Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ferrous/lokasil change over

UncleP

Can anyone tell me if there's an easy way to tell if a 3.4 is the earlier ferrous pistons?

I gather the production change over was around 2000 but does that mean there's a clear change as I assume some 2001 cars registered march 01 would have possibly been in production late 2000.

Also, does model have any influence c2/c4?

Last question. Will a standard compression test alert to bore scoring? Or better to get a borescope?

You'd need to send a pm to bazhart to get a simple answer about this or ring Hartech Engineering.

I had a quick look using the 'Search Forum' function using the word lokasil and the author bazhart and it came up with dozens of posts.

If you've got the time to do it you might find the answer in one of them.

I can't see why a C2 would be any different to a C4. The engine is the same.

Regarding borescore as I understand it the only way to know for sure is to have a borescope done by someone who knows how to analyse the resultant pictures.

Thanks. I did search and spent most of the afternoon trawling through posts. It was a post Baz made on pistonheads that started me wondering as it gave rough production change over dates.

I had hoped there would be a simple way to tell e.g cars built post August 2000 were the plastic ones.

This is from a 2013 PistonHeads thread posted by Hartech. Probably gives as much info as I need for an informed decision.

"Early engines like Boxster 2.5, 2.7, 3.2 and the early 3.4 996 were OK. Later 996 3.4 engines could fail but didn't create enough torque to do so in numbers. (and had KS or Mahle pistons with a different piston coating)."

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back