Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CAE Shifter.. talk to me.

RXP.

Monza
Hey gents,

Does anyone here have a CAE fitted to their car?

Any thoughts/ comments welcome.

It certainly looks cool. These are also used in some serious MINI builds. There is a competitor called CoolerWorks (or werks, or werx, or whatever), but it seems to require more finessing to install properly.

I'd have to drive a car with one fitted before pulling the trigger: the gearchange is such an important touch point.

Hi Max,

The throw looks to be a lot shorter than the Factory SSK currently on the car.

I was told not to fit one. I must be honest, I can't remember the reasons why. But my gearbox is not standard.

I love it tho and had really wanted one. There u have it. No help what so ever

FRP said:
I was told not to fit one. I must be honest, I can't remember the reasons why. But my gearbox is not standard.

I love it tho and had really wanted one. There u have it. No help what so ever

Ha. The car is with 9e, hence debating on what to do.

Speak to Ken or Adam,,,,see what they say and feedback ???

Well, in the MINI community, I've not heard a single complaint about the CAE: it might help that the R53 and R56 S/JCW/GP cars are fitted with some very robust Getrag six speeds, and nobody needs to swap out a gearbox with big power/torque (whether replacement superchargers or turbo conversions).

MaxA said:
It certainly looks cool. These are also used in some serious MINI builds. There is a competitor called CoolerWorks (or werks, or werx, or whatever), but it seems to require more finessing to install properly.

I'd have to drive a car with one fitted before pulling the trigger: the gearchange is such an important touch point.

I know people rave about Coolerworx in the MINI world so I spoke to them about this but they're apparently at least another year away, if it happens at all.

Maybe if more people expressed an interest it could speed things up. I even offered my car for development and that wasn't enough to get the ball rolling.

Not heard of the coolerworx before. I am familiar with the CAE on the E46 m3. Which was very good, the knob being close to the wheel coupled with a precise shift and the cente spring made shifting so enjoyable, it elevated the whole driving experience.

For me there are three main tactile points in the car which directly affect the feel of the car.

Steering wheel. Manual gear selector and the Seats.

Looks are subjective, I like the CAE it reminds of the the exige 410 sport interior.

Thanks interesting read.

So no one is actually currently running a CAE shifter?

RXP. said:
Thanks interesting read.

So no one is actually currently running a CAE shifter?

Senoj (Dan) han one on his RS for a couple of years believe he has just removed it pm him for a report

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back