Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3.6 Cam Locking Tool

Alex

Nordschleife
I've been asked a couple of times recently if I have any of the 3.6 cam locking tools I used to make, so the other week I did a run of them at work. If anyone's interested in getting one then ping me a message for details.

As I know some of you like seeing the Engineering processes I thought I'd do a bit of a write-up on the manufacturing process:

I make the tools from Gauge Plate. It's a Tool Steel in it's annealed state so can be machined. It can be hardened if required but for this job it's tough enough in its annealed state. More here:
https://www.westyorkssteel.com/tool-steel/gauge-plate-ground-flat-stock/

First job is to chop the plate up into smaller pieces and drill a couple of holes in them so they can be mounted on a jig ready for maching the profile on my CNC Miller..

GfggbZZ.jpg

The jig is pretty simple. Just a block of Aluminium with a couple of M6 tapped holes in (same position and orientation as the drilled holes in the plate.

y1cTQ8z.jpg

Each piece then bolts directly on the jig ready for machining.

nNaMaCP.jpg

Once all the tooling is set up for each process: roughing out profile, finishing profile, machining 8mm slot, machining step, then the action can begin.

First job is to rough out the profile using a 'ripper' End Mill.

Here it is roughed out ready with 0.1mm left on for finishing.

X70iMfG.jpg

Then a finish cut is done with a standard End Mill to take the profile to size and leave a smoother finish on.

ICJqytS.jpg

Next process is to machine a stepp across the central part that bolts to the engine block.

Like so:

zClva0x.jpg

.....and the last process on the Miller is to machine the 8mm slot in the central part (for the bolt to go through when locking the cams.

0WT8U8X.jpg

There's all the milling done.

Os1NVLk.jpg

The material is ground to 6mm + a few hundredths so to ensure it goes into the slots on the cams and to make it look a bit nicer I give it a quick lick on the top & bottom on the Surface Grinder.

YgdsGZD.jpg

Shazaam - the finished article.

buV0pO1.jpg

A quick deburr with an oil stone and demagnetise it to remove any magnetism from the magnetic chuck on the Surface Grinder and they're good to go:

xuALv3K.jpg

6KT1Kqw.jpg

FoyXIxj.jpg

Hope you enjoyed "A day in the life of Alex" :)

Certainly did :thumb:
MC

For those with a sharp eye, I missed documenting the last process of squaring the corners out on the lugs that lock in the cams. I did this with all the tools stacked together on my Surface Grinder.

Great write up.....

Thanks for sending mine so quickly.....much appreciated!

No problem my friend. We're all in it together and I always like to bring something to the party. :)

Hey Alex, my tool arrived today! Beautiful work! Hard to put it away in tool box as it's so pretty....might have to mount on the wall :thumbs: Thanks!

:worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back