Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Carerra s with 98k

tvrkris

Hi guys this is my first post. I am looking at purchasing a 997 Carerra S 2005 model and I have found one with 3 previous owners and 98k on the clock the car has had its engine replaced at 44k by Porsche under warranty in 2005. the car is all orgional. any advise would be helpful about potential purchase.

the car will be a weekend car and will only do arround 4k per annum.

never owned a 911 before

many thanks

Kris :)

Hi Kris
PPI is a must, there are a few gotchas on the early 997s that you need to be aware of. A PPI will uncover these for you. To have the engine replaced after 44k miles in one year, perhaps the year is wrong.

Oops apologies it was replaced in 2010.... at Porsche centre Bristol he has the worksheet for it....

Anything else I should be looking for... it has the hot start issue but I have priced that up locally at around £350 from an independent..

Given it is a 2005 it would be worth checking if the revised IMS bearing was fitted along with the new engine. Also, when you are getting the PPI done, make sure they check for bore scoring.

Best of luck :thumbs:

My theory in buying a new car from the used market is that there is something that needs doing which forced the sale for a new car. It's not the case every time, but there seems to be a gotcha somewhere.
A PPI will help uncover the hidden gems. A/C condensers cop a hammering, steering racks weep and suspension components wear.
These cars aren't anymore expensive to run so long as you buy well and maintain well. Put things off and before you know it, it can be quite the bill of accumulated issues.
The well documented potential issues around the engine need investigating, along with best practice to avoid the issue in the future to the best of your ability should you go ahead.
Enjoy the search but go with eyes wide open :thumb:

Pay for a borescope.
Pay for a borescope.
Pay for a borescope.
Pay for a borescope.
And have it done by someone who knows what they are looking for. Where are you located? I'm sure the guys on here can point you in the direction of someone good to do the PPI

Everything else is chicken-feed to fix, but if its got scored cylinders you'll be looking at £10k to fix (roughly).

The PPI will cost you a few hundred quid but it can save you thousands and give you awesome peace of mind.

Just because it had a new engine does not mean it is immune from the problems. Lots of scoring happens before 40k miles and the new engine still has the old flaws.

If it does not have any scoring then snap it up. Clean engines on this generation are getting increasingly harder to find. Anything else which may need fixing is minor in comparison.

Good luck with the purchase, show us some pics, and :welcome:

welcome - you've come to the right place

others will respond with far more technical/eloquent explanations of what to look for

however, as someone who owns pretty much the exact car you've looking at I'd say the advice is simple - listen to the advice, do you checks, and then enjoy.

I'm tempting fate, I know, but my 93k mile 2005 feels, drives, and looks like a much newer car and (touches wood) doesn't cost an arm and leg to run

Low number of owners is a good sign. It implies a cherished car (to me anyway).

James M-S said:
Low number of owners is a good sign. It implies a cherished car (to me anyway).

...and me too!

As stated by most of the others above.......make sure you get the bores checked :thumb:

:welcome:

so the car has had 2 previous owners full porsche history until 2013 at Porsche Devon, then maintained by SCS in Devon. I am going to contact SCS to see if they can tell me about the car the owner has agreed for me to do this....

is there anything I should specifically ask SCS

Recent works include all wheels balanced, coolant system replaced, new suspension diagonal link arms (under warranty) and front anti-roll bars.

tvrkris said:
so the car has had 2 previous owners full porsche history until 2013 at Porsche Devon, then maintained by SCS in Devon. I am going to contact SCS to see if they can tell me about the car the owner has agreed for me to do this....

is there anything I should specifically ask SCS

Recent works include all wheels balanced, coolant system replaced, new suspension diagonal link arms (under warranty) and front anti-roll bars.

MOT history online is usually a good shout, to see what was flagged as advisories etc to see they've been sorted.

Clutch may or may not be an issue at that mileage.

If coolant system replaced means all the aluminium pipes, then that is a good job done.

I would expect clutch to have been done, if not there's your first haggling point :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back