Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The 911 has finally caught the 928

T8

Super Moderator
I had a good look around a couple of 928s at the weekend and it dawned on me that what I always thought of as a very big car suddenly doesn't look quite so massive.

'Back in the day' (i.e in the 80s) they were 9" longer than a contemporary 911. Their size was magnified by the fact that they were also considerably wider.

Galvanised by my recent realisation I had a quick google and sure enough it turns out that the new 992 is only 1mm shorter than a 928.

In other words a dirty 992 is the same length as a shiny 928. :D

T8 said:
I had a good look around a couple of 928s at the weekend and it dawned on me that what I always thought of as a very big car suddenly doesn't look quite so massive.

'Back in the day' (i.e in the 80s) they were 9" longer than a contemporary 911. Their size was magnified by the fact that they were also considerably wider.

Galvanised by my recent realisation I had a quick google and sure enough it turns out that the new 992 is only 1mm shorter than a 928.

In other words a dirty 992 is the same length as a shiny 928. :D

:floor: :floor:

The rear end of the new 992 really does have a look of the 'original design cue ' 928 ....

I really cant take to the new ' Airbrake ' spoiler lid arrangement , it just looks naff .....

The 991/992 really is a GT in the 928 vein in terms of what market Porsche want the car to cater for.

IMI A said:
The 991/992 really is a GT in the 928 vein in terms of what market Porsche want the car to cater for.

:yeah: without a doubt ...

I think I could be tempted by a 991.1 GTS though ......

8) :)

How does a GT4 compare to the 928?

I'd go as far as saying the automatic 996, 997, 991, 992 all cater for that GT market formally occupied by 928 in the range.

Cayman / Boxster are really the sports cars in the range like air-cooled 911s back in the day.

I do love 928s although a bit scared to ever run one. Bills can be astronomical unless you have good indy.

Interesting line of thought T8, though it seems at a time when people may becoming larger it may be logical that cars evolve similarly..?

As to creating and decision making on where lines of division may be best drawn between GT and sports car, would seem to risk a measure of controversy to match the red lines drawn relative to Brexit.... Should we have a vote on it :?:

I ever thought the 928 was a wonderful bit of engineering and a worthy successor to the 911, but it seems Porsche designers were just a few years too early in offering it to those with fundamentalist tendencies :bye:

I'm not getting into the Sports car/GT car debate ....... beyond pointing out that every type of car has grown significantly over the past 35 years.

Take a look at '80s Fiestas, Golfs and 3-Series BMWs and compare them with the 2019 version.

Boxsters and Cayman are the entry level Porsche sports cars but they too are big compared to a 924.

The Porsche GT car, a 21st Century 928 if you like, is the Panamera. Have you seen the size of that? :grin:

I'm off to OPC Bristol this evening for the 992 launch event. I can't bloody wait..

I think the new 992 looks stunning....

Osh

Panamera = today's 928 :dont know:

James M-S said:
Panamera = today's 928 :dont know:

That's my thinking. They're both big, lazy front-engined 4-seater GT cars. If the Panam' only had two doors there'd be absolutely no argument.

T8 said:
I'm not getting into the Sports car/GT car debate ....... beyond pointing out that every type of car has grown significantly over the past 35 years.

Take a look at '80s Fiestas, Golfs and 3-Series BMWs and compare them with the 2019 version.

Boxsters and Cayman are the entry level Porsche sports cars but they too are big compared to a 924.

The Porsche GT car, a 21st Century 928 if you like, is the Panamera. Have you seen the size of that? :grin:

You missed the "Mini" out....should be called the "Maxi" now. oh and the Fiat 500

....and those cars that you have mentioned have all gained weight (erm...just like some of us )

The 911 has become lighter recently.

I think the big size difference was between the 993 and 996.

Having owned 996-997 and now 991.....the affect of the size difference is insignificant.

I will concede that the 991 "appears" bigger, but that is down somewhat to the fact it is lower.

...and comparing to the AMG GT.....Astons...Lambos....the 911 is still quite petite :grin:

Rhodris-dad said:
You missed the "Mini" out....should be called the "Maxi" now. oh and the Fiat 500

Your sentiments are correct but I deliberately didn't mention the Mini or the Fiat 500 as they are modern reincarnations of previously dead models. I was careful to only mention models that have been in continuous production over the past 35 years.

Osh said:
I'm off to OPC Bristol this evening for the 992 launch event. I can't bloody wait..

I think the new 992 looks stunning....

Osh

Not seen it in the flesh but from the pics its the nicest water-cooled 911 of any era by a mile. Only criticism in some pics especially on the cab the rear from certain angles can look a bit too bulbous and high. Love the new tail light arrangement and every other proportion of the car. The flared wheel arches front and rear look amazing. I'll have mine in luminous green pls :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back