Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Giving up on a 996 - I think it's time for an M3

Jackzi

Silverstone
After looking for a 996 that ticked my boxes and fit within my budget for over a year, I've come to the conclusion (in a massively simplified sense) that I can't afford one.

It's a hard admission to make. But at least I'm being honest with myself.

And I don't know how many others on here (or who lurk) were tempted by prices around the 15-19k mark, but my experience of looking at around a dozen cars and getting 4 pre-purchase inspections done (all failed) has shown that a cheap 911 will usually need at least another 4 grand spent.

I could have been unlucky. But after spending around a grand on inspections and driving around the country I think I'm done. And the second car that would have been the back up in case the 911 was out is now too worn out to continue to repair. So having a 911 as an only car doesn't really make sense.

It's a shame, as one of the nice things about (potential) reacquisition of a Porsche was the cameraderie and sense of community and friendship on this forum.

So now I'm close to pulling the trigger on an E90 M3. It's a four door, V8 manual and seems to be the best in terms of offering practicality as well as a good laugh on occasion.

I'd ask you lot to talk me out of it (I'm sure you can) but I've started to like the M3s and think they have a fair bit of character. Problem is that I like an M3 a lot. But I love a 911. :sad:

Needs must as they say. And fingers crossed that a 996 is still attainable in terms of price in the next couple of years :?:

Have you considered the E46 M3? There is a very nice CS for sale on here. They are cracking cars.

MC

Not that it will help with your decision, but I have had an e92 and e46 M3, and as much as I can see why people like them, they're just not for me.
I've tried twice now, and think I will have to admit, I just prefer a bit more of a less compromising sports car.

Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Don't rule out the Alpina if you go down that route. Similar in some ways to the M3 but much rarer and a bit more exclusive ( in my unbiased opinion obviously) Great value too.

I have had mine (the wife's really) for 12 years and it's still brilliant. She wouldn't change it for anything.

The e9x M's are cracking cars. Quite a bit more of a modern chassis than a 996. They were on the drawing board at BMW same time as 997's so a generation ahead so to speak.

There will be limited choice on four doors. Enigine is a masterpiece but budget an end bearing change as preventative maintenance if it's a bit leggy.

Knocks a std 996 into a cocked hat for me.

I've got a lot of time for the E46 M3 and I saw the one on here.

But given that I want to go for a more modern, (hopefully) less maintenance-prone bit of convenience and fun, the E46 would defy the point a bit. I'd put them in a similar territory to the 996 in terms of driving experience.

And you're right Senoj that the M3 would have been on a CAD machine not too long after the 997 was developed. I helped launch the 997 and remember the technological 'evolution' well.

The M3 issues seem a bit easier to stomach than IMS and bore score. The cars I'm looking at have all had the throttle actuators done and a rod bearing replacement comes in around 1.5-2k, which is OK in my book, compared with a call to Hartech.

I love Alpinas too, but there are very, very few for sale. A B3s Estate would be awesome but those are all in owners hands and I doubt they'll let go.

I'll keep lusting after a C4S, but they've gone silly money now and every one I inspected was owned by people who thought 'to hell with maintenance - I've got an appreciating asset - make it the next man's problem'. The good ones aren't for sale, simple as that.

I do hope the M3 grows on me :?

C4S will have the same engine worries. I lusted too a few years back now and bought a turbo instead. Because Mezger.

Almost got out of my Cayman literally this time last year due to an incoming bundle of joy, was all lined up for a well kept E92 is it?! 2 door, had the preventative done and was owned by a Detailer...

Really just dont give me the fizz, yeah 410 horses of V8 goodness was nice. Mostly felt like I was sitting in a Transit, both height of seating position and the Micra quality carpets.

BMW interiors leave me cold, E46 M3 over my mkIV R32, give me the Golf interior any day of the week!

Alas, I turned down silly money for my Cayman, still have her. I know that one of these days I'll need to be able to take the family around... so the Cayman will have to go, I think E92 or S4 is the only viable option at my price bracket. Audi looks way way nicer, but is way too heavy for its power. Beamer undoubtedly goes better, can do track days, but looks plain.

Love the BMW interior. Always driver focussed and functional. Build quality on e9x was very good, they are a bit heavy! Get an EDC car with the DCT, super combination, box suits the engine very very well.

I had mine for just under two years as a daily and have now turned it into a bit of a ring special, mainly because in stock form it felt so nice and had loads of potential. For a road car just leave well alone apart from an exhaust mod to get a little extra noise out of it.

I owned a 2008 e93 m3, now in a 2004 c4s.

The v8 m3 is prob one of the best cars I've owned. The engine is solid. The v8 speaks for itself. My friend has an m4 and although faster on paper lacks the rawness of the e9x.

I actually regret the sale and I'm now looking for a cheap one for track days.

I only sold as I've always wanted the 996 c4s at at the time couldn't have the car sat in the garage. Big mistake ... just like when I sold my Miami blue 205 gti for £500 (I digress)

E9x have come into a really good value point last couple of years, great as a daily as so useable and yes engine issues much more easy to swallow than a 996 rebuild, were you looking at manual or dtc?

My two cents - has to be dct.. bmw got that right ! And putting aside the quality, the blips from the exhaust on downshifts is amazing.

Forum wise which OP mentioned.. m3cutters is good although some argue a lot 😂

I have looked multiple times at getting an E9x and thought about gearboxes. I prefer a manual but in this case the ratios on the DCT are much better.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I have looked multiple times at getting an E9x and thought about gearboxes. I prefer a manual but in this case the ratios on the DCT are much better.

MC

I love a manual. E46, manual all day long, 911, manual all day long. In this particular car the DCT gearing just suits it. It's not an Uber smooth device and has a character of its own. The EDC makes for a very supple car, don't make the normal mistake of going for heavy comp pack wheels and spacers (or reps as 99% do) takes the edge of the way it handles. I did it, looked great but..

I am with Jackzi in that if you are going down the BMW M3 route, get a manual not an auto box Alpina. I have not driven the e92 but did have the e39 V8 M5 (manual). Bearing in mind it was a lighter smaller car, they are heavy motorway cruisers and not really sports cars like a Porsche.

An e46 M3 is quite a bit smaller than the e92 and there must be some carefully maintained ones at your price level. Either way good luck with the V8 M3 as a family cruiser I am sure it will be great but as a back road fun car it's too big like most modern cars.

There is plenty of time to get into a 996 or 997 later on in life.

Pip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back