Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering wheel change options

Croydon

Moi again.. so research done.

Straight swap for existing 993 bulky 4 spoke is the 996 wheel, retaining air bag.

Air bag delete and 964 cluster surround : 993 RS wheel or Club sport.

Anything i'm missing?

Ian

I've changed mine a few times and reckon the best of the bunch is the 996 3 spoke wheel. It's the perfect size between the larger 4 spoke 993 whee and the smaller after market options. Initially I thought the smaller atiwe/raid wheels where a good option but once fitted I realised it makes the steering too heavy.

Unless your going RS spec there is not need to go for the airbag delete options.

Dream911 said:
I've changed mine a few times and reckon the best of the bunch is the 996 3 spoke wheel. It's the perfect size between the larger 4 spoke 993 whee and the smaller after market options. Initially I thought the smaller atiwe/raid wheels where a good option but once fitted I realised it makes the steering too heavy.

Unless your going RS spec there is not need to go for the airbag delete options.

After a good search I think you're right, the simplicity of fitment a huge plus too. Found a decent one on eBay, ill double check condition before installation. If its needing care ill pop it off to Royal steering wheels .. again recommended for their quality work on here.

Ian

I managed to get hold of a brand new techart wheel for mine a few years ago which is looks the same as the 993 wheel but is infact smaller and has a much nicer covering with thumb rests. I love it and it still looks period correct :thumbs:

9fff4f6a.jpg

5A7F7AED-029A-4BBF-AD18-323E16848382-7408-00000350DF4BD63C_zps77fb1fed.jpg

Dream911 said:

Agreed.

Croydon said:
Moi again.. so research done.

Straight swap for existing 993 bulky 4 spoke is the 996 wheel, retaining air bag.

Air bag delete and 964 cluster surround : 993 RS wheel or Club sport.

Anything i'm missing?

Wouldn't the non-airbag early 964 (normal or RS versions) also be an option? Also the 964 to 996 Cup steering wheel is another airbagless option.

996 Three Spoke is a good looking wheel and if you can find one with a leather airbag, even better. Definitely worth having the airbag should it ever be called upon... :wink:

C.

ollster said:
I managed to get hold of a brand new techart wheel for mine a few years ago which is looks the same as the 993 wheel but is infact smaller and has a much nicer covering with thumb rests. I love it and it still looks period correct :thumbs:

9fff4f6a.jpg

5A7F7AED-029A-4BBF-AD18-323E16848382-7408-00000350DF4BD63C_zps77fb1fed.jpg

That looks perfect. I love the look of the original wheel and think as time goes on it will become more better still. Nice that this one is so subtly different.

Jonttt is selling a RUF one isn't he? Might be a nice option?

Its sold :wink:

My preference was the Raid 365mm (which is slightly bigger than RS but smaller than standard 993 memory) It is also thicker and the two combined made a massive positive difference. Retains an airbag option as well and look OEM (RUF used them on the 993 originally).

I've recently changed for a tequipment carbon 993 wheel to match my carbon interior but the Raid wheel is better IMHO.

NB size is everything :eek: and a few mm smaller diameter makes a massive difference in a steering wheels feel eg a 340mm raid wheel in a 993 would be too small IMHO and make the steering too heavy but a 365mm was perfect (and that was in a 4S which has heavier steering to start with)

You can see my install on my journal here:
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82158&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=166

Standard 993 wheel is around 380mm, the techart one I have is 370mm, but as pointed out that 10mm makes a massive difference in feeling and steering weight. I think the rs wheel is 355mm iirc

Here's my wheel in situ post retrim of the wheel, dash and door tops in black leather at Dave The Trimmer

The 996 three spoke is just trying too hard.
I wanna 996
No true 993er would want this wheel.

Go Atiwe/RS

A bit costly
But so good.

Attachments

• a33068e6_3955_40c7_8850_080fa86fb0ce_126.jpeg
    a33068e6_3955_40c7_8850_080fa86fb0ce_126.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3,627
stuttgartmetal said:
I wanna 996

Go Atiwe/RS

A bit costly
But so good.

maybe if you have an early 993. Mines a 98 so the 996 wheel was available as an option from the factory. :thumb:

stuttgartmetal said:
I wanna 996

Go Atiwe/RS

A bit costly
But so good.

I had that wheel fitted to my 944 Turbo, great size and feel. however I don't really want to have to mess about with the boss and source a 964 surround tbf.

Ian

What about the Momo prototipo with a nice Porsche crest? Haven't tried it but must admit that I have been toying with the idea.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back