Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Should I refurb my wheels?

INWB

Monza
I'm in a pickle. I like things spot on. Let's start with that.

My turbo twists are not perfect. Sure the fronts are fine. One has a very minor chip but for the most part they are perfect. They even featured in Porsche World magazine.

However, the backs are pretty poor. Someone in the past clearly used strong acidic cleaner and as a result the rims are pretty shoddy. Not rusty but marks of previous weights and the paint is patchy to say the least.

They have been refurbed before and whoever did it didn't use the stock paint colour behind the wheels.

Quote of £75+VAT to do full refurb. I'm fretting. Part of me thinks that I should do it (as only spending on minor service and sorting paint round bumper and bonnet this year).

Other part of me thinks that despite having the most sorted 996 C4S (bar one I have seen that is about equal) I want to try and achieve perfection.

If it is any use the car is now on 71,000 miles.

Thoughts?

Is there a down side to having them done apart from the £300?

INWB said:
Other part of me thinks that despite having the most sorted 996 C4S (bar one I have seen that is about equal) I want to try and achieve perfection.

If it is any use the car is now on 71,000 miles.

Thoughts?

Don't have much to add (I would probably get wheels refurbed, especially at under £90 a corner), but I do want to see a list outlining 'the most sorted C4S".

Something to aspire to :mrgreen:

rdodger said:
Is there a down side to having them done apart from the £300?

+VAT

Not really.

I guess it is because I was thinking of selling. I've had 3 people already interested in it despite me not even advertising. I've decided to keep it until I need it to pay the last of the mortgage off or if we move to ireland.

I will never get that £420ish back so I'm not sure if it is worth it.

Well if it helps if I was looking at buying a near perfect C4S and the wheels were rough I would wonder why that was the case and if other things had been neglected. I would certainly be knocking £100 a corner off for the refurb.

Tatty wheels look horrible on a nice car. I would say spend the £360 inc VAT

Definitely. And when you do, line those centre caps up with the tyre valve :grin:

No brainer - get 'em done. 2nd Best thing I did on mine after fitting a new roof.

Tell 'em you're skint, will they take bangers and mash. Might waiver the vat for you.

rdodger said:
Well if it helps if I was looking at buying a near perfect C4S and the wheels were rough I would wonder why that was the case and if other things had been neglected. I would certainly be knocking £100 a corner off for the refurb.

Tatty wheels look horrible on a nice car. I would say spend the £360 inc VAT

This.

If I went to view a car and the seller was telling me it was the most sorted example in the country, yet they clearly hadn't spent a few hundred quid on fixing some rough wheels I would then assume the same approach had been taken with the rest of the upkeep.

I fail to see what the downside is, other than £300 + VAT.

That said, when I had some dents done in my cars rear wing, I stood back and admired the car, with a front PU that had not long been repainted and thought "Its pretty much spot-on".

Next day driving to work, a huge stone was thrown from under an oncoming van's wheels and BANG put a nice big stone chip and crack in the base of the PU :x

Then next year, I spotted another dent in the rear wing. Which I had fixed.

The other day, I spotted another blimmin dent in the rear wing, and it literally had not been parked anywhere with a car next to it, apart from my DD. I have come to the conclusion there is a malevolent pixie with a hammer living in the garage.

Skimping on getting the wheels refurbed and having the most sorted 996 C4S out there (bar one) do not really seen compatible.

Refurbishing wheels is a cheap way to improve your car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back