Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 21
997 : 2004- 71
996 : 1997-2005 35
993 : 1993-1998 2
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 25
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

911rpd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Health Check @ Cridfords = a massive bill! Reply with quote

evening all - spent the morning down in Cridfords today getting an MOT, health check and an annual oil change and it threw up some interesting areas of the car which needs attention..... and comes with a £4k bill!

Needs tyres - kinda knew this was coming up and reading about PS2 vs PS4, talked to a guy in Camskill and he is saying that I can only go with PS2 for N rating - but looking on here people ignore that and still go for PS4. However I am running the wider Carrera Sport 19' wheels so I need 235/35 & 305/30 - am I right in thinking and what this chap told me; I have to run PS2 as the rear is 305 section....? Any C4S owners can point me in the right direction?
FYI this week a set of PS2 from Camskill are £778.00 - Blackcircles and F1 are a good £50/70 more.

More interesting question is around the suspension, I need to get the front sorted out as its corroded pretty badly so shocks,bump stops,collars & mounts are coming in at £1500 - it then needs a geo check which might throw out some problems with the rear but we won't know until its checked and aligned.... I was looking at an Ohlin Road & Track set up but its a bit punchy £3.5/4k - can anyone on here give me some direction on different set ups I could look at or should I stick with OEM/OP parts?
The car is going to visit a couple of tracks this year but 80% of the use will be on road.

Apart from that had a lovely morning sitting there doing some 'work' but drooling over the 993 c4s, stunning car waiting prep but coming in at £85k - and the 997.2 turbo they have at 89k....

Thanks for any input!

FZP
Estoril

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres: you only need PS2 if you wear socks and sandals, or want to renew your Porsche warranty. Otherwise PS4S are the go to tyre.
As for the suspension stuff, I'd be going to see the guys st Centre Gravity. Top of their game, will give you the best advice for you. I had an issue which a other party suggested a full refresh. Turns out I needed 2psi of air in my tyres. I got them to do a more focus and sporty wheel alignment and couldn't have been happier
My 2 cents

resigner
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS4S. Note the S. PS4 are a different tyre.

PS4S are the best, by a distance. If you have an OPC warranty, you need N rated. If you don't, you don't.

jl-c
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

295 or 305 depending on manufacturer. Either works.

We all do silly things/make mistakes, it's how we deal with them that sets us apart from animals and Americans.

basildon993
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have P4Ss in 305/30 on the rear of my Turbo, what’s the issue? Dont know
ex Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z Manual

Rojdog
Silverstone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car was looked after by cridfords (previous owner) have all the receipts, on every bill or service they stated 'front forward arms chattering.'

The handling wasn't as it should be so took it to centre gravity expecting to need new front arms - only thing wrong turned out to be old tyres. Changed them and transformed the car.

Personally wouldn't go anywhere other than centre gravity for suspension work, their labour rates are very reasonable and they simply are the best around.

deMort
Long Beach

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off .. a post here about VHC checks ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=132847

Front bump stops perished .. er .. i kinda report that on almost every check i do .. you cant change them with out the strut off .. not worth doing on their own.

Bump stop is there to protect it should you bottom out the suspension .. dont do any jumps off bridges like Smokey and the bandit and youll be fine !

No mention of knackered top mounts i take it ?

Front shocks corrded .. yup .. whats new .. are they leaking ? nope i thought not .. its not broken.

Lots of bits on cars are corroded .. you dont have to replace them for that on its own.

Play , leaks or bushes split and debonding .. then its worth it .. my guess is yours is just like a lot of the cars i see ..

You can spend the money if you wish .. is it actually needed .. hmm .. if its not a red flagged item then nope .. it aint .

Tyres wear out .. so thats a normal cost .

Over all though .. thats a pretty small list and nothing urgent .. a result in my book .. i would have been much harder Razz

My Daughter's Crowdfunding has hit the target see Here

Thank you all so Very much .

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

FRZ 911
Österreich

2007 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For OP

I have a C4S and am running 305 PS4S on the rear without any issue. Thumb

DucatiRob
Kyalami

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can thoroughly recommend Ohlins R&T, had them installed at Centre Gravity along with new lower control arms, diagonals, top mounts, ARB bushes and track rods, plus full geo and corner weighting. You are pretty much spot on with the cost, but in my opinion, worth every penny, the difference is frankly light and day! If you intend to do track days, they are a doddle to adjust too Thumb
Ducati 996

Magic919
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 305 PS4S on the rear of a C4S. Wouldn’t dream of mixing them with PS2. I have 305 PSS on the C2S as I have the Carrera Sports.

cheshire911
Estoril

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rojdog wrote:
My car was looked after by cridfords (previous owner) have all the receipts, on every bill or service they stated 'front forward arms chattering.'

The handling wasn't as it should be so took it to centre gravity expecting to need new front arms - only thing wrong turned out to be old tyres. Changed them and transformed the car.

Personally wouldn't go anywhere other than centre gravity for suspension work, their labour rates are very reasonable and they simply are the best around.

I would also recommend Centre Gravity. Chris and Pete know their stuff and good labour rate. They give the car a thorough, comprehensive, structured assessment and you can stay throughout the whole session. Very good business model.

Marky911
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore Camskill sales guys.

I bought my Federal 595RSRs and rang them for an invoice as they hadn’t sent it.
The guy on the phone says “they aren’t N rated”, to which I replied “Yes I know, it doesn’t matter”, so then he enters into an argument that it did matter for insurance etc etc.
I pointed out that it really doesn’t matter at all and insurers are only bothered about tyres being legal, the correct size and correct pressures. The speed rating doesn’t even matter as the limit is 70mph.

Disgruntled he ended by saying “Well anyway, those are summer use track day tyres so you aren’t insured if you go out in the rain. If you have a crash and it’s wet your insurance is void”. Floor

I knew then it was time to end the conversation. Rolling Eyes

The Ohlins is pricey but very good. I thought it was nearer £2k than £4K though??

It’s all the other stuff that will add up such as coffin arms, fork arms, etc etc.
Research it and gather the parts yourself from CP4L, eBay, ECP etc.
You’ll need all new eccentric bolts from Porsche though and they add a chunk to the bill on their own.

Jay.
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
First off .. a post here about VHC checks ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=132847

Front bump stops perished .. er .. i kinda report that on almost every check i do .. you cant change them with out the strut off .. not worth doing on their own.

Bump stop is there to protect it should you bottom out the suspension .. dont do any jumps off bridges like Smokey and the bandit and youll be fine !

No mention of knackered top mounts i take it ?

Front shocks corrded .. yup .. whats new .. are they leaking ? nope i thought not .. its not broken.

Lots of bits on cars are corroded .. you dont have to replace them for that on its own.

Play , leaks or bushes split and debonding .. then its worth it .. my guess is yours is just like a lot of the cars i see ..

You can spend the money if you wish .. is it actually needed .. hmm .. if its not a red flagged item then nope .. it aint .

Tyres wear out .. so thats a normal cost .

Over all though .. thats a pretty small list and nothing urgent .. a result in my book .. i would have been much harder Razz

On my last major service they noted the front bump stops needed replacing and that the front top mounts were "starting to go" - I had a check myself and whilst they look a little worn they're certainly not bad.. What's the issue with the top mounts going? .. I guess the rubber splits and then it hits the metal?
AMG Flappy Paddles

1972 Datsun 240z
RB25DET
Devil Z

Follow me on Instagram! @rb.240z

MaxA
Albert Park

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of upselling is sadly all too common. I was once advised that my 19" Carrera Sports were all bent, wouldn't balance, and needed replacing. When I had them tested at an independent wheel place, this turned out not to be the case: I could see for myself on the machines that they balanced up just fine. And they're still fine, now being wrapped in winter tyres and rebalanced annually.

michaelbbwalker
Trainee

2005 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resigner wrote:

PS4S are the best, by a distance. If you have an OPC warranty, you need N rated. If you don't, you don't.

are you sure? i thought the PS4S was just the same as PS4 but it became an "S" when it was 19 inches or larger - at least i read that somewhere on here anyway.

deMort
Long Beach

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay. wrote:

On my last major service they noted the front bump stops needed replacing and that the front top mounts were "starting to go" - I had a check myself and whilst they look a little worn they're certainly not bad.. What's the issue with the top mounts going? .. I guess the rubber splits and then it hits the metal?

Top strut mount has a large rubber bush in it , it will start to debond over time .. seperate from the metal basically .. we have limited vision of this but can see on a lock to lock turn when its starting to seperate ..

Normal is just an advise .. front shock top mounts starting to debond .

The bump stops .. is a kinda dense foam item .. it does get the worse of the elements thrown at it and starts to fall appart as it gets a bit old .. not really due to damage i feel .. i think its more age related .. but thats just my thoughts .

Im afraid you have to bear in mind .. i inspect a car and report what i see .. its normally an amber .. in other words im letting you know but its not something i consider worth doing atm .. if i do it will either be a red item or i will make a note saying to do it soon and the reason .

Ie .. exhaust flange studs heavily corroded .. that would be an amber as they are not leaking atm .. my advise would be .. you have 3 monthes to get it done as thats what i think .

So some ambers are a " get it done now " .. most are a .. lets see next service .... 2 years away .

OPC and i refer back to link above .. the service advisors there SELL amber items reguardless .. always see the mechanics comments .

replace " I " with any garage as this is basically what i assume we all do .

My Daughter's Crowdfunding has hit the target see Here

Thank you all so Very much .

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

trent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I'm always wary of on-line 'cheap' tyre wholesalers as I've been caught out with tyres that have been manufactured a couple of years or more before I set my eyes on them. Is this others experience?

Porkaholic
Spa-Francorchamps

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch £4K service! Hope you don't have any more big bills for a while.

Just had my bi annual interim service, plus new belts, air con regass top up and ten year inspection. Good to look at car on the ramp with Porsche technician and discuss what's going on underneath.
Bit of superficial surface corrosion starting on shocks but otherwise ok. £740.00 bill OPC Exeter, paid it quick and ran away feeling very happy. Nice toys in the showroom too inc GT3RS and 997.2 Turbo. ££££££!!!!

Obviously I think if your car is a bit of a garage queen you can get away with almost normal car running costs but once age, track days and highish mileage comes into play then it's going to cost as stuff wears out.
Volvo 460 GLT (Rally toy, 'The Meatball')

Magic919
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trent wrote:
Guys,

I'm always wary of on-line 'cheap' tyre wholesalers as I've been caught out with tyres that have been manufactured a couple of years or more before I set my eyes on them. Is this others experience?

No, quite the opposite. I’ve only had old tyres from a bricks and mortar local place. Online cheap places were fresh.

rigsby99
Monza

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resigner wrote:

Why do you need a N rated tyre with a Porsche warranty? If you blow the engine will they refuse cover because they don't like your tyres? Read the policy.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: