Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wanted entry level 996

Rjm2000

Hi all
I am looking for an entry level car, I have not got a lot to spend but if anyone has a nice little weekend car for me please let me know, seen one the other week at 8500 but I was to late. So please let me know if you have anything or know to a car
Thank you Ryan

...£8.5k for a 996 !?

It will be a shed and require a ton of money throwing at it to get it anywhere near decent...you need to add at least another £10k and even then it will likely require further expenditure...these cars require a lot of attention to keep them running right...and by attention I mean money...

Blunt but honest...sorry if this bursts your bubble...

GMG's right, there's no such thing as a cheap 996.

If you're wanting an entry level Porsche then look at the 986 boxster S. Lots around and your budget will get a very nice example.

The boxster is 95% of the 996 and in many ways is the better car. Its currently the sports car bargain of the decade. There is an awesome silver one for sale on boxa.net for just over your budget and its probably as good a car as you'll see.

Don't buy a 911 with that budget.

:thumb:

I know this is the bottom end of the market and money will need to be spent but which ever car I buy will need work, new rads clutch ims etc and as you say they share a lot of parts with the boxster so are a good car to maintain. I am looking for a car that has been used and not just keeped in a garage all its life as I find a used car is better then a garage queen. But I do understand what you are saying, but I already own a 924 944 and a boxster so understand the running cost but I do the work myself as this is my trade so when I did the boxster air con It was just the cost of the parts and I know this can be an expensive job as I have been looking around the forum at the prices you guys are paying. I know it is a ask for a cheap 996 but you don't get unless you ask.

Can't hurt to ask!

Having just spent 3 months looking for (and buying) my own C2 I reckon to get a 996 at that price in the current market you'll be looking at a long-legged tiptronic without much going for it in terms of history/replacement parts.

Let us know how you get on

Rjm2000 said:
I know this is the bottom end of the market and money will need to be spent but which ever car I buy will need work, new rads clutch ims etc and as you say they share a lot of parts with the boxster so are a good car to maintain. I am looking for a car that has been used and not just keeped in a garage all its life as I find a used car is better then a garage queen. But I do understand what you are saying, but I already own a 924 944 and a boxster so understand the running cost but I do the work myself as this is my trade so when I did the boxster air con It was just the cost of the parts and I know this can be an expensive job as I have been looking around the forum at the prices you guys are paying. I know it is a ask for a cheap 996 but you don't get unless you ask.

Fair play, if you already know what you're doing then go for it.

:welcome: by the way!

Pics of your cars are mandatory too :thumb:

ragpicker said:
GMG's right, there's no such thing as a cheap 996.

If you're on the ball you can pick up a Cat N car for peanuts that may only have very minimal damage.

Lowest priced cars I've been studying over the last 3 or 4 months are the unloved spec combo of:
* Tiptronic
* Over 120k miles
* Cabriolet
* Patchy history

You can find some hard tops for budget prices in Cat C/D/N and also not damaged coupes with a green interior :D

ebay, gumtree, pistonheads, autotrader, facebook marketplace, etyc.

Rjm2000 said:

I bought a cheap (or should I say unloved) 996 and have spent over £10k on it so far bringing it back to top standard & still have a long way to go. Once I'm finished though, I'll know that I have an awesome 996 with lots of preventative maintenance.

Seems like you have done your homework.. My tip would be try to spend more time on the phone with the seller before travelling to see a car, you can usually gauge how loved the car is. More bargains tend to appear on eBay, but loved ones imo are generally on autotrader/pistonheads (& this forum!).

I've been looking for one within a £15k budget and even then pickings are slim. I've been looking for about 2 months now and have only spotted maybe 1 or 2 intergalactic mileage questionable spec cars for your budget so it's not impossible.

In 2 months I've also not seen many CAT C/D cars for sale and despite the internet telling me a 996 is guaranteed to blow up I've only seen 1 for sale with a fubar engine. And it wasn't far off your budget.

As you are in the trade as Alex says I would have a keen eye on all the salvage auctions round the country, an early 996 on over 100k miles would be easily written off for light damage. If its front end then boxster parts are cheap.

5 years ago mine was on ebay, "reserve not met". I never bid but called the guy up (people never do this), and talked it through with him - he wanted rid and was going to relist with no reserve but I talked him into letting me have it for the final bid.

I do all my own spannering and I've spent £6k on parts and servicing in 5 years.

I wrote my 996 off with minimal damage last year, I bought the salvage back and it sold to a mate who fixed it for about £1k (he's in the trade), he ended up with a lovely well specced C4 with 70k miles and FSH for a lot less than £8.5k.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back