Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

iPod and aux upgrade

Porky C4s

This might of been answered but I can't find it,
2008 C4s thinking of changing to the Gen 2 iPod-aux-usb glove box option, is it just a matter of plug and play or is it re routing cables through the car?
Searched the net but no clear answers
Hoping to find the answers wig ya elp please :worship: :worship: :worship:

The OE Gen 2 iPod connection only works with the Gen 2 PCM unit (PCM 3.0), so you would be in for an expensive world of pain to retrofit that into a 2008 car (see isysman's GT2RS rep thread amongst others - the story is in there somewhere). There was also a Universal Audio option for the non-PCM audio system on the Gen 2 which basically amounts to just a line in (no iPod integration), but I haven't a clue as to whether there was a way of plumbing that into a Gen 1 audio system (I suspect not and have never heard of anyone doing it).

It won't be plug and play regardless though - pretty much any OE change to the electrical fit out of a 997 needs to be coded in via a Porsche diagnostic terminal.

I am afraid that your only practical options are almost certainly aftermarket (Dension or similar) to get such functionality. :nooo:

The cheapest option will be an FM transmitter, these are pretty cheap. This gives you an aux socket and sends the sound via FM which you can receive via the FM radio in the OEM head unit. Some even have bluetooth so you can stream music from your phone & get handsfree phone calls.

Denison & mobridge are boxes you plug into back of the OEM head unit and give the car bluetooth (and possibly an aux socket). This allows you to keep the car looking 100% OEM if thats a concern. I went for the mobridge option. It works well. As soon as I power on the head unit it connects to my mobile via bluetooth & I can make / receive calls using either phone or headunit as if it was out of the factory handsfree. Can also stream music from phone nicely with headunit controls doing skip/rewind etc. However, these boxes are not cheap - £500 upwards.

Best option although more expensive than an FM transmitter would be to swap OEM headunit for an aftermarket unit which would give you all the bells and whistles of a more modern unit.

Then I'll scrap that idea as it's an fm transmitter I have already, thank you rabbitstew and disco , excellent answers to my question, I've looked into an aftermarket head unit and plug in kit to support the Bose amp, no change out of a monkey so I'll be sticking with the transmitter fo now .
:worship: :worship: :worship:

I'd seen this Apollo, it was an option as I have no multi cd changer fitted so it will work.
Thanks again for the heads up :worship: :worship: :worship:

Out of interest, can anyone confirm on a 997.2 with PCM 3.0 how you normally connect an iPod with lightning connector?

Straight though the USB connector, or via bluetooth?

Trent, you need Either:

official Apple 30pin to lightening adaptor (£20?), along with the Porsche y-cable (£25). (Assuming you have the iPod interface in your armrest).

Or the y-cable + bovee 1000 (£90) - this will allow Bluetooth streaming from phone etc too.

Or USB to lightening cable (£5)

trent said:
Out of interest, can anyone confirm on a 997.2 with PCM 3.0 how you normally connect an iPod with lightning connector?

Straight though the USB connector, or via bluetooth?

Either use the Apple (some aftermarket equivalents work, some don't, but the OE one does) 30 pin to Lightning adaptor into the Y-connector cable in the cubby or get the Bovee 1000 30 pin to Bluetooth adaptor and do it with wireless. I've done both as the newer iPhones are too big to fit in the cubby with the cable connected.

It only works using a normal USB cable on PCM 3.1 on the 991 onwards - not the 997.

Disco said:
trent said:
Either use the Apple (some aftermarket equivalents work, some don't, but the OE one does) 30 pin to Lightning adaptor into the Y-connector cable in the cubby or get the Bovee 1000 30 pin to Bluetooth adaptor and do it with wireless. I've done both as the newer iPhones are too big to fit in the cubby with the cable connected.

It only works using a normal USB cable on PCM 3.1 on the 991 onwards - not the 997.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Do you (or anyone else) know the part number of the Y-connector cable? Presume best to buy this from OPC.

Where best to buy Bovee 1000 30 pin to Bluetooth adaptor?

- PCM 3 Y cable (PN 997-612-471-02) to connect the car iPod socket to the Bluetooth adaptor. The Y cable is required as the USB section is used to derive power for the adaptor. You can get this cable from the OPC for £25.

Careful when installing as the pins in the round connector are delicate and break easily.

As the usb is only for power, you could use a multi-usb adapter and have an additional usb music source (I use a thumb drive loaded with mp3's).

trent said:
Where best to buy Bovee 1000 30 pin to Bluetooth adaptor?

First check out eBay to see if anyone is offloading a used one for cheap (note: it used to be called a Viseeo Tune2Air, so search that too). Otherwise Amazon ought to have them. :thumb:

Thanks guys, as ever very helpful.

I'll pop into Reading OPC tomorrow to see if they have a Y-cable in stock quickly followed by a trip to Currys/PCWorld or Apple for the OG 30 pin to Lightning connector.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back