Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

40th Anniversary 996 at Anglia Car Auction

AlpinaB3S

This is going through Anglia Car Auctions in April. Looks nice with low mileage

https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic/saturday-13th-april-2019/2004-porsche-911-996-36/

What sort of a premium would you expect the 40th Anniversary Edition to achieve? How would it compare to a C4S?

I wont be bidding as it took me 30 years to buy 1 911 no chance of getting a pass for another. Just thought it would be interesting to see what peoples views are

:popcorn:

Upper end of the estimate is probably on the money I reckon, given the low miles and owners.

The fitted luggage has gone astray though, so lacking maximum originality.

Great cars though, seem to fetch similar/better money vs 4Ss. Such ones as I've seen for sale seem to go quickly. Quite special with the engine pack, M030, LSD.

I went to view one of these not long back. It had done ~90K and was on for £20K. It needed a new clutch though.

I really liked it but the owner of the garage wouldn't let me do an inspection so I walked.

I've read that bore-scoring is both more likely and less likely in this car (depending on what you read)... More likely because of the extra power, but less like (if I remember correctly) because one of the differences in this car creates better oil conditions, which can protect against overheating.

I forget (and don't really know).

The wheels on these apparently don't do well (the one I looked at had bad bubbling on most wheels); it looks like this one was had all the wheels refurbished in a different colour. At least, the colour looks too dark to me compared to original.

I have seen two of these up since. One was on for £47K and the other was on I think for ~£35K.

If this car goes for anywhere near 25K it seems like a bargain to me.

Good find on the 40th AE

I've had a look on the 40th Anniversary register run by Ted Zimmermann in the US and this car #636 is one of the "unknown" ones - ie we don't have the previous history/owners etc apart from some vague info on a possible sales listing.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rd1ptgjq...9pfa?preview=Unknown+Car+List+Jan+23+2019.pdf

The is a reference to it having been listed for sale before in Dec 2013 for just over GB£15k and with 72,000km - not sure why the info on this would be in km. I have passed on the link to Ted so he can update the register.

Assuming all is OK with the mileage etc then looks like the sort of money these are going for - was one for sale at dealer recently for £29,995 with 50+k miles. There was one for sale last year with 8K miles at £49k but that was just stupid money - not sure if it ever sold anyway. There are very few with the original luggage to be fair - this one does mention the "wallet" which if he means the fancy leather one that matched the suitcases, is even rarer than the luggage . Wheels are also wrong for the car - should be polished alloys. Their figure of 200 UK cars is too high as well - as far as we can tell there were only 123 UK registered cars. Have to say the engine bay looks like it could do with a good clean up as well.
Very happy with mine, nice driving car and with all the interesting upgrades hidden away in a fairly plain C2 shell.

Cheers...Ian

really good cars and guy at work has one he uses a lot so fair play

loads of nice extras on them and a good parts bin raid by Porsche

X51 engine too and set up so that is a huge bonus. more power and better air flow and less likely to have bore scoring from what I have read.

NLW73 said:

X51 engine too and set up so that is a huge bonus. more power and better air flow and less likely to have bore scoring from what I have read.

By any chance do you work for a big US computer co in Berks?

Silly question/statement time...

I thought x51 had a twin intake air box / carbon air box.

Can't see any hole in the right of the deck lid either for the second snorkel.

Or have I been misinformed?

Dan

NLW73 said:

X51 engine is a big bonus, however X51 does nothing to solve bore scoring, it's the same open deck engine design.

Additional power comes from intakes, cams, heads and exhaust.

3.4 X51 had improved oiling via additional scavenge pump, 3.6 doesn't need this as the head design solves the pooling issue, both get baffled sump.

M030 & LSD will more than likely need over hauling given the age and mileage.

Rare car and significantly more desirable than a C4S.

DanSteele said:

Dan

That's the 997 X51

Good find.

Begs the question though, how does a car like that end up at auction?

DanSteele said:

Dan

Best way of checking is to look for the cast alloy air intakes over the top of the engine, instead of the standard plastic/composite ones. There is only one "snorkel".

Cheers.Ian

Odd that the ad points out the service book stamps only until 2012...
MOT history indicates it's only done just over 2k since then (makes me feel slightly less guilty about how infrequently I drive mine), maybe never been serviced again but then what are the receipts for up to 2018?!

I have to say if I hadnt bought my 997 last year I would have been tempted. I like something a bit rarer and could be a good investment long term.

Will be interesting to see what it goes for

I loved mine, but they just don't have a broad enough following to be a 'must buy' car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back