virgin. I don't care about A/C but I do care about about resale value. Why hasn't it shifted?

Cheers, Mike.

The answer is there. Modern drivers these days want the added extra of AC given even a base Fiesta has it these days :roll:

Despite some saying the AC is shiote, has the output capacity of someone in an iron lung, when it's working correctly it works and does its job. I wouldn't even get past getting the Colini Stick inspection tool out unless AC was fitted. Would your driving profile rely on it?

On a trip with the air-cooled crew a few years back one chap had to drive most of the journey with the windows open. Given the speeds we were doing there was a risk of bell's palsy :what:

Take heed of Sponge's experience of going back from 997 to 993 again. Ownership was measured in hours :grin:

Go experience a 993 and see if your inner beard comes out...

I say experience as owning a 993 is much more than just a drive, you're almost buying into a lifestyle or at least a way at looking at things a certain way. They smell a certain way, they're built a certain way, they're like nothing else Porsche has produced since 98.

They're not the fastest, best handling, most comfortable, but the overall ownership experience is sublime......

Trev

Counter Of Beans said:
Interesting comments gentlemen, thank you. No Porsche I ever own would be a daily, so a 993 might be suitable if only for the sense of occasion that's often mentioned.
You've whetted my appetite so I guess the next step is to go and drive one.

I look forward to hearing your comments on this. You can ignore Zingari's comments imo, he is so so bitter about 993s these days and hasn't got a good word to say about them. Also remember that he has bought into the Alfa experience now, most people go from Alfas to Porsches :floor:

I love Afas btw and have two of them and I am actually jealous of his Alfa 4C though, I nearly went down that route rather than the 993 when I bought mine. I'd love both. I decided the 993 would hold it's value better though :D

Albionmuz said:
tyinsky said:

Is that the one they've had for months and months? You are right though, best drive one to make a decision.

Looking on Pistonheads prices seem to be falling recently too.

Not convinced that 993s are that desirable as a daily in modern South of England traffic though. I find they take way more concentration than your average Eurobox in modern conditions. Absolutely love mine as a high days and holidays car, I think I'd get to hate it as a daily though.

I am aware that a few who post on here do use them as dailys but not sure if they are based in such a traffic congested area of the UK though.

Live in West London and mine is a daily, has been for 9 to 10 years. There have been other cars I have had at the same time like a Range Rover but for me that was boring to drive so I would always take the 993 key's even if it meant I had to deal with speed humps and traffic. I accept the compromises as had lusted after 911 since a nipper and the 993 for me was a dream car.
Best advice which we are all saying is you need to drive one. I went from a 996 12-114 years back to my first 993 and do not regret it for a second.

Were I looking for a high days and holidays air cooled car I would be over to 911virgin to have a look at the blue 3.2 Carrera. Restored, engine rebuilt, late G50 car. Looks stunning. Even more of a character than a 993, old school 911 charm without the megabucks needed for an early 911. I miss mine :sad:

Zingari said:
Counter Of Beans said:
I keep looking at Sponge's old car - the Guards Red one at 911Virgin. I don't care about A/C but I do care about about resale value. Why hasn't it shifted?

Cheers, Mike.

The answer is there. Modern drivers these days want the added extra of AC given even a base Fiesta has it these days :roll:

Despite some saying the AC is shiote, has the output capacity of someone in an iron lung, when it's working correctly it works and does its job. I wouldn't even get past getting the Colini Stick inspection tool out unless AC was fitted. Would your driving profile rely on it?

On a trip with the air-cooled crew a few years back one chap had to drive most of the journey with the windows open. Given the speeds we were doing there was a risk of bell's palsy :what:

Take heed of Sponge's experience of going back from 997 to 993 again. Ownership was measured in hours :grin:

Simples dont do it! the red 993 is my ex car, 997 to 993 #dissapointed Old isnt all its cracked up to be, the same with 991 v 997....

In the 993 you feel special. People smile, small boys unscrew their heads as you drive past. Blokes at petrol stations compliment the car, the look or the sound. People let you out of junctions. You get out smiling.

Tobesetc said:
In the 993 you feel special. People smile, small boys unscrew their heads as you drive past. Blokes at petrol stations compliment the car, the look or the sound. People let you out of junctions. You get out smiling.

This!

Tobesetc said:

Scary looking guys in Brixton stare at the car, then smile and shout 'nice car mate"

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back