Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

EU imposed speed restrictions

Won't bother the French, they don't buy new cars :grin:

Something has to fill the EU pot once one of the top 3 leave.

Strangely the worlds safest drivers are from outside the EU!

spongebob squarepants said:

They soon will be .................!

I find this highly disconcerting. Any car sold before the introduction of these devices had just become more valuable in my eyes.
Big Brother stuff
Does this mean the end of performance brands from BMW,AUDI, Merc etc.
What does this me A for performance brands in general?

Interesting to see how the big German manufacturers respond to this - can't imaging Mercedes/BMW taking it lightly that the C63/M5 will be redundant...

spongebob squarepants said:

That's right!

Saudi Arabia :floor:

As I understand it, it's purely advisory. If you're doing (say) 80 in a 70 limit, a warning sign, or an audio warning, would appear. Keep your foot on the accelerator and the warnings go away. Or you can switch the system off completely, as with stop/start.

However, I suspect that cars will become increasingly regulated in what they can do (at the expense of driver autonomy) in the future; perhaps cars without such nanny state features will become sought after.

If you're in to good music, have a listen to "Red Barchetta" by Rush - it describes a big brother future where renegade drivers "escape the eyes" and race around the countryside in defiance of the authorities.

I guess it depends on how the speed limiter is implemented anyway. I would expect that it would be set to not go over the posted speed limit on the current road, or to only allow that for a certain time. So in Germany on an unrestricted autobahn it won't have any effect, on a 30mph road in a built up area it would. Likewise on a track day or airfield there are still no limits.
What it will mean is that in 10 years time the majority of cars on the roads will be fitted with these devices and as a result the police will no longer bother with fixed and mobile speed cameras as they would catch fewer and fewer people. As a result those people who have older cars will be less likely to get caught by a speed camera.
I can imagine a big backlash against this from driving organisations. To my mind it wouldn't be unreasonable in built up areas, so anything with a 30 limit or lower, but then I suspect it would be the whole slippery slope thing and before you know it it will apply everywhere, and as they seem to do anyway the speed limits will be reduced for no apparent reason.

MC

Not be long before Google are dobbing you in to the law for excessive speeding.

alex yates said:
Not be long before Google are dobbing you in to the law for excessive speeding.

Will not be long before Google IS the law.....

:-(

As you might guess from my forum I.D. I have a few frustrations relative to technological advance, as would seem entirely natural for a grumpy old man... (-:

I seem to remember quite a few years back that Volvo tecs had thought it a great idea if the police could remotely shut down a vehicles ECU as opposed to engaging in car chases, though looks like nothing came of that...yet...?

Whether you think the use of technology in that regard a good idea or not matters not a jot, as technology ever evolves and uses will be found for it, some very good, others very bad, and everything in between.. judgements made can be made dependant on YOUR point of view..?

As T8 pointed out it seems cars in general are becoming ever larger, to add to that it also seems they are becoming more comfortable, as well as more performant and perhaps more insular relative to the road outside one`s chosen box.. Also it seems finding a free bit of Tarmac might just be getting more difficult on this little island given the record numbers of vehicles on the road in more recent years...? JEEZ even the roads in the highlands and islands of Scotland are suffering overcrowding in the Summer months. All of which seems to require trips to the track for some in order to really enjoy HOW MANY HORSEPOWER...!!!

Each to their own, but does it not seem rather obvious where technology will take us, though at what speed would seem to be be anyone`s guess...?

Me..? Like anyone of my generation with Luddite tendencies, I baled out in frustration when technology seemed to be dragging me out of my comfort zone, which seems kinda normal for folk of a certain age, though perhaps best not to allow ones self to become any kind of fundamentalist nutter... plenty of those to go around..?

I suspect there are many many reasons around our choice of vehicles relative to that which we NEED them to provide or hope they might add relative to our lifestyle choices..? When I started out the only way I could afford to run any kind of machine was if I could repair it myself, thus when I type of baling out, that was at a time when technology contrived to exclude me from successfully repairing my vehicle in varying degrees relative to the passage of time..

There is still motoring enjoyment to be had at other than at warp speed if you care to seek it out. I took the liberty of posting links to a Vintage rally recently, a very different kind of fun and rather expensive too I imagine...? Last weekend as another kind of alternative, I stood on a occasionally wet and very windy hill watching folk enjoy their vehicles in a Production Car Trial... (PCT) Not your kind of thing perhaps, but there were two 996 Porsches in the car park so perhaps some Porsche owners are open to seeking alternatives in motoring enjoyment...?

On the road..? perhaps bigger bulky ever faster and more comfortable machinery may seem less than ideal when seeking some form of sensory returns when on a narrow twisting road with a 60mph speed limit, though I suspect fun can be had, if one can match the machine to ones desires and whatever Tarmac opportunities might be available..? Perhaps a Cabrio or Targa or at least an open sunroof and windows might just increase awareness of one`s surroundings and tingle the senses just a tad more... while within the legal speed limit..?

Just be careful out there, the silly season is just about to begin.. :?:

Counter Of Beans said:
As I understand it, it's purely advisory. If you're doing (say) 80 in a 70 limit, a warning sign, or an audio warning, would appear. Keep your foot on the accelerator and the warnings go away. Or you can switch the system off completely, as with stop/start.

However, I suspect that cars will become increasingly regulated in what they can do (at the expense of driver autonomy) in the future; perhaps cars without such nanny state features will become sought after.

If you're in to good music, have a listen to "Red Barchetta" by Rush - it describes a big brother future where renegade drivers "escape the eyes" and race around the countryside in defiance of the authorities.

Ha ha ha, sounds like Rush have seen it coming!

Five years from now there will be grumpy auld fekkers like me flying round all the B roads creating havoc.... :lol:

The most concerning part is the black box. Any accidents and they will have data to use against you or for any claim I suspect whether at fault or not.

Its just us getting closer to self driving cars. Enjoy it while you can or simply just don't buy a new car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back