Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Interior Temperature Glitch

v6matt

Silverstone
Hi All,

I have a late 997.1 and have noticed the interior temperature/climate control seems to be off.

If I want to heat the interior, if I have it anywhere between 21-23 degrees it doesn't really heat, if I bump it near 27 degrees it then starts to pump in warm air.

Sounds like I have a faulty temp sensor somewhere, understand there are two in a 997. One in the footwells and a smaller one behind the climate control unit somewhere.

Is it the latter, which I believe to be https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod...sche-Boxster---Cayman---996---997-1H0907543A/ ?

If so/or not, how do I replace the part that I need to change.

Thanks

Thanks, I will vacuum that hole.

If not pull it apart and give it a proper clean and check if that micro fan is working.

Can't find anyone that has tried to fix it before, just one reference to someone who replaced the interior climate unit which seems extreme !

I'm afraid if i had a fault on one i would do the same .. but as a garage which has to warranty its work we have little choice im afraid .. hard to tell a customer .. " we think we have fixed it " and then charge them :)

To prove it though i would be looking at the value on a tester and seeing if it was over reading .. it might not be this thats at fault .. but its the logical item atm .

If you remove the unit there are 4 small torx screws that hold the fan in position, and the fan is powered through 4 prongs that insert into a plug mounted on the pcb.

I took mine apart to replace the LCD screen as it had dead pixels causing a 'snowflake' effect. When I put it all back together I didn't see that the pins had not inserted into the plug and I had the same effect you describe as the ambient temperature change was very slow to reach the sensor.

It took me a month or so to figure out, but eventually I pulled the climate unit again and sure enough there was the problem. Unscrewed the fan then refitted with the prongs inserted, and then the little fan kicked in and I haven't noticed the problem since.

Hopefully it's as simple as that. Whilst investigating I also replaced the temp sensor associated with the aircon in the drivers footwell, but that made no difference at all. Luckily the sensor was from EBay & listed for a VW/Skoda & only a few pounds despite being identical to those selling for a lot more & listed for a Porsche!

So I pulled out the unit over the weekend, very easy to do so following my recent lesson whilst fitting the bluetooth unit !

The little fans were indeed working, and I only noticed dust on the fan (see attached). However I have blown through all the holes and removed the dust from the unit so it looks new.

Not sure yet if this has worked but will be taking the car for a long drive over the weekend, which will be a good test !

For anyone who's fan is broken, then it is this one. https://www.ebmpapst.com/media/cont...wnloads/Automotive_datasheet_S2000-002_EN.pdf

Seemingly also found in the 98 generation Ford Focus climate control panel !

Attachments

• whatsapp_image_2019_04_30_at_120202_491.jpeg
    whatsapp_image_2019_04_30_at_120202_491.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,105
  • whatsapp_image_2019_04_30_at_1202021_773.jpeg
    whatsapp_image_2019_04_30_at_1202021_773.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,105

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member