Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bore scoring

Stewtomcat

Hi all was looking at a 2006 Carrera S and the bore score is that 2 cylinders are showing cause for concern !! I take it that it's a walk away scenario as they are firm on the price of £27500 . I am in scotland and the choice is limited lol and don't have much spare time to travel south .

Walk away. I take it the info on the two cylinders is from a report? You've probably saved yourself a bit of grief although these engines can go on for a quite a while before you need a rebuild. I wouldn't take the chance especially at that price.

Good luck with the hunt and there's got to be a car out there with your name on it. :thumb:

Stewtomcat said:
Hi all was looking at a 2006 Carrera S and the bore score is that 2 cylinders are showing cause for concern !! I take it that it's a walk away scenario as they are firm on the price of £27500 . I am in scotland and the choice is limited lol and don't have much spare time to travel south .

I'm from Dundee, I'd say for the right car I'd travel anywhere in Britain. I travelled to 911 Virgin down near Heathrow to buy and drive back my 911.

As above I wouldn't try to put rose tinted glasses on it. The car will cost you on a rebuild. At least you did a PPI on it to save any hassle later down the road.

What spec was the car?

A few marks .. to be honest with a close up camera then you will see something on at least one bore .. to say its a problem would mean obvious single or multiple grooves .

There is a big difference between someone like me saying its got a few marks to saying its a bit concerning .. if i said that i would be meaning .. its bad .

I think the best response is... well done!
You have saved yourself a headache.
That said, if everything else works you could offer them £20k, it will still cost you a bit from there but you would have a new engine.
Doesn't sound like they will take the deal though so move on.

You did the right thing. Would you sleep peacefully knowing what you saw from the borescope? :?:

Do you have the pics? Would be worth asking for them and posting on here for info for others if nothing else!

If the inspection was done by someone who knows what they are looking for then walk away, or offer £20k and pay no more - a Hartech rebuild will cost £8k+

Apologies to the OP as I have no experience in this area though some questions do arise..?

I guess there is bore scoring and BORE SCORING and defining the difference between the two in terms of the ability to run the car or advisable not to, would seem to be a question worth asking..?

On the assumption that the car will be driven like a sports car on occasion, I wonder if running an engine with scored bores might be OK for at least some period of time given some Porsches may cover no more than circa 3k miles a year..? The cost of replenishing burned oil seems to have potential to be negligable in terms of normal running costs on a circa 3k p.a. usage ..?

I am guessing that with bores that are scored, dependant on the depth of the scores between negligible and actual grooves, I wonder if the exhaust gas readings ( excessive oil contamination) would perhaps give some idea of the degree of scoring ...and whether it is reasonable to run the vehicle at all..?

Another question would seem to be.. do oil consumption figures give any idea of when it is advisable to stop running the vehicle, and seek a repair process...?

Also if oil is being burned, as opposed to being leaked out, does that put the cats at risk of being contaminated to the extent they might require replacement...?

Again with no experience, perhaps consideration relative to the chance of MOT failure relative to exhaust gas readings when buying a car with suspected bore scoring of some degree could be important..?

On the assumption that the car will be driven like a sports car on occasion I wonder if running an engine with scored bores might be OK for at least some period of time given some Porsches may cover no more than circa 3k miles a year..?

If it is inadvisable to run a car with bore scores, then paying out cash in the knowledge of having to pay out more cash to repair it, seems a tad risky, when costs are not easy to define, not only that but how long might any repair process might take.

Just too many questions to be gambling that sort of cash, for the likes of me...

I am with everyone else , yes it may possibly only be borescuff and you will see that on every engine, but if its borescope thats been diagnosed correctly then its an 18/20k car only max and will at some point over the next 2/5k miles want a rebuild.
but unless you know what your getting into and are getting it at the right price there are lots of nice ones out there at high 20s money . maybe less where you are but dont rush the right car will come along .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back