Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Tip Gear box tune to flash sport mode

Hovis

Monza
On the note if pulling off in 1st rather than 2nd on a Tiptronic I read that the sports Chrono changed the tune of the box and 1st was always selected.

Is there a possibility to remap the box ECU to be in 'sport" mode?

A subject I've seen overrd on other forums is changing the wheel to a PDK style or paddle shift.

I know flappy paddles are a sin in many eyes but I've used them on several single clutch cars over the years and as long as you know the car you know what you'll expect.

Looking for advice and guidance on the subject:

PDK style - straight swap or coding needed?
Paddles? How much effort to go this way?

Looking at £200 plus for a new tip button so just considering options, but think my air bag being the gen1 means need a new smaller style.

Paddle shift here ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=46411

Sport mode is activated by the sport button .. if you don't have one then its an upgrade done by Porsche at great expense and not a coding option .

Thanks for the reply

Thought the sport option would be a no go.

Havin looked in to it I have an upgraded 3 spoke sport wheel.

I would prefer paddle though the PDK wheels also looks easier to use but the cost of an air bag and module on top makes it bit out of reach.

Might just get it out if granny mode and see how I go.

Any tips to do this ?

tip box remap to minimise BS?

Having read as much as I can on Bore scoring and tip care, especially from @baz at hartech points on not having high torque at low revs and pulling off in first.

from what I've read the sports button has these characteristics.

I know it's possible on other vehicles so in theory some one should be able to develop a MAP that would follow this characteristics and help to minimise these elements that can contribute to the BS.

Any one any thoughts or ideas on this?

I have a tip gearbox and a Hartech rebuilt engine and the best advice I received was to keep the revs below 2500 rpm until both water and oil are at normal running temp (this is usually about a 5 mile cruise!)

I also often knock it into 1st when cold, particularly when on an incline under load, although it can hold onto the revs a lot longer so you also need to be ready to manually change up.

I can't comment on remap characteristics, but Simple solutions are often the most effective - I appreciate this doesn't help regarding what to do with your broken button :?:

I have a 3.6 Tiptronic and although I usually pull away in a manually selected 1st gear I have never fully understood why the tiptronic is more likely to bore score than the manual.

Yes I accept left to its own devices it will start off in 2nd gear but there is a torque converter in the system which I would have thought would have reduced likelihood of loading the engine too much , even in second gear starts.

Perhaps an expert could explain.

montygraphics said:
I have a 3.6 Tiptronic and although I usually pull away in a manually selected 1st gear I have never fully understood why the tiptronic is more likely to bore score than the manual.

Yes I accept left to its own devices it will start off in 2nd gear but there is a torque converter in the system which I would have thought would have reduced likelihood of loading the engine too much , even in second gear starts.

Perhaps an expert could explain.

I'm no expert but I'm guessing it's shock loads. If you start in first yes there's still load but the engine isn't working as hard. Do it in second gear the engine gets higher forces onto it as its just starting to move off so I'd guess the engine requires more revving. Just a guess.

Some of the bore scoring I feel has to be attributed to the style of driving when cold. It's not the entire reason but it certainly helps to causing it.

I can't say I've ever heard of a car that starts in second gear. Does the PDK gearbox launch in second or?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back