Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 12
997 : 2004- 69
996 : 1997-2005 31
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 14
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
-ollie-
Trainee


Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Posts: 51



PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: New Seats for Gt3 Clubsport Reply with quote

Guys,

I have a 997.1 Clubsport with the factory buckets. Whilst they look very cool, they're too narrow for me - I am sat "on" the seat, rather than in it. My hips and shoulders are wider than is ideal for this width of seat.

My question is, if I buy a pair of wide Recaro's or similar, will they bolt into the factor side mounts present in my car? Or do I need to consider alternative mounts to allow a greater width? My current feeling is they won't, as they will be wider - perhaps I'm being daft.

If anyone has fitted a wider seat to a CS please chime in, I'd like to get this right first time and not have to deal with the seat contacting the centre console or door etc.

Cheers

Ollie
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Cunno
Indianapolis


Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 2331
Location: Nottinghamshire


PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never done this with the fixed 997 seat but I expect it’s the same as other buckets. The side mounts won’t fit so you will need to buy new ones which are compatible with the new seat.
Bret- Krause do a good range which can be sourced from uk suppliers such as Design 911. The issue will be how to fix the harnesses which you need to figure out before committing.

Alternatively you can buy these which have it all figured out for you and allow for a lower driving position.

https://www.bbiautosport.com/products-1/bbi-seat-base-and-slider-kit

I have the GMG racing version of this, down side there about 1-2 kg heavier than standard runners and side mounts.
_________________
Porsche is for driving not for washing.
Present Car: 2006 3.6 Porsche GT3 997(White)
Ex: 2006 3.4 Porsche Cayman S (Silver)
Ex: 2001 2.7 Porsche Boxster (Seal Grey)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-ollie-
Trainee


Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Posts: 51



PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Cunno, I'll get what you suggest, lower seat is a plus too.

Harnesses are no problem I don't think as mine bolt into the chassis already with it being a CS.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Cunno
Indianapolis


Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 2331
Location: Nottinghamshire


PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-ollie- wrote:
Cheers Cunno, I'll get what you suggest, lower seat is a plus too.

Harnesses are no problem I don't think as mine bolt into the chassis already with it being a CS.


Just make sure the seat you buy are compatible with the base. I run Recaro SPG XL seats and would recommend for the bigger gentleman. Also don’t forget about the lap belts connections
_________________
Porsche is for driving not for washing.
Present Car: 2006 3.6 Porsche GT3 997(White)
Ex: 2006 3.4 Porsche Cayman S (Silver)
Ex: 2001 2.7 Porsche Boxster (Seal Grey)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-ollie-
Trainee


Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Posts: 51



PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cunno wrote:
-ollie- wrote:
Cheers Cunno, I'll get what you suggest, lower seat is a plus too.

Harnesses are no problem I don't think as mine bolt into the chassis already with it being a CS.


Just make sure the seat you buy are compatible with the base. I run Recaro SPG XL seats and would recommend for the bigger gentleman. Also don’t forget about the lap belts connections


I'm 6ft3 and circa 85kg - is that similar to you? I can't wait to be more comfortable in mine, the factory buckets are hellish.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Cunno
Indianapolis


Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 2331
Location: Nottinghamshire


PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-ollie- wrote:
Cunno wrote:
-ollie- wrote:
Cheers Cunno, I'll get what you suggest, lower seat is a plus too.

Harnesses are no problem I don't think as mine bolt into the chassis already with it being a CS.


Just make sure the seat you buy are compatible with the base. I run Recaro SPG XL seats and would recommend for the bigger gentleman. Also don’t forget about the lap belts connections


I'm 6ft3 and circa 85kg - is that similar to you? I can't wait to be more comfortable in mine, the factory buckets are hellish.


No I’m shorter and fatter Thumb
_________________
Porsche is for driving not for washing.
Present Car: 2006 3.6 Porsche GT3 997(White)
Ex: 2006 3.4 Porsche Cayman S (Silver)
Ex: 2001 2.7 Porsche Boxster (Seal Grey)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Cunno
Indianapolis


Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 2331
Location: Nottinghamshire


PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SPG XL will suit your height and the extra width will sort the issue you raised earlier
_________________
Porsche is for driving not for washing.
Present Car: 2006 3.6 Porsche GT3 997(White)
Ex: 2006 3.4 Porsche Cayman S (Silver)
Ex: 2001 2.7 Porsche Boxster (Seal Grey)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-ollie-
Trainee


Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Posts: 51



PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cunno wrote:
The SPG XL will suit your height and the extra width will sort the issue you raised earlier


Cheers dude. Have just ordered a pair of Profi PSG XL's to cheer myself up after a rubbish day. Also dropped Design 911 a note to see if they have the BBI mounts in stock, rather than pay the US import charges ordering direct from BBI.

Track day @ Croft today.

5am start, meant to be a relaxing break from work for a day.

Warmed the car through, got some heat in the tyres - first flying lap and lost power steering, red light on dash. Immediately pitted expecting to see the aux belt shredded, nope... it's in one piece.

Crank pulley nut has wound itself undone - rubbish.

Had to get the car recovered to Fearnsport, it's just arrived.

The up's and down's of playing with cars!

Yours is a .1 also from memory, have you ever had this?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Senoj
Zolder


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 5179
Location: Sussex


PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a new one on me. Question
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-ollie-
Trainee


Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Posts: 51



PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senoj wrote:
That’s a new one on me. Question


It was on me too.

Possible causes range from missed shift & over rev, to it not being quite tight enough from the factory.

I was adamant I hadn't missed a shift, although it went whilst heel & toeing down the box on the start/finish straight.

Matt @ FS has subsequently read the ECU and confirmed I didn't over rev it Laughing

So the theory is it was waiting to go, just happened today. New bolt, pulley and washer to go on, with some loctite!

Rather it happen at Croft than at Spa. Still a rubbish day though.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Senoj
Zolder


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 5179
Location: Sussex


PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. It’s the ones we get away with that matter most Thumb
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-ollie-
Trainee


Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Posts: 51



PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senoj wrote:
Indeed. It’s the ones we get away with that matter most Thumb
Thumb
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Slippydiff
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 293



PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senoj wrote:
That’s a new one on me. Question


Not uncommon, likely causes seem to be overevving or some kind of weird sh*t resonant frequencies due to lightweight flywheel fitment....
Pretty sure I remember reading some guys on Rennlist had had issues.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-ollie-
Trainee


Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Posts: 51



PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippydiff wrote:
Senoj wrote:
That’s a new one on me. Question


Not uncommon, likely causes seem to be overevving or some kind of weird sh*t resonant frequencies due to lightweight flywheel fitment....
Pretty sure I remember reading some guys on Rennlist had had issues.


Hi Slippy,

Definitely no over rev scenario, Fearnsport has verified by reading the ECU. I was also adamant I hadn't prior to them checking (obviously didn't believe me! Laughing )

The Yanks do seem to think the cause is to do with the LTWFW fitment, but I can't see how this is possible. If a LTWFW was causing such resonance through the crank as to make the crank pulley nut come undone, it would run the bearings within seconds, let alone allow the engine to run long enough to make a bolt come undone on the opposite side.

I don't buy that theory, and think it's something else.

If anyone has a view on the resonance theory from over the pond, I'd be interested to hear it. It doesn't make sense to me!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-ollie-
Trainee


Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Posts: 51



PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI guys, the existing CS seats are not for sale.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Cunno
Indianapolis


Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 2331
Location: Nottinghamshire


PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-ollie- wrote:
FYI guys, the existing CS seats are not for sale.


Wise move Thumb

Do you have a LWFW? As standard they have a dual.
_________________
Porsche is for driving not for washing.
Present Car: 2006 3.6 Porsche GT3 997(White)
Ex: 2006 3.4 Porsche Cayman S (Silver)
Ex: 2001 2.7 Porsche Boxster (Seal Grey)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-ollie-
Trainee


Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Posts: 51



PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cunno wrote:
-ollie- wrote:
FYI guys, the existing CS seats are not for sale.


Wise move Thumb

Do you have a LWFW? As standard they have a dual.


Yes it has a 964 Cup ltwfw and a 4.0 RS clutch
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Roro
Long Beach


Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Posts: 6298



PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s one of the mods I wanted to have done (LWFW), but Fearnsport never got back to me last year ... or was it the year before. Would be interested to know if it was that mod that caused the power steering issue or not Question
_________________
2007 997.1 GT3
2017 F87 M2
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-ollie-
Trainee


Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Posts: 51



PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roro wrote:
That’s one of the mods I wanted to have done (LWFW), but Fearnsport never got back to me last year ... or was it the year before. Would be interested to know if it was that mod that caused the power steering issue or not Question


I personally can't see how it could be Roro, but would be happy to hear from anyone who is technically minded on engine harmonics etc.

The Yanks seem (to me at least) come up with a variety of interesting theories & fixes for issues which our lot on this side of the pond don't subscribe to.

Fearnsport tell me they have fitted many of these flywheel setups with no issues, and the cause of the crank pulley nut coming undone is simply that it wasn't tight enough in the first instance.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Slippydiff
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 293



PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-ollie- wrote:
Slippydiff wrote:
Senoj wrote:
That’s a new one on me. Question


Not uncommon, likely causes seem to be overevving or some kind of weird sh*t resonant frequencies due to lightweight flywheel fitment....
Pretty sure I remember reading some guys on Rennlist had had issues.


Hi Slippy,

Definitely no over rev scenario, Fearnsport has verified by reading the ECU. I was also adamant I hadn't prior to them checking (obviously didn't believe me! Laughing )

The Yanks do seem to think the cause is to do with the LTWFW fitment, but I can't see how this is possible. If a LTWFW was causing such resonance through the crank as to make the crank pulley nut come undone, it would run the bearings within seconds, let alone allow the engine to run long enough to make a bolt come undone on the opposite side.

I don't buy that theory, and think it's something else.

If anyone has a view on the resonance theory from over the pond, I'd be interested to hear it. It doesn't make sense to me!


I'm with Matty and his views on a lot of stuff the Yanks produce for our cars. But rest assured harmonic frequencies can make stuff come loose whilst having no adverse effects whatsoever on the how the crank bearings function.

Plenty of information about the issue here :

http://performancedevelopments.com/porsche6cylharmonicenginefailure/

Take a look at the images of a failed crank and you'll see the journals are all intact and undamaged.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of 996/997 GT3's and 2's running with LWT flywheels without issue, and Matty will know the vast majority run without ANY issues whatsoever, but occasionally there are clearly rogue cranks (or harmonic dampers) or usage that cause a catastrophic failure.

Or the wrong bolt/pulley being used ... :

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt2-and-gt3/693276-gt3-with-light-weight-flywheel-lwfw-you-must-replace-crank-pulley-to-track-diy.html

I've seen truck engines with sheared/snapped crankshafts (because the harmonic damper had failed) and the bearings/journals were all perfect, the only problem was the crankshaft was in two pieces ... !!!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum