Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brakes - to upgrade or not

nickjonesn4

Hello All,

Just about to book my car into SPAutobahn for post-winter jobs. Chief amongst these is the discs and pads need changing and my mind has wandered to the pros and cons of upgrading the brakes to the package on the Carnewal website

http://www.carnewal.com/products/993/p93133/Big-Red-Brake-Package

Am still planning engine upgrade work this year now my wallet has recovered from last year's extravaganza and also booked in for several track days so inching towards going for it. Any thoughts from those who have made the change ??

I never felt I needed bigger brakes, even on track. I tend to use engine braking together with the brakes, even on the road.

The bigger brakes increase unsprung weight too so I was looking at two piece front brakes from Racing Brake.

https://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Two-piece-Rotor-for-Porsche-993-non-Turbo-Fro-p/2519.htm

They are the same size as standard brakes but have an aluminium hat. The other option to have a look at, is better cooling for the front discs from Gert.

http://www.carnewal.com/products/993/p93061/Brake-Ducts-with-Fog-lights

Standard brakes in well serviced and good order should be all the brake you'll ever need on UK roads IMO.
I actually prefer the look of the understated standard Black Caliper, Red has always been a little "shouty" for my liking! :grin:

C.

Sutton said:
I never felt I needed bigger brakes, even on track. I tend to use engine braking together with the brakes, even on the road.

The bigger brakes increase unsprung weight too so I was looking at two piece front brakes from Racing Brake.

https://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Two-piece-Rotor-for-Porsche-993-non-Turbo-Fro-p/2519.htm

They are the same size as standard brakes but have an aluminium hat. The other option to have a look at, is better cooling for the front discs from Gert.

http://www.carnewal.com/products/993/p93061/Brake-Ducts-with-Fog-lights

Cheers. I had the same thought on unsprung weight, interesting option in upgrading the discs. Presumably the pads can be upgraded also.

Will take a look at the cooling option also :thumb:

cableguy said:
Standard brakes in well serviced and good order should be all the brake you'll ever need on UK roads IMO.
I actually prefer the look of the understated standard Black Caliper, Red has always been a little "shouty" for my liking! :grin:

C.

Hey Carl. Yes I agree on the road use more from experience cooking brakes on track in other cars.

100% on the black calipers. Red would look hideous with the colour of my car so would have to tricolour anyway. Did 928s not have "big blacks"?

tyinsky said:
Got these on my car. No idea if they make much difference but they look nice :grin:

:floor: :floor: modding for moddings sake

nickjonesn4 said:
cableguy said:

C.

Hey Carl. Yes I agree on the road use more from experience cooking brakes on track in other cars.

100% on the black calipers. Red would look hideous with the colour of my car so would have to tricolour anyway. Did 928s not have "big blacks"?

The 928 manufactured in the same year was a good 200kgs+ heavier so it's possible the anchors were a little beefier, particularly with the V8 lump over the front axle. :wink:

C.

Std 928 calipers and discs were same as 993 but mounted trailing and different disc offset
928 GTS "Big Blacks" were same size as 993RS and Turbo "Big Reds"
I have 993 std calipers on my 944 front same size as M030 with 928 discs but you have to flip the bleeder and cross pipe and you need an adapter to mount them radially. With normal Textar pads they work really well on track.
I agree that std discs and calipers on a 993 in good order are totally adequate even for trackday use.

Attachments

• old_hall_oulton_park_171.jpg
    old_hall_oulton_park_171.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 2,428
Plate lift no doubt
Get the calipers refurbed, and discs and pads from Eurocarparts
Your problems will all be behind you.

Endoman said:
Std 928 calipers and discs were same as 993 but mounted trailing and different disc offset
928 GTS "Big Blacks" were same size as 993RS and Turbo "Big Reds"

I agree that std discs and calipers on a 993 in good order are totally adequate even for trackday use.

Cheers. I knew I had read that somewhere on the "big blacks", didn't know it was GTS only.

I will go ahead and get the discs and pads changed and then take it from there. Will get the calipers checked over and refurbed if necessary.

Plate lift no doubt

stuttgartmetal said:
Plate lift no doubt

Thanks. There is a massive sale at eurocarparts at the mo, just bought discs and pads for my AMG at 40% discount

Plate lift no doubt

stuttgartmetal said:
Plate lift no doubt

Are the Sebro discs the OEM option?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members