Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bridgestone tyres

Delanor

Nurburgring
Has anyone any experience/thoughts on Bridgestone tyres I have "N rated" REO50`s fitted at present I have no problem with their performance/grip in the wet or dry but Bridgestones are noted for very stiff side walls and they do seem to be on the hard side or is it down to firm suspension.

Del.

When I bought my 996 it had a new set of Bridgestone Potenzas fitted, the car was downright dangerous as far as I was concerned, I couldnt stop the thing in the wet or dry, the rear end skipped around like nobodies business :nooo:

New set of Michelin PS2s and all was as it should be :grin:

All i can say is they are a bitch to replace .. the hardest sidewall of any make i can think of .

I would think this would translate to a harder ride but im afraid im not driver so cant really comment there .

I would probably go with Michelin or Pirelli .. both to me seem to be good tyres .

I had pilot sports on my 996 c4s and they were great. Really inspired confidence. I have Bridgestone Potenzas on my 997 c2s and like Kurlykris i just hate the things. Under hard acceleration it feels as if the back is going to overtake the front. Very skittish and nervy. I cant wait to wear the damned things out!
Rick

I have them on my Turbo and whilst I've had no issues on the road they are rubbish on a track, I mean really bad, once they get hot they just don't grip.

On a side note BlackCricles have a 10% off going till midnight tonight 04/03.

Guys,
We are driving fairly quick cars and you're all saying awful tyres... dangerous etc... you're putting your life, friends and family in this car I guess... fit a fresh set of decent tyres and stay alive!!!
I never scrape on the 2 things that keep us alive...

Tyres and brakes....

deMort said:
All i can say is they are a bitch to replace .. the hardest sidewall of any make i can think of .

I run Bridgestone REO50`s on my RX-8 and they are really good the last time I changed them I had a set of 4 that needed to be changed I usually buy my tyres on the internet take the wheels off (after one clown put the jack through the floor of my RS Turbo) and get them fitted locally, in this instance Formula1 Autocentres had opened a new place so all new equipment etc so I thought I`ll go there, well their fitter? got the first wheel up to remove the old Bridgestone tyre after I said don`t damage the alloys as they are a rare special edition and after about half an hour of trying he went and got the manager then with his help the pair of them tried again to remove the tyre, after another 20 minutes the fitter came up and said he couldn`t guarantee the alloy would not be damaged taking the tyre off so I said leave it and went to a local Mr Tyre depot I had used before and had a word with the manager and explained what had just happened, well he nearly fell off his chair laughing and said "I`ll come and do them" which he did removing all 4 and fitting the new ones without causing any damage to the alloys.

I know Bridgestones can be a pig to change but he did it so easily just with standard tyre changing equipment.

Del.

The wierd thing is, I run Bridgestone Potenzas on my daily Merc and they are great :dont know:
Maybe it`s because the Merc weighs about 5 tonnes :D

I've just ordered 4 new tyres on the basis that the rears are full worn and, with a couples of cycles from winter>summer tyres, the fronts are somewhat worn and somewhat old....

The summer tyres I'm replacing are Continental SportContact 2 and I'm switching to Michelin PS2 - its where all the reviews and the reliable supply seem to be pointing

I ran a lot of previous (lighter?) cars on Yokohamas... older/heavier cars maybe on Bridgestones.... the 996 just seems to be fully pointed at Michelin - feels like thats where Porsche give all their N ratings as well as the main track/cup focus

I've RE50 runflats on a BMW and they were by far the hardest sidewalled tyre I've experienced...

When I bought my 996 it had a new set of Bridgestone Potenzas fitted, the car was downright dangerous as far as I was concerned, I couldnt stop the thing in the wet or dry, the rear end skipped around like nobodies business nooo

New set of Michelin PS2s and all was as it should be Grin

My experience exactly (although my Bridgestones were 12 moths past their 'sell-by' date, so could have been over-hard?)

cvega said:
I've RE50 runflats on a BMW and they were by far the hardest sidewalled tyre I've experienced...

Runflats of any tyre will have stiff sidwalls.

Del.

Had Bridgestone S02A's on the rears, prior to current PS4's. Could trust them, rear was very hard to unstick. The Pirelli P0's on the front were downright lethal in comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back