Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Super Unleaded in Scotland

GP41

I'm planning a trip through Scotland in June: Carlisle - Glasgow - Glencoe - Ardnamurchan - Fort William, then across to Grantown-on-Spey and down through the Cairngorms to Edinburgh.

I can fill up at the Shell station near the Erskine bridge and I seem to recall there being a Gleaner station near Ben Nevis that used to sell Super but the next fuel stop I can see is back in Edinburgh. I'm on a tight schedule so can't afford to head up to Inverness where I understand they have Momentum. Are there any other Super unleaded pumps in between? I see there's a Tesco petrol station at Blairgowrie but I don't know whether it does Momentum.

I've reviewed various NC500 posts (some fantastic pictures and videos :eek:) but I'm not heading up that far.

Thanks in advance for any help - I'd rather not be driving Miss Daisy from Ben Nevis back to Edinburgh....

:floor: :floor: :floor:

It's Scotland mate. Not the fekin moon.... I'm sure you'll make it....

GP41 said:
I'm planning a trip through Scotland in June: Carlisle - Glasgow - Glencoe - Ardnamurchan - Fort William, then across to Grantown-on-Spey and down through the Cairngorms to Edinburgh.

I can fill up at the Shell station near the Erskine bridge and I seem to recall there being a Gleaner station near Ben Nevis that used to sell Super but the next fuel stop I can see is back in Edinburgh. I'm on a tight schedule so can't afford to head up to Inverness where I understand they have Momentum. Are there any other Super unleaded pumps in between? I see there's a Tesco petrol station at Blairgowrie but I don't know whether it does Momentum.

I've reviewed various NC500 posts (some fantastic pictures and videos :eek:) but I'm not heading up that far.

Thanks in advance for any help - I'd rather not be driving Miss Daisy from Ben Nevis back to Edinburgh....

Great route but I have to say that the part you haven't got time for Inverness & North is even better ...;-)

Ive added a few locations in CAPS where you would have a good chance of 98ron.. maybe someone could add some more definite info in for these locations ...

Carlisle - Glasgow - Glencoe-BALLACHULISH Ardnamurchan - Fort William, then across to AVIEMORE Grantown-on-Spey ,TOMINTOUL , PERTH and down through the Cairngorms PERTH to Edinburgh

Enjoy the drive , keep your eyes open around Grantown on Spey for the Boys in Blue ....good roads = BIB

Terry

It won't detract noticeably from the car's performance if you fill up with 95ron once in a while.

In fact I sometimes worry that in stations where demand is lower, and its likely to have been sitting in tanks for a while whether some of the advantage is lost and you'd do better with fresh 95.

And does anyone from trading standards test whether the fuel grades are actually different?

Norfolk & Idea said:

Thanks for that valuable piece of worldly advice - much appreciated.

911TEL said:
GP41 said:

Great route but I have to say that the part you haven't got time for Inverness & North is even better ...;-)

Ive added a few locations in CAPS where you would have a good chance of 98ron.. maybe someone could add some more definite info in for these locations ...

Carlisle - Glasgow - Glencoe-BALLACHULISH Ardnamurchan - Fort William, then across to AVIEMORE Grantown-on-Spey ,TOMINTOUL , PERTH and down through the Cairngorms PERTH to Edinburgh

Enjoy the drive , keep your eyes open around Grantown on Spey for the Boys in Blue ....good roads = BIB

Terry

Thanks Terry - I'll keep my eyes peeled. Aviemore sounds like a good shout.

:thumbs:

Norfolk & Idea said:

I love N&I's posts :grin:

:thumb:

When I did the NC500 I had some Millers octane booster with me. I'll be taking more of the same this May :thumb:

That way all I had to worry about was enjoying the driving.....and trying hard not to be the muppet tourist who'd stuffed his Porsche in a ditch or peat bog :grin:

New997buyer said:
When I did the NC500 I had some Millers octane booster with me. I'll be taking more of the same this May :thumb:

That way all I had to worry about was enjoying the driving.....and trying hard not to be the muppet tourist who'd stuffed his Porsche in a ditch or peat bog :grin:

:thumb:

Erm, yes, I guess that would be just a little embarrassing :oops:

Norfolk & Idea said:

Where most of our oil and petrol comes from :grin:

Hopefully you'll also be able to avoid those horse and carts :wink:

Enjoy 👍

Your car will be fine with a couple of tanks of 95, I've been north of Inverness many times and in some places finding a fuel station is a bonus - never mind super! despite the good driving roads the total time on full power will be low (compared to say a track) so with Porsche engines all designed to be OK on 95 I wouldn't worry.

The Highlands are beautiful - choose your route based on time available and roads/scenery rather than chasing down fuel and you'll get more pleasure from your trip.

Theres a Tesco at Oban , 1 Soroba Ln, Oban PA34 4HX

Unfortunately google images only shows 1 type of green and one type of black juice.

Have fun!

Definitely worth doing the old military road through the Cairngorms down from Grantown-on-spey towards Lecht ski resort and on to Balmoral

Thanks for all the tips.

patpending - it's ironic isn't it. I don't think I'll be all that far from Grangemouth on my drive back into Edinburgh. :roll:

Just one question. What should I mix the cowpats with to get them through the neck of the fuel tank?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back