Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Japanese PCM system

rickprice

Monza
Hi folks,

I am thinking of updating the PCM and have been looking for some time.

One thing I am worried about is that when you remove the PCM you also remove the ability to control the car functions.

But in Japan, it seems the stereo may have been optional. Does anyone know how the various functions are controlled in this instance? Is there a separate unit?

Cheers

Rich

What car have you got .. gen 1 or 2 ?

By update do you mean you want to replace the pcm with an aftermarket unit and not a software update ?

What actual functions do you need to alter ?

I can code any function at work with a tester so if you are talking about locking then it can be coded via a tester and its in the door control units and not the pcm .

I have no idea about the japanese units .. each market has some differences but not separate control units just in case you want to fit a non Porsche item .

Little confused atm :)

Many thanks.

I have a gen 1 and want to swap the head unit to something that can cope with multimedia.

If Japanese cars ship without a stereo (IF), then there must be a separate module for controlling car functions, no? This might be fitted somehow alongside the new stereo.

If not then I am barking up the wrong tree.

I realise I probably won't want to change when the lights dim etc but if this functionality can be retained then fantastic.

Does this make sense?

Rich

You can change when the lights dim through the PCM?

What else can you control?

Does this work on Gen2?

James M-S said:
You can change when the lights dim through the PCM?

What else can you control?

Does this work on Gen2?
I believe so:

Setting light options
Setting the fade-out time
You can set a fade-out time of between 10 and
120 seconds for your vehicle's tail lights and front
fog lamps.
1. Press the button.
2. Press the button or touch the tab of
the same name in the header.
3. Select "Individual memory"
> "Light"
> "Fade-out time".
4. Set the time desired period by touching the
two symbols and or by turning
the right rotary knob.
The setting is immediately applied.
The "Fade-out time" setting also changes the
illumination duration when unlocking the vehicle.
To find out more about this, please refer to the
chapter "Welcome home function" in the owner's
manual.

The full PCM3 manual is available online for download.

- options for locking the doors, including auto-lock
- light dimming
- orientation light (one behind the rear view mirror)
- DRLs
- air con defaults
- wiper settings

I think most/all of the above are linked to whichever key you use and I doubt anyone would really miss any of them :)

The std PCM also gives Trip details, and Chrono info.

OP - responded on PH :) I think the best bit is to look at the manual for the PCM version in your gen1 and decide if anything it offers will be missed. I suspect the answer will be "not as much as you gain" on a gen1.

Just configure your settings before you upgrade, that's what I did.

I think the JDM "no stereo" spec would just mean those cars wouldn't be able to do any of the parameter configuring that would normally be done via the PCM.

Cannop said:
Just configure your settings before you upgrade, that's what I did.

I think the JDM "no stereo" spec would just mean those cars wouldn't be able to do any of the parameter configuring that would normally be done via the PCM.

Rick I think cannop is right the Japanese cars would be preset and no further adjustment possible from the head unit which is exactly what we do over here when we upgrade the PCM to aftermarket double din unit. now what I am not sure of is whether they can then plug in a durametric and adjust those settings as they wish in the future. :thumb: your correct though there was no PCM for the Japanese market and Porsche supplied a double din fascia and the cars were fitted with an aftermarket head unit.

Heres a pic of a genuine Porsche supplied DD fascia for the Japanese market that I had a few years ago. it had a 997 part number on the back of it.

Attachments

• img_1411_148.jpg
    img_1411_148.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,363

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back