Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Centre Gravity - What can I expect ?

Milo72

Spa-Francorchamps
I've got new springs and a few other suspension parts so booked in at CG, other than making sure everyone is straight and pointing in the right direction what can I expect?

Tea making duties. :D

As well as that, well it's hard to express what Chris and Pete do, until you've seen for yourself.

Until I'd been (with Craig's car not mine I must add) I thought 'Well what can they actually do above your usual alignment setup? There's only a set number of adjustment points so how can they do it any differently?".
Once you're there though and Chris explains what he's doing and more importantly why, you start to get an idea of just how much he knows.
Again it's hard to explain but I'm sure you'll come away wowed by their knowledge and wowed by how your car drives.

Your day will start with Chris asking how you drive the car, where, passengers usually or none, etc etc. He'll then go out in the car, with you and him having a go of your car on his test route. He'll explain what he's about to do with the car and what he should see. When the car does or doesn't do that he'll explain why and what needs to alter.

Once back at the workshop he'll set about it with the most methodical, intricate approach you've ever seen. It's a really good day and I guarantee you'll learn something.

Once it's all done you'll leave safe in the knowledge that your car is the absolute best it possibly can be with the current set of components you have on there.

Honestly it's a masterclass and to top it off they're just two really nice blokes.
We saw Chris and Pete at the Oulton RS day the other week and they were only too happy to give us pax rides in Chris's old white 911, again explaining what the car was doing and what would need to change as the rain came down, which it did.

It's not cheap, but expert knowledge and ability costs money. To even think of it along the same lines as 'just another alignment setup" would be criminal.

Enjoy it and more importantly enjoy your car once it's done. You'll have a great day. :thumb:

A good car on the way there, an amazing car on the way home :bandit:

The most comprehensive, thorough, structured approach to desired chassis behaviour from two very competent guys (Chris and Pete) who really do know what they are doing and are passionate about doing anything they lay their hands on just right every time.

They set up my Turbo in 2015 and it handles a dream, as if its on rails.

If you want a 45 - 60 minute setup on a Hunter laser alignment jig, then CoG is not for you. Go and take it to any indy or Kwik Fit.

Chassis work is all that CoG do. They do not do the usual indy servicing, they do not do engine rebuilds, they do not do mechanical work save only for any components that make up the suspension, steering and braking system (and of course anything in the final drive train that puts the power down through the wheels).

Do it. You won't regret it. And you'll get to know those areas of the car I've highlighted very much inside out. Its a 200 mile round trip for me - but worth it. They have people who bring their cars over from Ireland, the French Riviera and even Scotland!

You should try using them sometime. Then you'd also know.

Marky911 said:
Tea making duties. :D

Think I drank an inordinate amount of tea in the two days I was there :D

One of the best things for me was that everything they do is explained to you in a friendly manner and they take their time to answer any questions you have with the kind of enthusiasm that only people that really enjoy what they do can!

Plan to take mine there at least every other year :thumb:

sim996 said:
Quite a big bill
Lots of time waiting
Your response indicates unhappiness with your experience. Care to elaborate?

I would agree with sim996 but I am also very happy with my time spent at CG.

There is bound to be a fair amount of waiting unless you decide to leave your car but talking to Chris and Pete (and their other halves) and other customers is a major part of the experience.

I took a good book but ended up reading one of theirs and lots of mags.

The cost, well I can only say you get what you pay for. I'd also spent a lot on Ohlins and other parts and didn't want to compromise.

One or two posts have mentioned the cost, but CoG's hourly labour rate is £90 including VAT (or £99 if you supply parts) and I think that's great value considering the expertise that you are purchasing.

I've never been anywhere else that involves you as much as Chris and Pete do - it's refreshing to be able to look under your own car while they explain what they're doing and why.

I just wish they were closer than 150 miles away from me but it's worth the drive.

Milo72 said:
I've got new springs and a few other suspension parts so booked in at CG, other than making sure everyone is straight and pointing in the right direction what can I expect?

Perfection :thumb:

I think £90 per hour is very reasonable for what they do, an OPC charges way more and don't offer this service!

That.
MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back