Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Who's got a golden rod, or RS linkage, or both?

tyinsky

Is it worth doing?

Not really had any issue but I was reading somewhere one tightens up the feel, the other makes the shift feel closer together.

Suspect it has been asked before so probably should do a search. I think nickjonesn4 did it recently? :pistols:

I have fitted both and replaced all bushings.
A very different feel. Box is notchier (if that's a real word) but for my application on The Red Baron it suits. The short shift is noticeable but I have ended up fitting a Function First extended shift lever as if falls to hand better. This may have increased the throw a little but now the set up feels just right.
All that rubberyness (again....) has gone. I can feel it engage the gear. This might be a little mechanical for some
:bye:

Done mine very recently (both SSK & Goldenrod), not had chance to drive it yet but I've heard it's a very worthwhile upgrade.

If doing make sure you swap out the thin white shims that hold the mechanism in place.

Trev

I'm having the SSK and Golden Rod as we speak. I also replaced the clutch slave cylinder last year with the MPL product which improved clutch feel and movement. I'll report back when i get the car back in the coming weeks.

Just the RS shift rod (964 part number). At the time, what with the need to ship the goldenrod from the US and pay customs etc and given Porsche will give 10% off for PCGB AND the fact they had one in stock when I needed it - I decided the RS part was the easiest option :)

An excellent modification, in my view.

Sharpens up the shift.

Adding an SSK to a turbo is less straightforward due to the drive shaft and as its not a car you need to flick through the ratios on as often as an n/a machine, I wasn't sure I'd benefit from it.

That said, the SSK is on my list of things to discuss with the Mr Sanger :)

I think the 4WD variants are less straightforward for the SS as some...bespoke bodywork... (ie a whack or two with a hammer) is required for it to fit! "For that reason, I'm out".

I would be very interested to compare one with this mod v one with new standard bushes/linkage. <this is never going to happen>

Go for it.

I had the RS SS from Gert 15+ years ago when I had my 993C4 and loved it. Visually, the bottom of the gaitor could just about be seen underneath but nothing otherwise

In fact I liked it so much that when we had a 993 C4 gearbox & front diff installed into our 964 C4, we opted to have it again (also bought from Gert). the 964 has a central panel in the underfloor pans which is separate from the main ones (can't remember if this is the case in a 993? :?: ) and that needed 'adjusting' but that was all. Very minor work

very sweet gearchanges now :thumb: I would recommend it - great product and good value

HTH
:thumbs:

snb993 said:
I had the RS SS from Gert 15+ years ago when I had my 993C4 and loved it. Visually, the bottom of the gaitor could just about be seen underneath but nothing otherwise

In fact I liked it so much that when we had a 993 C4 gearbox & front diff installed into our 964 C4, we opted to have it again (also bought from Gert). the 964 has a central panel in the underfloor pans which is separate from the main ones (can't remember if this is the case in a 993? :?: ) and that needed 'adjusting' but that was all. Very minor work

very sweet gearchanges now :thumb: I would recommend it - great product and good value

HTH
:thumbs:

You got to make sure you switch the oval rubber/plastic parts 180 degrees, these hold the shaft in place, the RS SSK requires them to be rotated OR you will have issues with clearance at the bottom.

Trev

Highly recommended. Porsche SSK from Gert and Goldenrod from FD. The reduction in stick travel isn't a lot but the precision of gearchages a delight coupled with RS engine mounts. Transmission mount did not make a noticable difference other than slight noise increase.
Wish I could get the same feel with the 944 but on the otherhand the handbrake is much better on the 944.
I changed the gearbox oil from Mobil FHC to the Porsche (Shell I think) oil.
No difference to changes but chatter is worse from the LWF.
Another great mod is the MPL slave cylinder especially for stop start driving. A remote bleeder is a tricky but great thing to do.

Had the SSK and Goldenrod fitted and the MPL cylinder. The combination had a great effect in my opinion: the shorter throw and feel of the shift made it worth it imho.

Mine is a C4: the "modification" required a few blows with a mallet. Nothing dramatic, and it's to an easily replaced cover/panel should you want to change it back.

Another vote for the FD Golden rod. I haven't bothered with the SSK as I'm not bothered by the length of the throw and didn't want to mod underneath (c4). The golden rod in my view sharpens up the gear change measurably and is possibly one of the best mods on a 993.

From memory the FD goldenrod is a fair bit different to the Porsche rod. It's certainly way more expensive. The goldenrod and SSK make a lovely difference to the 993 gear change. Worth having done.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back