Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Technical question on knock sensors and remapping

tyinsky

Suzuka
For those of us that have remapped the car, usually this is done on V-Power at the most common place to get it done. What happens if you can't get V-Power and have to use regular for a tank or two? Or even longer?

Does the knock sensor still adjust within parameters or is it better to have a bottle of octane booster in the trunk just in case. Then unhook the battery so it resets back once the good stuff is back on tap.

Since the rebuild I have fueled exclusively on V-Power, but there will come a time this year when that's going to be unrealistic...

78051112.jpg

You should be ok in the States if you stick to premium grades which is 97 RON equivalent. I would carry a can or 2 of octane booster if you get stuck in some backwater. The ignition will retard if knocking occurs, not sure if it needs an ecu reset. Depends I suppose on what chip you run, if in doubt stick your std chip back in.

My car had a 9tuning chip when I bought it, long story short when the chip was causing issues, the 993 would go into a kind of limp mode, the only syptom was that the rev limiter would cut in at 6000 abruptly rather than softly at 6700ish. I guess you would get the same if the knock sensor had been activated using lesser fuel.

Wayne will have left a margin when setting the car up so I doubt you would have any issue even running on normal 95 all the time, higher octane just gives a little extra. The knock sensors are the final failsafe and will retard the ignition upto 6 deg iirc.

For it to run fine on 95 and not need the knock sensors, it won't magically give more on higher octane.

Magic919 said:
For it to run fine on 95 and not need the knock sensors, it won't magically give more on higher octane.

Appologies as my post wasn't very clear. I wasn't suggesting more power just an increase in the margin before the knock sensors would be needed.
If forced to use a lower octane fuel then I would avoid big engine loads and high revs especially if the engine is running hot i.e in City traffic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back