Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Slight clunking noise on take off, then loud drone

Rob325114

Hi all,

On the way home from work this evening I noticed a slight clunk from the rear when taking off from a standstill. It's really slight, but seems to be just as the transmission engages to move the car forward.

Then, more worryingly I noticed a loud droning noise when accelerating on the motorway. Its only once you're getting around the 4/5kprm Mark. Almost like the exhaust is blowing.

The car is under OPC, but they can't get it in until next week, and it's my daily. Any ideas? Would you continue to drive?

Might be worth enquiring if any local garage/exhaust centre might put it on their ramp for no more than a few minutes to have a quick look for anything obvious..? A reasonable donation to the tea and buns kitty might be all that is required.. :?:

if that is not possible have someone rev it to 4-5k and roll around on the ground to feel, see, smell if exhaust it exiting from other than the tail pipes.. or very temporarily hold something in front of one of the tailpipes to block it off and listen for exhaust exiting from elsewhere, repeat the process with the other and compare ...

Hope it turns out to be no real problem.

Luddite said:
Might be worth enquiring if any local garage/exhaust centre might put it on their ramp for no more than a few minutes to have a quick look for anything obvious..? A reasonable donation to the tea and buns kitty might be all that is required.. :?:

if that is not possible have someone rev it to 4-5k and roll around on the ground to feel, see, smell if exhaust it exiting from other than the tail pipes.. or very temporarily hold something in front of one of the tailpipes to block it off and listen for exhaust exiting from elsewhere, repeat the process with the other and compare ...

Hope it turns out to be no real problem.

Thanks Luddite. The car really decided to prevent me driving today with a flat tyre. So my OPC have agreed to slot me in this week to sort everything out.

I'll let you know what it turns out to be. My hunch is that is related to a mounting of some kind - exhaust, engine, etc. I don't feel like it's structural to the suspension, etc, as it only when the transmission engages, rather than steering etc.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back