Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ppi information share?

Hertsdriver

Hi all,

I'm going through the motions of looking at 997's and arranging poi's etc and had a thought, should we share info about cars we have paid to be inspected here? Could save us all time and expense chasing cars that have shown to have defects?

Thoughts?

My guess is that would fall under data protection laws , need a mod or Sundeep to comment really as i know i personally cant reveal any info to anyone other than the person that pays the bill .. but i'm in the trade whilst most of you are not .

What happens if the seller has resolved the issues post PPI? Sounds a bit unfair to me.

Just to say, data protection laws (GDPR) only cover personal data and not information pertaining to items for sale provided no personal info is shared so obviously sharing / publishing details of previous owners would be a breach (without permission). However, stating forum names which are pseudonyms for example "that was squelch's old car" would be allowed.

Having called main dealers to track down a car's service history, all too often the knee-jerk response is "blah blah data protection." Knowing if a timing belt has been replaced or when the oil was last changed is certainly not a breach of data protection laws! And just recently I had to call Southern Electric to find out a meter reading of a property (that I own) that a tenant had given them and was told "I can't give you that due to data protection". I explained the error of their ways and they put me on hold while they checked with their supervisor. I was promptly given an apology and the meter reading.

Anyway, whether or not someone is happy to freely share a report which they've paid for is entirely up to them - and provided they do not breach the GDPR they are absolutely free to share it (they bought the report, after all).

And if a PPI flags an item of concern then sharing the info would be great for potential buyers (ie consumers) and the seller is entirely at liberty to provide the evidence that it has been addressed or justify why it has not. The company carrying out the PPI may not be happy with it being shared as I'm sure they'll gladly take another potential buyer's money for the same report if the opportunity arose - so it's worth checking their T's&C's before sharing.

Plus we've had plenty of "Does anyone know much about Porsche car with reg AB12CDE ?" threads which are not dissimilar to what's being proposed here.

If you've been missold a PPI I'm sure there are companies who want to ring you. :D

What Squelsh said

"data protection laws (GDPR) only cover personal data and not information pertaining to items for sale provided no personal info is shared"

the forum is based on sharing information on a car's history, good, bad and the ugly

for example this un-recorded crash car http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118405

or this car with an engine failure http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=128634

in the same way cars have an Insurance write off Cat S/C/D/N (used to be Cat A/B/C/D) well if that was kept secret that would make buying a car interesting !

If a seller knows of a defect, private or trade, and does not reveal it when asked then they are liable in the event of a problem (AFAIK).

Proving they knew would be the tricky part of course.

If the data protection question is answered then to make this thread a go it needs to be in a general section and not model specific and it needs to be made a sticky .

Im guessing a seperate forum for this is not possible ?

It would dump all of these questions into one place if it is ... basically in its own section you just input a reg number for the thread and have a list of them .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back