Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dash Cam use inFrance

Curious2

Trainee
Heading for Stuttgart next week and passing through France. I know the French police can get very nasty if they see a radar detector on the windscreen etc. Has anyone had problems convincing these gentlemen that a Nextbase dash cam is just that and not a speed trap detector.

Anyone been caught with a detector?

Do they nick it and fine you?

:dont know:

I dunno, but I do know if they catch you on a Goped on the public road they cut your pull-start chord off. :oops:

I doubt you'll have bother with a dash cam. I'm using mine when I go.

The French are a horrible nation especially their plod !
Beautiful country though :dont know:

From PistonHeads circa 2008:

"Monday 24th November 2008quotequote all
Hi Everyone, just a word of warning, I know that this has already been widely published, but thought some of you might want a reminder, if you (like me) find yourself crossing the Channel and have forgotten to leave your radar detector at home.

if you are stuck with it, I strongly recommend that you (A) Remove all evidence of it from your windshield and (B) hide it somewhere well out of sight.

I stopped to fill up at Orleans the other night, only to find a pair of Gendarmes circling my car. Like a moron, I'd left the Radar Detector mount on the windshield next to my Sat Nav.

The Gendarme jumped out, pointed to the mount and asked me what it was for and I told him. Next question was 'Where is your radar detector'. Knowing that they *can* search your vehicle for it, at this point I (stupidly ?) told him that it was disconnected, in the boot, under a suitcase (all true), thinking that I might get a letoff for being honest, speaking to him in French and generally being courteous (I knew that detectors are banned in France).

There followed a couple of hours of enjoyable (Not) paperwork at the local gendarmerie and a 750 Euro CASH payment (several trips to the ATM) and confiscation of the unit itself.

I listened to the Gendarmes talking amongst themselves in French and gather that they quite regularly enjoy 'taxing' Brits on radar detectors as they are well aware that they are legal here in the UK and that if you've a reasonably fast motor there is a good chance you will have one on you.

In addition (also mentioned in this forum), it is also worth making copies of V5/registration docs as the first thing they ask for if you get pulled over are the 'papiers du vehicle' - Registration Docs - The French have to carry these around (called 'Carte Grise' in France) at all times and the coppers get a bit arsy when you explain that in the UK you are generally advised to store at home in a safe place !.

I also noticed a HUGE increase in mobile speed traps/Gendarmes on bikes, etc, even travelling through France on a quiet midweek in November, compared to 10 years ago (also covered in this forum). 10 years ago, you would see a load of French registered cars travelling quite happily at 150km/h+, whereas I noticed that today, almost all the locals are stuck on the 130km/h limit for fear of getting nicked.

so, entirely my own fault, but hope this posting saves a few of you the same painful experience smile

Cheers."

Forgot to say in my last post the French plod hate us as echoed above, be watertight, they are complete walkers ! :cop:

Why have a dash cam in a 911 in any country?

Surely thats a recipe for disaster!!

6appeal said:
Why have a dash cam in a 911 in any country?

Surely thats a recipe for disaster!!

Have to agree with you there... radar detector, sure. Dash cam :?:

:thumb:

Bonjour bonjour bonjour quelle vitesse alliez-vous monsieur

They are on your case OP even as advice is posted.
z.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back