Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replacement Door Speakets

villaman

I need to replace the drivers mid range door speaker as its blown.

I may as well do all of the door speakers whilst I've got the door card off.

It's a none Bose ASK system

May I please ask what size the larger woofer and mid woofer are?

Cheers

Answers on a post card :)

Use the 'Search Forum' function. Top right next to the RPM ad.

:thumb:

send DucatiRob a PM as he changed out his entire sound system and its now got a great sound :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
send DucatiRob a PM as he changed out his entire sound system and its now got a great sound :thumb:

DucatiRob's install is in the link posted above by James M-S.

Cheers guys...reading up.......

Audison ordered

Just happen to be in the process of doing this, so hopefully this helps... I'll do a full audio install post when finished.

The base woofer is 8"

I've installed a 7" Hertz speaker. Just copy the outline of the original basket to make a back plate, followed by adding a spacer ring on top.

The easiest option though is to remove the existing ASK unit from the original plastic basket. You can then add an 8" unit directly to that.

The mid has a 104mm ID hole.

I guess you can either add a coaxial unit or a dedicated mid depending on what plans you have for either sticking with the original PCM and amp or aftermarket head unit and amps.

I've added a Hertz 3" mid unit which sounded great in my last car. You can see this mounted on a plywood ring which then fits in the 104mm hole, held in place with two penny washers using the original screws.

Well hopefully this post works as it's the first time I've added images.

:thumb:

Big thank you.

Very much appreciated...this is hugely useful.

I wasn't sure if the bass woofer was an 8" ...I tried to fit an 8" Audison unit in my 987 Boxster but it was to large for the aperture.

The 8" Bose driver isn't a woofer, more of a bass radiator. It has a tiny magnet and is mostly a plastic frame. It is better to replace this with a 6.5" mid/bass unit and use a wood/mdf ring adapter to fit. :thumb:

Cheers DucatiRom

Could I replace it with an 8" like for like in terms of size?..you mentioned 6.5"...but I had panned for an 8" replacement for the lower larger door speaker ?

8" units fit fine. Google search Porsche 997 Focal. The IS200 8" unit was a popular replacement. Not sure if you can still get these though.

The 7" Hertz ML's in mine have plenty of room behind them. I would also have went down the 8" route but managed to pick up the Hertz units for a good price.

What you do need to consider though is the level of door vibration out of bigger speakers. Even after a fair amount of soundproofing, I can make the internals of the door vibrate with bass.

If you're planning a big rear sub install, I'd say go with the 6.5's and leave the low end out the doors.

Or... if you want to keep weight down and avoid a sub, go with the 8's. I plan to try a Pioneer underseat sub with mine. Not exactly audiophile but they're not too expensive and worth a try.

villaman said:
Cheers DucatiRom

Could I replace it with an 8" like for like in terms of size?..you mentioned 6.5"...but I had panned for an 8" replacement for the lower larger door speaker ?

No reason why you couldn't use the 8" Pioneer, however those units are threeway so have a bass, mid and tweeter, you may find they don't work well with at the other drivers! Personally I would go for a single bass unit, 8" is fine but a 6.5" is plenty good enough, plus you will get better quality for the same money. Even if you go for an 8" driver I would still recommend an adapter to fit to the door frame. The Bose units are fixed with 4 x M6 bolts that may be difficult to fix your new speakers with!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back