Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 12
997 : 2004- 74
996 : 1997-2005 31
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Ade_MK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911Time wrote:
Looking good Ade Thumb

As Gilford says, you need to be careful with mods if you want to retain the Porsche extended warranty - I looked into a few options with the OPC that supplied my car but certain things I wanted were a no-go.

Regarding the wheel spacers, I know that Eibach, RSS and DesignTek do hubcentric spacers in black to fit the 991 - you will obviously need extended bolts/locking bolts.

5mm, 7mm and 15mm black spacers are available and it should be possible to fit Fr 7mm + Rr 15mm with your current wheels but I think Porsche only approve a maximum 5mm spacer with the Carrera Classics.

Kits are available to order online - the RSS kits include bolts and the screw in shaft to make wheel removal easier or you could speak to the folks at RPM Technik, JZM or Design911.

HTH Smile

That's great thanks very much for that.

You both make a valid point about the warranty, I have heard that the OPC warranty can be pretty strict.... A friend of mine is a gold tech for Porsche so is looking into it for me to see if there are any approved options or just the 5mm ones.
I definitely don't want to mess about with the warranty Surprised

I'll let you know what he finds out Thumb

Ade_MK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well rather unsurprisingly they only do the 5mm spacers and any aftermarket ones would potentially cause warranty issues. Dont know

On the plus side he can get the genuine Porsche parts for a very decent price Very Happy

911Time
Monza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, not surprised at all nooo

The issue of what constitutes 'modifications', in relation to the extended warranty is a thorny one but much to everyone's annoyance, it seems nowadays even the slightest departure from stock can potentially invalidate the warranty.

I understand there used to be a little more flexibility afforded to the OPC in judging whether a mod had contributed to a component or system failure but that latitude has since been removed to make claims more straight forwards but it does also limit what can be done to modify or personalise a car.

There are some minor/cosmetic mods that might be allowed (because they wouldn't impact on anything else) but the only way to be 100% certain of maintaining the extended warranty is to keep it stock or only fit Porsche approved upgrades.

I'm not a perfectionist - I just want everything done 'Right' Wink

Current: GT Silver 991.1 C4S with a few 'special bits'. Previous: C63 Estate, BMW e92 330d Coupe (700Nm/Custom Exh/Map/BBK/Quaife/Breytons), ML63AMG, Alpina e46 B3S Coupe, Alpina e36 B3 Coupe, Lotus Excel SE, Alfasud Green Cloverleaf Ti, Lancia HPE, Capri 2.0S, Marina 1.8 (don't laugh it was my first road car) plus boring company cars. Bikes: Suzuki TL1000R and BMW R1100S AC Schnitzer.

Ade_MK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911Time wrote:

The issue of what constitutes 'modifications', in relation to the extended warranty is a thorny one but much to everyone's annoyance, it seems nowadays even the slightest departure from stock can potentially invalidate the warranty.

I understand there used to be a little more flexibility afforded to the OPC in judging whether a mod had contributed to a component or system failure but that latitude has since been removed to make claims more straight forwards but it does also limit what can be done to modify or personalise a car.

There are some minor/cosmetic mods that might be allowed (because they wouldn't impact on anything else) but the only way to be 100% certain of maintaining the extended warranty is to keep it stock or only fit Porsche approved upgrades.

Yep it certainly seems that way. Although at this stage, with it being my first introduction to Porsche, I think I'll prefer to keep the warranty rock solid.

Ade

911Time
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ade_MK wrote:
911Time wrote:

Yep it certainly seems that way. Although at this stage, with it being my first introduction to Porsche, I think I'll prefer to keep the warranty rock solid.

Ade

Given how persnickety the extended warranty insurance company are over minor 'infringements', it's probably best to play safe but as I found recently, the price of some genuine parts bears no relation to what you would pay for an equivalent item of the same spec and that does grate a bit Rolling Eyes

Current: GT Silver 991.1 C4S with a few 'special bits'. Previous: C63 Estate, BMW e92 330d Coupe (700Nm/Custom Exh/Map/BBK/Quaife/Breytons), ML63AMG, Alpina e46 B3S Coupe, Alpina e36 B3 Coupe, Lotus Excel SE, Alfasud Green Cloverleaf Ti, Lancia HPE, Capri 2.0S, Marina 1.8 (don't laugh it was my first road car) plus boring company cars. Bikes: Suzuki TL1000R and BMW R1100S AC Schnitzer.

Ade_MK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911Time wrote:

Given how persnickety the extended warranty insurance company are over minor 'infringements', it's probably best to play safe but as I found recently, the price of some genuine parts bears no relation to what you would pay for an equivalent item of the same spec and that does grate a bit Rolling Eyes

It's almost like there's a deliberate reason for their insistence on only using the parts they sell..... Floor Sad

I'm just hoping my insider friend can help on that front if there's anything else i'm after, although to be fair i don't think there's much else i'm considering doing.

Ade

911Time
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ade_MK wrote:
911Time wrote:

It's almost like there's a deliberate reason for their insistence on only using the parts they sell..... Floor Sad

I'm just hoping my insider friend can help on that front if there's anything else i'm after, although to be fair i don't think there's much else i'm considering doing.

Ade

True and commercially that's no surprise: I guess it's justifiable with the nature of some parts but the insistence on even the most mundane items being Porsche or refusing to pay out because you've fitted a dashcam (as one member has found) when one isn't available through Porsche seems a bit heavy handed and some people will vote with their feet and purchase an alternative warranty product when the Approved Used warranty comes to an end.

If your friend can get you 10% off parts that will help.

I'm sticking with the Approved Used warranty for the time being, for the peace of mind it gives on big ticket items and whilst I'm evaluating the car but I might feel differently when it comes to an end.

spongebob squarepants
Zolder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911Time wrote:
Ade_MK wrote:
911Time wrote:

Ade

True and commercially that's no surprise: I guess it's justifiable with the nature of some parts but the insistence on even the most mundane items being Porsche or refusing to pay out because you've fitted a dashcam (as one member has found) when one isn't available through Porsche seems a bit heavy handed and some people will vote with their feet and purchase an alternative warranty product when the Approved Used warranty comes to an end.

If your friend can get you 10% off parts that will help.

I'm sticking with the Approved Used warranty for the time being, for the peace of mind it gives on big ticket items and whilst I'm evaluating the car but I might feel differently when it comes to an end.

Your other option is the 305 rears (GT3 stylee) which gives you the extra 15mm Thumb
See difference in the pics below, 305 v 290 (I know someone who has a set for sale Smile )

EX 997.2 Carrera 4S PDK
EX 997.2 Carrera S PDK
EX 993 C2 manual in guards red
EX 997 C2 gen 2 PDK
EX 993 Targa
EX 993 Carrera 4 manual
EX 996 3.4 Cabriolet
EX 986 boxster

911Time
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go Ade Thumb

As Sponge says, the Sport Techno alloys (back of photo) are a possible and approved solution and are 11.5 inch rear Vs 11 inch of the Carrera S you have on now, so would fill out the arch a bit more and give you some extra rubber on the road (edit: just remembered the 4S has 305s anyway - Embarassed Friday afternoon brain drain)
..and no messing around with spacers.

Just a thought tho' Sponge, what's the offset on the ones in the pic? Suitable for Ade's 4S?

The 4S has a smaller offset on the rear
Front: 9J X 20 ET51
Rear: 11.5J X 20 ET48 Vs 68 for the C2S

Not trying to lose you a sale mate (Sponge) but worth covering off.

Last edited by 911Time on Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ade_MK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ideas gents thanks. I'm not the biggest fan of the Sport Techno's though personally.

I may look at different wheels in the future but for now I'm probably going to go for the 5mm approved spacers and see how I get on.

Oddly though the rear tyres on my 4S are already 305s? I'd just assumed that was standard but from what you've suggested it seems maybe not?

spongebob squarepants
Zolder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ade_MK wrote:
Interesting ideas gents thanks. I'm not the biggest fan of the Sport Techno's though personally.

I may look at different wheels in the future but for now I'm probably going to go for the 5mm approved spacers and see how I get on.

Oddly though the rear tyres on my 4S are already 305s? I'd just assumed that was standard but from what you've suggested it seems maybe not?

Interesting and Defo not and if bought from Porsche they shouldnt meet the 111 point check as only the Sport Technos are 305's on the 11.5's.
Out of interest what brand are the tyres? Im presuming someone has fitted Michelin N rated 305?

EX 997.2 Carrera 4S PDK
EX 997.2 Carrera S PDK
EX 997 C2 gen 2 PDK
EX 993 Targa
EX 993 Carrera 4 manual
EX 996 3.4 Cabriolet
EX 986 boxster

911Time
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spongebob squarepants wrote:
Ade_MK wrote:

Interesting and Defo not and if bought from Porsche they shouldnt meet the 111 point check as only the Sport Technos are 305's on the 11.5's.
Out of interest what brand are the tyres? Im presuming someone has fitted Michelin N rated 305?

Sponge I think even the 11J Carrera S come with 305s on a 991 4S (the 2S has 295s) - I was obviously having a Friday afternoon senior moment earlier, coz there won't actually be any rubber to gain, just the increased rim width on the Sport Techno alloys.

Anyway, if Ade's not so keen on the Techno alloys...best to try the 5mm spacers and see how that looks.

The tyres should be N rated on Ade's car as it was an OPC supply.

Right brain's hurting now so I'm off to lie down for a bit Wink

Last edited by 911Time on Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

gilford
Monza

2014 Porsche 991 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had Michelin PS4’s fitted to mine, so much better than the P-Zero’s!

spongebob squarepants
Zolder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911Time wrote:
Ade_MK wrote:

Sponge I think even the 11J Carrera S come with 305s on a 991 4S (the 2S has 295s).

The 11.5J Sport Techno version for the 4S with ET48 offset comes with 305s and the extra rim width fill the arch better.

HTH Smile

Yes makes sense I’d presumed they were all the same Embarassed wondering if the 305’s would fit the 11.5 rim? Otherwise doomed to Pirelli forever as no N rated other than Pirelli for the 295’s.

EX 997.2 Carrera 4S PDK
EX 997.2 Carrera S PDK
EX 997 C2 gen 2 PDK
EX 993 Targa
EX 993 Carrera 4 manual
EX 996 3.4 Cabriolet
EX 986 boxster

911Time
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911Time wrote:
Ade_MK wrote:

Sponge I think even the 11J Carrera S come with 305s on a 991 4S (the 2S has 295s).

The 11.5J Sport Techno version for the 4S with ET48 offset comes with 305s and the extra rim width fill the arch better.

HTH Smile

Yes makes sense I’d presumed they were all the same Embarassed wondering if the 305’s would fit the 11.5 rim? Otherwise doomed to Pirelli forever as no N rated other than Pirelli for the 295’s.

Hi Sponge, I'm a bit confused - yes, a 305/30 ZR 20 will fit an 11.5J rim no problem and technically a 305/30 ZR20 will also fit an 11J rim (albeit that's the max 11J will take) however Porsche have no N-rated 305 width tyres approved for fitment onto the 11J size for a 991.1.

As you say, at the moment, according to the last issued guidance (on July 2018) the only Porsche approved 20 inch tyre for the rear of a 991.1 C2S wearing an 11J rim is the Pirelli P-Zero 295/30 ZR20.

Oddly Porsche appear to have approved the Michelin PS4S for the front 245/35 ZR20 on 9J but not the rear 295/30 ZR20 on 11J - odd - why :don't know: Michelin do the PS4S in a suitable size but as I mentioned it's not N-rated and there are slight differences in the wet grip and rolling resistance characteristics between the N-rated fronts and non N-rated rears, basically in this example the fronts would have worse wet grip than the rears - so more prone to understeer in the wet!

Sorry if I'm not up to speed with your plans but are you selling the Sport Technos as I assumed earlier? Coz if not and you decide to keep them then you COULD fit N-rated Michelin PS4Ss in 245/35 ZR20 and 305/30 ZR 20.

I'm feeling another lie down coming on.... Laughing

Also, I'm not trying to teach grandma to suck eggs, so if this is all known to you then no offence Smile

HTH Smile

Ade_MK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I’ve got to say I’m pretty confused with all of the info too? Question

The tyres are Pzeros and look to have an N0 rating as far as I can see? Do you guys think they sound right or should I look to contact the dealer for clarification?

Thanks very much for taking the time to try and suss this out by the way, I’m very grateful for any additional knowledge you guys have Thumb

911Time
Monza

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ade_MK wrote:

The tyres are Pzeros and look to have an N0 rating as far as I can see? Do you guys think they sound right or should I look to contact the dealer for clarification?

Thanks very much for taking the time to try and suss this out by the way, I’m very grateful for any additional knowledge you guys have Thumb

Hi Ade, the tyres on your car should have been checked by the OPC as part of the 111 point check, to make sure they were correct, N-rated (sufficient tread etc).

The Pirelli P-Zero tyres on your 4S should be N-rated, size 245/35 ZR20 front and 305/30 ZR20 rear if they are then no need to worry.

Thumb

The discussion with Sponge above was off topic really and about the options for his Carrera 2S, which have different approved tyre sizes - sorry for the confusion Embarassed

spongebob squarepants
Zolder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911Time wrote:
Ade_MK wrote:

Hi Ade, the tyres on your car should have been checked by the OPC as part of the 111 point check, to make sure they were correct, N-rated (sufficient tread etc).

The Pirelli P-Zero tyres on your 4S should be N-rated, size 245/35 ZR20 front and 305/30 ZR20 rear if they are then no need to worry.

Thumb

The discussion with Sponge above was off topic really and about the options for his Carrera 2S, which have different approved tyre sizes - sorry for the confusion Embarassed

Ade apologies all my fault lol. Its a bit crazy with the 991 at the moment. The P zeros are frankly awful (in anything other than dry weather) but as long as you have them 305 rears, you have the option of N rated Michelins, which id certainly change to in the future.

With the 295 rears for the 2S (with anything other than the sport classics) the only current N rated option is the P zero (although the 305 will fit the 295 rim im sure an OPC would spot it and not approve it)

EX 997.2 Carrera 4S PDK
EX 997.2 Carrera S PDK
EX 997 C2 gen 2 PDK
EX 993 Targa
EX 993 Carrera 4 manual
EX 996 3.4 Cabriolet
EX 986 boxster

Ade_MK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol that's perfect thanks very much for the confirmation. Don't worry about confusing me... it feels like it's maybe a bit to easy a lot of the time

I'll definitely be changing to Sport 4S when the time comes as i had them on my M3 and they were a huge improvement over the Bridgestones it had on before. The wet weather grip was fantastic. Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: