Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Health Check @ Cridfords = a massive bill!

911rpd

Trainee
evening all - spent the morning down in Cridfords today getting an MOT, health check and an annual oil change and it threw up some interesting areas of the car which needs attention..... and comes with a £4k bill!

Needs tyres - kinda knew this was coming up and reading about PS2 vs PS4, talked to a guy in Camskill and he is saying that I can only go with PS2 for N rating - but looking on here people ignore that and still go for PS4. However I am running the wider Carrera Sport 19' wheels so I need 235/35 & 305/30 - am I right in thinking and what this chap told me; I have to run PS2 as the rear is 305 section....? Any C4S owners can point me in the right direction?
FYI this week a set of PS2 from Camskill are £778.00 - Blackcircles and F1 are a good £50/70 more.

More interesting question is around the suspension, I need to get the front sorted out as its corroded pretty badly so shocks,bump stops,collars & mounts are coming in at £1500 - it then needs a geo check which might throw out some problems with the rear but we won't know until its checked and aligned.... I was looking at an Ohlin Road & Track set up but its a bit punchy £3.5/4k - can anyone on here give me some direction on different set ups I could look at or should I stick with OEM/OP parts?
The car is going to visit a couple of tracks this year but 80% of the use will be on road.

Apart from that had a lovely morning sitting there doing some 'work' but drooling over the 993 c4s, stunning car waiting prep but coming in at £85k - and the 997.2 turbo they have at 89k....

Thanks for any input!

Tyres: you only need PS2 if you wear socks and sandals, or want to renew your Porsche warranty. Otherwise PS4S are the go to tyre.
As for the suspension stuff, I'd be going to see the guys st Centre Gravity. Top of their game, will give you the best advice for you. I had an issue which a other party suggested a full refresh. Turns out I needed 2psi of air in my tyres. I got them to do a more focus and sporty wheel alignment and couldn't have been happier
My 2 cents

PS4S. Note the S. PS4 are a different tyre.

PS4S are the best, by a distance. If you have an OPC warranty, you need N rated. If you don't, you don't.

295 or 305 depending on manufacturer. Either works.

I have P4Ss in 305/30 on the rear of my Turbo, what's the issue? :dont know:

My car was looked after by cridfords (previous owner) have all the receipts, on every bill or service they stated 'front forward arms chattering.'

The handling wasn't as it should be so took it to centre gravity expecting to need new front arms - only thing wrong turned out to be old tyres. Changed them and transformed the car.

Personally wouldn't go anywhere other than centre gravity for suspension work, their labour rates are very reasonable and they simply are the best around.

First off .. a post here about VHC checks ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=132847

Front bump stops perished .. er .. i kinda report that on almost every check i do .. you cant change them with out the strut off .. not worth doing on their own.

Bump stop is there to protect it should you bottom out the suspension .. dont do any jumps off bridges like Smokey and the bandit and youll be fine !

No mention of knackered top mounts i take it ?

Front shocks corrded .. yup .. whats new .. are they leaking ? nope i thought not .. its not broken.

Lots of bits on cars are corroded .. you dont have to replace them for that on its own.

Play , leaks or bushes split and debonding .. then its worth it .. my guess is yours is just like a lot of the cars i see ..

You can spend the money if you wish .. is it actually needed .. hmm .. if its not a red flagged item then nope .. it aint .

Tyres wear out .. so thats a normal cost .

Over all though .. thats a pretty small list and nothing urgent .. a result in my book .. i would have been much harder :p

For OP

I have a C4S and am running 305 PS4S on the rear without any issue. :thumb:

Can thoroughly recommend Ohlins R&T, had them installed at Centre Gravity along with new lower control arms, diagonals, top mounts, ARB bushes and track rods, plus full geo and corner weighting. You are pretty much spot on with the cost, but in my opinion, worth every penny, the difference is frankly light and day! If you intend to do track days, they are a doddle to adjust too :thumb:

I have the 305 PS4S on the rear of a C4S. Wouldn't dream of mixing them with PS2. I have 305 PSS on the C2S as I have the Carrera Sports.

Rojdog said:
My car was looked after by cridfords (previous owner) have all the receipts, on every bill or service they stated 'front forward arms chattering.'

The handling wasn't as it should be so took it to centre gravity expecting to need new front arms - only thing wrong turned out to be old tyres. Changed them and transformed the car.

Personally wouldn't go anywhere other than centre gravity for suspension work, their labour rates are very reasonable and they simply are the best around.

I would also recommend Centre Gravity. Chris and Pete know their stuff and good labour rate. They give the car a thorough, comprehensive, structured assessment and you can stay throughout the whole session. Very good business model.

Ignore Camskill sales guys.

I bought my Federal 595RSRs and rang them for an invoice as they hadn't sent it.
The guy on the phone says 'they aren't N rated", to which I replied 'Yes I know, it doesn't matter", so then he enters into an argument that it did matter for Insurance etc etc.
I pointed out that it really doesn't matter at all and insurers are only bothered about tyres being legal, the correct size and correct pressures. The speed rating doesn't even matter as the limit is 70mph.

Disgruntled he ended by saying 'Well anyway, those are summer use track day tyres so you aren't insured if you go out in the rain. If you have a crash and it's wet your Insurance is void". :floor:

I knew then it was time to end the conversation. :roll:

The Ohlins is pricey but very good. I thought it was nearer £2k than £4K though??

It's all the other stuff that will add up such as coffin arms, fork arms, etc etc.
Research it and gather the parts yourself from CP4L, eBay, ECP etc.
You'll need all new eccentric bolts from Porsche though and they add a chunk to the bill on their own.

deMort said:
First off .. a post here about VHC checks ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=132847

Front bump stops perished .. er .. i kinda report that on almost every check i do .. you cant change them with out the strut off .. not worth doing on their own.

Bump stop is there to protect it should you bottom out the suspension .. dont do any jumps off bridges like Smokey and the bandit and youll be fine !

No mention of knackered top mounts i take it ?

Front shocks corrded .. yup .. whats new .. are they leaking ? nope i thought not .. its not broken.

Lots of bits on cars are corroded .. you dont have to replace them for that on its own.

Play , leaks or bushes split and debonding .. then its worth it .. my guess is yours is just like a lot of the cars i see ..

You can spend the money if you wish .. is it actually needed .. hmm .. if its not a red flagged item then nope .. it aint .

Tyres wear out .. so thats a normal cost .

Over all though .. thats a pretty small list and nothing urgent .. a result in my book .. i would have been much harder :p

On my last major service they noted the front bump stops needed replacing and that the front top mounts were "starting to go" - I had a check myself and whilst they look a little worn they're certainly not bad.. What's the issue with the top mounts going? .. I guess the rubber splits and then it hits the metal?

This kind of upselling is sadly all too common. I was once advised that my 19" Carrera Sports were all bent, wouldn't balance, and needed replacing. When I had them tested at an independent wheel place, this turned out not to be the case: I could see for myself on the machines that they balanced up just fine. And they're still fine, now being wrapped in winter tyres and rebalanced annually.

resigner said:
PS4S. Note the S. PS4 are a different tyre.

PS4S are the best, by a distance. If you have an OPC warranty, you need N rated. If you don't, you don't.

are you sure? i thought the PS4S was just the same as PS4 but it became an "S" when it was 19 inches or larger - at least i read that somewhere on here anyway.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back