Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

F1 coverage and presenters

jl-c

Montreal
Well having watched SKY coverage for the first time as against Channel 4, oh dear, they are so unprofessional and how many times do we have to see a couple of drivers surfing. Boring and vacuous! Get some coverage back to terrestrial that was total crap, just so glad I chose not to pay for the privilege. :wtf: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I only watch the on track action on there. All live, no adverts, no Eddie Jordan.

MC

I did the exact same. Here us a copy paste of a WhatsApp message I sent to another F1 tragic.
"So I'm just comparing the quality of the commentary on the F1. Without a shadow of a doubt, Coulthard and co ***** all over Brundle and co. Night and day in my books."
Spot on :thumb:

Coulthard is ace as a commentator and would be great as the host on TG.

Here then is a small collection of David Coulthard's most memorable quotes.

'I am not motivated by recognition, I just do things I like doing – racing, shagging, eating and drinking."
Before the 2008 British Grand Prix about the poor weather

'I can feel the water soaking into my boxer shorts, and at my age I'm not sure whether I've wet myself or if its' the rain."
After being bumped in the head by a cameraman

'If I was Montoya I'd be like 'what the ***** are you doing?'"
Describing the Malaysian Grand Prix heat

'It's like having to do some physical exercise in a sauna, effectively, and unless it was having sex, I cannot imagine why anyone would want to do anything in a sauna"
On Montoya after clashing with the Columbian at the 2006 British Grand Prix

'I wouldn't waste my time by going to see Juan Pablo. It would be like going to a zoo and trying to communicate with a chimpanzee."
Ralf Schumacher told a press conference at Malaysia in 2004 that he would run Montoya off the road if the two came together on the track. Coulthard's response was

'Thats brilliant. Oh sorry I was just meant to think that. Go for it."
About the stewards who fined him for missing the drivers parade

'I said 'You've fined me 4,000 Euros, I've done 230-odd grands prix and never missed one except for Malaysia where I was ill and in the medical centre. So that's 4,000 Euros out of my children's inheritance!' There was no reaction from them. No smile or anything. So I then said to them 'Okay, let's cut it to 2000 Euros if I pay in cash.' Still no reaction. So I then asked Alan Donnelly if he could translate that, because that is somewhat funny in English. But he said it was only funny in Scottish. I've told Karen no shopping and next week. No food on the table. We'll take the pain together!"
After colliding with Felipe Massa at the 2008 Australian Grand Prix

'I know I screwed up the same way with Alex last year but I took full responsibility for it and I would expect Felipe to do the same. If he doesn't, then I'm gonna kick three colours of ***** out of the little bastard."
About the risk of being electrocuted by KERS

'I'll be wearing a full rubber body suit to make sure that I'm safe. Formula 1 driving suits will become like fireproof condoms!"
When asked in a press conference what affect a new aero package would have on his car

'Well, unsurprisingly, I hope it's going to improve performance."
Lewis Hamilton was challenged by Jenson Button during a press conference to compete in a triathlon. Coulthard added

'He's throwing down a man challenge. You can't turn down a man challenge."
When DC was later asked to join the triathlon he responded with

'I'm 37 years old for *****'s sake"
To an RTL commentator who asked DC about his cool suit

'It's a bullet proof vest because I know when I get interviewed by you that people might want to shoot you and I don't want to get the bullet instead."
On crashing during practice for the 2008 Malaysian Grand Prix

'I am glad it happened here rather than Spa and at Eau Rouge. Otherwise you'd be picking bits of me out of the grandstand right now."
On his biggest regret in F1

'I think the biggest regret, there was 2 Argentinean twins at the 95 Grand Prix that I walked away from, and I wish I'd taken that opportunity"
When asked if there was ever a time in his career that a teammate made him so angry he sought revenge

'It involves girls, it doesn't involve cars"
On Michael Schumacher's winter testing with Ferrari in 2007

'I think there is a guy called Michael. It looks as though he's got a talent. He will make his way to F1."
Stirring up Felipe Massa during a press conference

Coulthard: 'How do we know that Ferrari didn't deliberately not put fuel in Felipe's car? Maybe that was a team decision to benefit Kimi. How do you forget to put fuel in the car?"
Massa: 'Yeah, but it wasn't on purpose. It was a misunderstanding."
Coulthard: 'Pretty fundamental misunderstanding. I think it's a conspiracy to favour Kimi. Good luck."
About Mark Webber throwing up during the 2007 Japanese Grand Prix

'I don't understand it because I thought I cooked that fish enough."
When told he would have to repeat his answer for a TV interview because there was a problem with the camera

'That was a ***** awesome answer. How can there be a problem? That was just JYS textbook."
On testing in Malaysia as opposed to Barcelona

'I think it's funny to hear Nico saying that testing somewhere else is nice because it gets a bit boring even though he's only been in Formula One for a couple of years. Imagine how I feel!"
When interviewed with Jenson Button before the 2004 British Grand Prix

Interviewer: 'Both of you took part in the London demonstration earlier this week; can we have your impressions of it? '
Coulthard: 'Well, I think first of all you've got to be clear that that was the Grand Prix demonstration and not the Gay Rights demonstration, just for anyone who might be in any doubt as to what we were doing."
Later, during the same interview

Interviewer: 'Actually you've been with Jenson, haven't you David?"
Coulthard: 'It depends in what sense you mean I've been with him."
'I don't agree with financial penalties. That goes against my religion."
When Montoya purposely avoided a question during a press conference, Coulthard added

'That's how important he thinks your questions are – he doesn't listen to them."
On his altercation in the pits with Schumacher during the 1998 Belgian Grand Prix

'I didn't realise, looking at the video footage, that little Jean Todt and Stefano Domenicali followed him into the garage. Stefano has got hold of him, but you have little Jean Todt getting pulled along like a little mini man. And the whole thing gets turned around because Forks, who used to be the big guy at McLaren who did the fuel, he just pushed Michael out. And as Michael gets pushed out, Jean runs into it like a car crash. They are the funny moments I will remember."
On the possibility of joining Lewis Hamilton in the Race of Champions

'I'd love to ride his coat tails and win something."
And of course, there have been his numerous exchanges with Louise Goodman.

When asked by Louise how the cold weather was affecting the Grand Prix weekend

'Well, it's a lot nicer to look at you in your tight t-shirts first out."
When asked by Louise if Mark Webber was the teammate he expected him to be

'He's more gentle. He caresses my hair and things like that."
Louise responded with 'I'm not going to get a sensible answer out of you here am I"

I like Brundle's commentary it was refreshing to hear him again. He has a great insight into what's going on during the races and points it out time and time again.
The mid field racing looked quite competitive today and new British Driver Lando Norriis did alright I thought.
Bring back Murray Walker unless I am very much mistaken he set the benchmark in F1 presentation never to be bettered!

Aside from the intermittent vacuous commentary, was there something wrong with the Sky F1 audio today? and at yesterday's qualifying..... It seemed like they were using two tin cans and a piece of string instead of wireless technology.....very tinny sound quality :pc:

Anybody else notice that? or do I need a new T.V. or worse a new hearing aid :grin:

Porschekit said:
Aside from the intermittent vacuous commentary, was there something wrong with the Sky F1 audio today? and at yesterday's qualifying..... It seemed like they were using two tin cans and a piece of string instead of wireless technology.....very tinny sound quality :pc:

Anybody else notice that? or do I need a new T.V. or worse a new hearing aid :grin:

Yes noticed it and post race the lip-sync was out too. Just rubbish all round.
Murray Walker, Suzy Perry, David Coultard and Mark Webber, Susie Wolff, my dream team. :wink:

I'd pay sky extra to keep Eddie Jordan out of my living room.

DC, well,that list of quotes tells all you need to know..

Having said that the sheer amount of presenters Sky has is obviously contributing to the cost of it! They just need to lose the shouty outy Crofty. If you have a whole channel dedicated to 21 races a year then you'll have to expect some filler content.

Btw, what happened to Ted?

Senoj said:
I'd pay sky extra to keep Eddie Jordan out of my living room.

DC, well,that list of quotes tells all you need to know..

Having said that the sheer amount of presenters Sky has is obviously contributing to the cost of it! They just need to lose the shouty outy Crofty. If you have a whole channel dedicated to 21 races a year then you'll have to expect some filler content.

Btw, what happened to Ted?

I think he's been moved to a midweek slot for the season.

F1

WOW I didn't realise that anybody still watched F1. I gave up on that boring follow-the leader crap years ago Oh are they still bringing in new rules to make it exciting to watch? Scotland v England,now that was exciting!

I refuse to pay Sky`s exorbitant charges, as a pensioner I think I should get them free ... like my prescriptions .... so I watch F1 on channel 4. Coulthard and Weber are great, I just can`t stand the presenter ..... Steve Jones ? what a complete richard :nooo:

I still watch F1 occasionally but I don't know why! Watched the highlights on C4 this afternoon and fell asleep, soooo boring!! Actually the commentary is more interesting than the racing these days! Forget F1 and watch MotoGP, more overtaking in half a race than a whole season of F1!

DucatiRob said:
Forget F1 and watch MotoGP, more overtaking in half a race than a whole season of F1!

Always been the case.. 10% agree m8 :thumb:

Osh

If you score your motorsport by the number of overtakes in a given race then F1 has never been very good.

MC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccosh
Back