Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4S Fuel Sender..?

Pageeey

Hi all.. car has an odd behaviour where unless I fill it, it doesn't recognise it's had any fuel.. it's not the biggest issue as I just brim it every time and then the range etc all works fine and normal, but if I chuck half a tank in it stays wherever it was before...

Dodgy sensor somewhere I assume - easy fix or not worth the hassle..?

This behaviour is normal and is just one of the quirks of the 996.

The gauge can only measure the top two-thirds of fuel in the tank – the remaining third is calculated which means the position of the needle on the dial is only an estimate.

That in itself isn't a problem, as it always errs on the side of caution. Where it does become an issue, though, is when you part-fill the tank from empty. If you only add a few litres of petrol, it won't register and the Porsche 996/997 fuel gauge continues to read empty. The only solution is to add enough fuel to fill more than about one-third of the tank.

This is mainly an issue with four-wheel drive models because the tank is shaped around the front differential like a saddle. However, the rear-wheel drive derivatives also don't give an accurate reading after a relatively small amount of petrol is added to a near-empty tank.

For this reason I always fill it up completely :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back