Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

958.1 hybrid vs diesel 3.0

veearrsix

Monza
I have started to look to replace our long in the tooth X5, one of the requests I have had from the decision maker is better MPG.

I know I am looking for a unicorn car (large practical 4x4 with decent performance and good mpg, oh and at a budget that rules out the latest models), but that i what I have been tasked with finding.

So between the early hybrid model and the 3.0 diesel, which is likely to be the most economical, taking into account the cost of petrol vs diesel.

The main daily use for the car is the usual school run on the way to work (the X5 does this and has no DPF issues), and at the weekend we often do a good few miles.

I have also been looking at early panacottas as well, which I know are more economical, but I'm still unsure as to whether we want to lose the fifth seat yet, we are losing 2 seats as the X5 is a 7 seater, which have had more use than I expected they would.

the challenge with the 958.1 Hybrid is that the battery spec was very limited at a smaller kw unit, better mpg than the petrol 3.6 with it's 3.0 engine from the Audi s4 but for a car that weights 2.25 tons

and I dont have any data to provide you it's long term life expectancy / efficiency

but in a world away from Diesel it's certain meets the requirements of a cleaner car

for absolute mpg it would still be the diesel

I second that, that if it's mpg you need diesel will prove to be cheaper especially if you are doing a fair few miles on your average week. The uncertainty lies with where the government go with taxing diesels in the future I guess and how that might affect your monthly running costs and also the value of the car but surely diesel will around for a good few years to come so it might not be a short term issue if you keep the car 3 to 5 years. If Brexit ever gets resolved they will probably turn their attention back to this.

In the interests of the publics health I went for an older petrol Cayenne last year and despite what all my man maths told me it's still not great for fuel! I don't do massive miles but coming from a diesel previously, it's been a bit of a shock.....

Maybe the first step is to look and try a few of both kinds first and work back from there? I'm not sure what the reliability is like for the batteries on these types of cars being early hybrid tech and the likely cost to replace a battery if you do have a fault.

So between the early hybrid model and the 3.0 diesel

Can i just say ... Diesel for MPG.

If i start on about the early Hybrids i may be here for some time .. hence my first comment .

Are there issues with the early hybrids I should be aware of, or is it just that they don't really offer any perceivable benefit as they are old tech?

Ok .. IMHO and only ..

Porsche added the battery to give extra power , its not about save the planet .. it can do a max of about 2 miles at low speed before the battery is exhausted .

In full throttle mode you have the engine PLUS the battery to give extra power .

They used to have problems with some of the leads .. a/c springs to mind.

Battery is heavy .. expensive and pretty dangerous if there is a problem with it .. I will say its extremely rare .. i've never herd of a problem but you start to worry when the instructions are if it starts to over heat you wheel it to a safe area , call the fire brigade and leave it to sort its self out ..

lithium iron batterys cant be put out as i understand it .. self generating oxygen .. you have to hose them down and keep them cool .

Ok that's pretty much the scare mongering and the worst case scenario ..

I've never seen it or even herd of it .. but it worries me .

The fact remains .. early hybrids are designed to give extra power .. 2 miles on a battery is pretty pointless .

Diesel .. far better on mpg but not good for the planet these days .. actually they never were but the government of the day decided at the time they were better than petrol .. which id like to say had many of us mechanics laughing our socks off .

Strange how 20 years can do a complete turn around from marvelous to horrible .

i still favour diesel if nothing more than its far less complicated .. it wont leave you with a battery that if it dies you cant dispose of it and in my eyes will give you better mpg .

My opinion only though .. and what do i know .. sigh .

Awesome info, thanks all...

Now I just need to decide on Cayenne vs Panamera!!

I'd be surprised if there was any retrospective taxation changes of second hand diesels. Look how the govt rowed back on the crazy VED changes a few years ago due to pressure from owners of older vehicles.

ULEZ on the other hand, I imagine will be coming to a town near all of us.

veearrsix said:
Awesome info, thanks all...

Now I just need to decide on Cayenne vs Panamera!!

Cayenne any day of the week and all day on a sunday .

Panamera is a good car but its large , turning circle is not as good and it just feels cramped inside .. its a four seater .

Rear view is also poor .. it goes well but imho a Cayenne beats it hands down .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back