Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011-2019 0
997 : 2004-2012 1
996 : 1997-2005 31
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 22
Cayman : 2005- 14
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
DucatiRob
Kyalami


Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Posts: 1767
Location: Milton Keynes

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Water Pump Replacement - Metal Gasket Reply with quote

Hi all, advice needed Thumb changing my water pump tomorrow, Pierburg item came with a metal gasket that has a rounded ridge pressed into it! Assuming this type of gasket doesn't need any sort of sealant?
_________________
Present
Carrera C2S Manual-Full Hartech Rebuild
Mercedes CLK DD
Ducati 996
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Dijon


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 7004
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sealant young man and it comes with the oil gasket as well which isn't needed .. the separate bit with a couple of tabs holding it in one piece .. you cut this bit off .

Clean up the surface of the engine before fitting .. scotch brite or emery cloth .
_________________
.

My Daughter's Crowdfunding has hit the target see Here

Thank you all so Very much .



Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
DucatiRob
Kyalami


Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Posts: 1767
Location: Milton Keynes

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
No sealant young man and it comes with the oil gasket as well which isn't needed .. the separate bit with a couple of tabs holding it in one piece .. you cut this bit off .

Clean up the surface of the engine before fitting .. scotch brite or emery cloth .


Cheers deMort Thumb

Hoping this job will be a little easier than the starter cable last week, still bear the scars Sad
_________________
Present
Carrera C2S Manual-Full Hartech Rebuild
Mercedes CLK DD
Ducati 996
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
kurlykris
Indianapolis


Joined: 30 Jun 2014
Posts: 2489
Location: Warwickshire


PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DucatiRob wrote:
deMort wrote:
No sealant young man and it comes with the oil gasket as well which isn't needed .. the separate bit with a couple of tabs holding it in one piece .. you cut this bit off .

Clean up the surface of the engine before fitting .. scotch brite or emery cloth .


Cheers deMort Thumb

Hoping this job will be a little easier than the starter cable last week, still bear the scars Sad


I changed the waterpump on my Boxster a few months back, it`s really straight forward, just make sure you have a 1/4 inch socket set as some of the bolts are tricky to get to Thumb
_________________
1998 996.1 C2 3.4 with "Aerokit Cup"
2006 Boxster S sport chrono
2010 Mercedes E350 AMG Sport

 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
DucatiRob
Kyalami


Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Posts: 1767
Location: Milton Keynes

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurlykris wrote:

I changed the waterpump on my Boxster a few months back, it`s really straight forward, just make sure you have a 1/4 inch socket set as some of the bolts are tricky to get to Thumb


Yes, 1/4 inch socket set to hand Thumb Learned the hard way, nothing is easy to get ay on these cars!
_________________
Present
Carrera C2S Manual-Full Hartech Rebuild
Mercedes CLK DD
Ducati 996
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
chowgar
Monza


Joined: 09 Aug 2014
Posts: 241
Location: London


PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be the season for water pumps to fail. Mine packed up a few days ago on the way home from work. I started to hear the tell tale, rumbling sound coming from the rear of the car and once in the garage, the engine relieved itself of a litre of coolant. Weirdly, that's all the coolant that came out and it just stopped dead after that. I was also surprised at how clean the coolant was, but I did replace it a couple of years ago.

I too have ordered all the parts including; Pierburg water pump and gasket, Coolant and a ribbed belt, just in case the old one was damaged. I'll be driving it in to my Indy next Saturday to have the work done. If, however this is the original water pump that failed, its done bloody well for 96K miles!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 06 Mar 2014
Posts: 16540
Location: The Ribble Valley, Lancashire

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine packed up recently too,
_________________
2000 Manual 996 C4 Arctic Silver Convertible


 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
DucatiRob
Kyalami


Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Posts: 1767
Location: Milton Keynes

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chowgar wrote:
It must be the season for water pumps to fail. Mine packed up a few days ago on the way home from work. I started to hear the tell tale, rumbling sound coming from the rear of the car and once in the garage, the engine relieved itself of a litre of coolant. Weirdly, that's all the coolant that came out and it just stopped dead after that. I was also surprised at how clean the coolant was, but I did replace it a couple of years ago.

I too have ordered all the parts including; Pierburg water pump and gasket, Coolant and a ribbed belt, just in case the old one was damaged. I'll be driving it in to my Indy next Saturday to have the work done. If, however this is the original water pump that failed, its done bloody well for 96K miles!


That's good going to last 96k, mine was at 80k, maybe had a few k more left in it, but with a few Euro trips planned didn't want to risk it! Pig of a job to replace without taking the rear engine bracket off completely so well worth getting an Indy to do it Thumb
_________________
Present
Carrera C2S Manual-Full Hartech Rebuild
Mercedes CLK DD
Ducati 996
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum