Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BBS E88 18'' 997.1 Gt3

-ollie-

Guys,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of E88's for my 997.1 GT3 (non RS).

I can't decide on 18's or 19's. I'd prefer 18's as they're a little lighter, and I think tyres will be a little more reasonable.

Does anyone here run 18's for track work on a GT3? What tyre sizes do you run?

Thanks

Ollie

295/30 is the widest Michelin Cup2 or Pirelli Trofeo R if you going with 18". That's not wide enough for 997 rear. I guess Toyo has wider rears available but.. :dont know:

Good point re tyre sizes. Unless it's for slicks?

E88 not so sweet looking in 19" but more tyre choice.

Argh - this makes me sad.

18's look so much nicer, but you're both correct, tyre sizes are heavily limited.

I will continue to investigate, if anyone is running an E marked 18'' tyre on a 997.1 GT3 please let me know.

-ollie- said:
Argh - this makes me sad.

18's look so much nicer, but you're both correct, tyre sizes are heavily limited.

I will continue to investigate, if anyone is running an E marked 18'' tyre on a 997.1 GT3 please let me know.

Welcome to the world of the 996 GT3 owner = Very limited rear tyre options for road use.

The 19" version may not look quite as cool as the 18" E88, but it widens your choice of good quality road/track tyres massively. No brainer IMO

itxHXmd.jpg

I'm fairly sure you won't get an 18" E88 to fit over your 380mm discs - the number of 18" wheels that will is extremely limited. I use the OZ Allegerrita, which are very light, & they do but only just - about 3mm clearance. Be prepared to cover the wheel-facing surface of the caliper with rubber from marble pickup on the inside of the wheel, plus the odd stone acting as a lathe on the inside barrel of the wheel.

NXI20 said:
I'm fairly sure you won't get an 18" E88 to fit over your 380mm discs - the number of 18" wheels that will is extremely limited. I use the OZ Allegerrita, which are very light, & they do but only just - about 3mm clearance. Be prepared to cover the wheel-facing surface of the caliper with rubber from marble pickup on the inside of the wheel, plus the odd stone acting as a lathe on the inside barrel of the wheel.

Hi Nick,

They will fit, just - I'm known for being wedded to potentially stupid ideas!

I'm still investigating, Toyo 888's are available in this size but my experience of these is not good, they don't withstand many heat cycles and the wet weather performance is laughable.

I considered 18's a few years back. I remember thinking that the idea of less weight and the looks put them in front of the 19's, but the lack of tyre options at the time were a limiting factor. I didn't even realise brake clearance might be an issue, so glad I steered clear :grin: Stuck with 19's in the end, if you go with OZ wheels then you have some viable lightweight wheel options in that size. Looks-wise the E88 in 18" are probably ahead though ... 8)

-ollie- said:
NXI20 said:

Hi Nick,

They will fit, just - I'm known for being wedded to potentially stupid ideas!

I'm still investigating, Toyo 888's are available in this size but my experience of these is not good, they don't withstand many heat cycles and the wet weather performance is laughable.

E88s are designed specifically with large brake discs and calipers in mind. Their design allows as much clearance both radially and axially to facilitate this :)

The R88R is supposed to a big improvement over the original R888.

Slippydiff said:

They're really not. I tried them last year but they suffer the same problems as the R888 - they melt on heavy / high power cars.

The best road legal trackday tyre remains the Pirelli Trofeo R - strange that every other Pirelli tyre is rubbish compared to the Michelin equivelent but at the really high end they've got it so right.

NXI20 said:
Slippydiff said:

They're really not. I tried them last year but they suffer the same problems as the R888 - they melt on heavy / high power cars.

The best road legal trackday tyre remains the Pirelli Trofeo R - strange that every other Pirelli tyre is rubbish compared to the Michelin equivelent but at the really high end they've got it so right.

Personally I really rate the Direzza, although I've not tired the Trofeo R.

NXI20 said:
Slippydiff said:

What, no response to my comments about the E88's Nick ... ??? :grin:

https://www.apexraceparts.com/porsche-wheels-introduction

These guys make a decent wheel, Apex Race Parts. Just started a Porsche fit in 18's

been making for BMW track toys for ages, light, strong, designed for big brakes, some nice features and reasonably priced. Track wheel end of the day, will get ragged up soon enough.

porsche_gt3_sm-10_19xflat_deep_satinblack.jpg
[/url]

HSC911 said:
-ollie- said:
although I've not tired the Trofeo R.

BOOM BOOM :floor:

I know, I know :grin:

:coat:

I wish I could take credit for that, but it was a genuine typo :thumb:

Senoj, thanks for the suggestion. I'm familiar with Apex, but have my heart set on E88's. I have an E36 M3 which I race, I allow myself much greater artistic license with. However with the Porsche I have a very specific vision in mind!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back