Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 15
997 : 2004- 76
996 : 1997-2005 30
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 16
Cayman : 2005- 18
Cayenne : 2003- 5
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
nickjonesn4
Nürburgring


Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 468
Location: Edinburgh


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Brakes - to upgrade or not Reply with quote

Hello All,

Just about to book my car into SPAutobahn for post-winter jobs. Chief amongst these is the discs and pads need changing and my mind has wandered to the pros and cons of upgrading the brakes to the package on the Carnewal website

http://www.carnewal.com/products/993/p93133/Big-Red-Brake-Package

Am still planning engine upgrade work this year now my wallet has recovered from last year's extravaganza and also booked in for several track days so inching towards going for it. Any thoughts from those who have made the change ??
_________________
1996 Carrera 2S Vesuvius Metallic
2016 Golf R
2005 E55K Wagon
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Sutton
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 296
Location: Surrey


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never felt I needed bigger brakes, even on track. I tend to use engine braking together with the brakes, even on the road.

The bigger brakes increase unsprung weight too so I was looking at two piece front brakes from Racing Brake.

https://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Two-piece-Rotor-for-Porsche-993-non-Turbo-Fro-p/2519.htm

They are the same size as standard brakes but have an aluminium hat. The other option to have a look at, is better cooling for the front discs from Gert.


http://www.carnewal.com/products/993/p93061/Brake-Ducts-with-Fog-lights
_________________
1994 993 C4
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
cableguy
Kyalami


Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 1902
Location: North Yorkshire


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard brakes in well serviced and good order should be all the brake you'll ever need on UK roads IMO.
I actually prefer the look of the understated standard Black Caliper, Red has always been a little "shouty" for my liking! Grin

C.
_________________
Pork!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
tyinsky
Montreal


Joined: 29 Jun 2012
Posts: 609
Location: London, UK

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got these on my car. No idea if they make much difference but they look nice Grin
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
nickjonesn4
Nürburgring


Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 468
Location: Edinburgh


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutton wrote:
I never felt I needed bigger brakes, even on track. I tend to use engine braking together with the brakes, even on the road.

The bigger brakes increase unsprung weight too so I was looking at two piece front brakes from Racing Brake.

https://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Two-piece-Rotor-for-Porsche-993-non-Turbo-Fro-p/2519.htm

They are the same size as standard brakes but have an aluminium hat. The other option to have a look at, is better cooling for the front discs from Gert.


http://www.carnewal.com/products/993/p93061/Brake-Ducts-with-Fog-lights


Cheers. I had the same thought on unsprung weight, interesting option in upgrading the discs. Presumably the pads can be upgraded also.

Will take a look at the cooling option also Thumb
_________________
1996 Carrera 2S Vesuvius Metallic
2016 Golf R
2005 E55K Wagon
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
nickjonesn4
Nürburgring


Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 468
Location: Edinburgh


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cableguy wrote:
Standard brakes in well serviced and good order should be all the brake you'll ever need on UK roads IMO.
I actually prefer the look of the understated standard Black Caliper, Red has always been a little "shouty" for my liking! Grin

C.


Hey Carl. Yes I agree on the road use more from experience cooking brakes on track in other cars.

100% on the black calipers. Red would look hideous with the colour of my car so would have to tricolour anyway. Did 928s not have "big blacks"?
_________________
1996 Carrera 2S Vesuvius Metallic
2016 Golf R
2005 E55K Wagon
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
nickjonesn4
Nürburgring


Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 468
Location: Edinburgh


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyinsky wrote:
Got these on my car. No idea if they make much difference but they look nice Grin


Floor Floor modding for moddings sake
_________________
1996 Carrera 2S Vesuvius Metallic
2016 Golf R
2005 E55K Wagon
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
cableguy
Kyalami


Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 1902
Location: North Yorkshire


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickjonesn4 wrote:
cableguy wrote:
Standard brakes in well serviced and good order should be all the brake you'll ever need on UK roads IMO.
I actually prefer the look of the understated standard Black Caliper, Red has always been a little "shouty" for my liking! Grin

C.


Hey Carl. Yes I agree on the road use more from experience cooking brakes on track in other cars.

100% on the black calipers. Red would look hideous with the colour of my car so would have to tricolour anyway. Did 928s not have "big blacks"?


The 928 manufactured in the same year was a good 200kgs+ heavier so it's possible the anchors were a little beefier, particularly with the V8 lump over the front axle. Wink

C.
_________________
Pork!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Endoman
Barcelona


Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 1321
Location: Bolton U.K.


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Std 928 calipers and discs were same as 993 but mounted trailing and different disc offset
928 GTS "Big Blacks" were same size as 993RS and Turbo "Big Reds"
I have 993 std calipers on my 944 front same size as M030 with 928 discs but you have to flip the bleeder and cross pipe and you need an adapter to mount them radially. With normal Textar pads they work really well on track.
I agree that std discs and calipers on a 993 in good order are totally adequate even for trackday use.
_________________
Porsche 944 S2 Coupe Guards Red
Porsche 993 Coupe 9m RS Replica
 



Old hall oulton park.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.81 KB
 Viewed:  533 Time(s)

Old hall oulton park.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
stuttgartmetal
Indianapolis


Joined: 23 Feb 2009
Posts: 2407
Location: Caterham. Surrey


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plate lift no doubt
Get the calipers refurbed, and discs and pads from Eurocarparts
Your problems will all be behind you.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
nickjonesn4
Nürburgring


Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 468
Location: Edinburgh


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endoman wrote:
Std 928 calipers and discs were same as 993 but mounted trailing and different disc offset
928 GTS "Big Blacks" were same size as 993RS and Turbo "Big Reds"

I agree that std discs and calipers on a 993 in good order are totally adequate even for trackday use.


Cheers. I knew I had read that somewhere on the "big blacks", didn't know it was GTS only.

I will go ahead and get the discs and pads changed and then take it from there. Will get the calipers checked over and refurbed if necessary.
_________________
1996 Carrera 2S Vesuvius Metallic
2016 Golf R
2005 E55K Wagon
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
stuttgartmetal
Indianapolis


Joined: 23 Feb 2009
Posts: 2407
Location: Caterham. Surrey


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plate lift no doubt
Get the calipers refurbed, and discs and pads from Eurocarparts
Your problems will all be behind you.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
nickjonesn4
Nürburgring


Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 468
Location: Edinburgh


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuttgartmetal wrote:
Plate lift no doubt
Get the calipers refurbed, and discs and pads from Eurocarparts
Your problems will all be behind you.


Thanks. There is a massive sale at eurocarparts at the mo, just bought discs and pads for my AMG at 40% discount
_________________
1996 Carrera 2S Vesuvius Metallic
2016 Golf R
2005 E55K Wagon
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
stuttgartmetal
Indianapolis


Joined: 23 Feb 2009
Posts: 2407
Location: Caterham. Surrey


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plate lift no doubt
Get the calipers refurbed, and discs and pads from Eurocarparts
Your problems will all be behind you.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
nickjonesn4
Nürburgring


Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 468
Location: Edinburgh


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuttgartmetal wrote:
Plate lift no doubt
Get the calipers refurbed, and discs and pads from Eurocarparts
Your problems will all be behind you.


Are the Sebro discs the OEM option?
_________________
1996 Carrera 2S Vesuvius Metallic
2016 Golf R
2005 E55K Wagon
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
nickjonesn4
Nürburgring


Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 468
Location: Edinburgh


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone is after discs and pads there is 55% off on eurocarparts for the next 30 mins. Just about to pay £412 all in
_________________
1996 Carrera 2S Vesuvius Metallic
2016 Golf R
2005 E55K Wagon
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Dream911
Indianapolis


Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Posts: 2425
Location: London


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickjonesn4 wrote:
stuttgartmetal wrote:
Plate lift no doubt
Get the calipers refurbed, and discs and pads from Eurocarparts
Your problems will all be behind you.


Thanks. There is a massive sale at eurocarparts at the mo, just bought discs and pads for my AMG at 40% discount


Make sure you check around. Often they are the cheapest but the saving aren’t quite what they seem as they hike up the price prior to the “big sale”. Bought a new Bosch S5 battery from them in the weekend as I need it within the hour so clicked and collected for £98 using the 50% off code so down from £196 but it’s hardly 50% when the std price on their sister site carparts4less lists the same battery for £128 (and they always have £15 off) and I could have bought from a few other places at £100.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MisterCorn
Long Beach


Joined: 08 Jan 2011
Posts: 6845
Location: Nottingham, England

2004 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for batteries if there is a branch near you when you need to swap under warranty.

MC
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
nickjonesn4
Nürburgring


Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 468
Location: Edinburgh


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream911 wrote:
nickjonesn4 wrote:
stuttgartmetal wrote:
Plate lift no doubt
Get the calipers refurbed, and discs and pads from Eurocarparts
Your problems will all be behind you.


Thanks. There is a massive sale at eurocarparts at the mo, just bought discs and pads for my AMG at 40% discount


Make sure you check around. Often they are the cheapest but the saving aren’t quite what they seem as they hike up the price prior to the “big sale”. Bought a new Bosch S5 battery from them in the weekend as I need it within the hour so clicked and collected for £98 using the 50% off code so down from £196 but it’s hardly 50% when the std price on their sister site carparts4less lists the same battery for £128 (and they always have £15 off) and I could have bought from a few other places at £100.


Had a quick check and the brake parts are a brilliant deal. Just deleted the battery from the basket however!!
_________________
1996 Carrera 2S Vesuvius Metallic
2016 Golf R
2005 E55K Wagon
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
nickjonesn4
Nürburgring


Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 468
Location: Edinburgh


PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the view on braided hoses with SS connectors, goodridge or similar as an upgrade whilst the brakes are being done?
_________________
1996 Carrera 2S Vesuvius Metallic
2016 Golf R
2005 E55K Wagon
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum