Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 17
997 : 2004- 71
996 : 1997-2005 30
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 19
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 3
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

jcharalambides

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: How to get a higher pitched exhaust sound? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm seeking some advice from people who have tried out a few different exhaust options.

My current set up (2002 C2) is stock headers, Dansk 200 Cel cats fitted by previous owner and DesignTek switchable silencers. Overall the system is louder than stock on the "Quiet" setting and quite significantly noisier on the "Loud" one. The exhaust note is very heavy on the low end (very much below 3000 RPM), much less high end scream.

If i had to simplify things i would say on the scale of Tractor (heavy on low end) to F1 (high pitched) i am very much on the Tractor side. And on the scale of Loud to Quiet i am on the Loud side (do not pass the noise test on a 105 db track day at Brands Hatch on the "Loud" setting).

What i would like to achieve is: less Tractor, more F1, and quieter overall.

So how does one go about this? From spending time on YouTube it looks like all the switchable exhausts are louder than OEM on all settings and the favoured sound is Tractor (so to speak). I read somewhere that headers will give the racier F1 sound, but that was 1 post on a 997 forum.

Any thoughts on some switchable silencers that people have tried and might help move things in the right direction? Should i go the custom route, and if so who are some good people to work with around west london? which part of the exhaust should i focus on?

If you are an exhaust expert or have tried a variety of options and have some thoughts also please speak up!

Oh and one condition - the system ultimately needs to be able pass the noise test at Bedford track days!

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks
James

Paddy78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of that may not be achievable, due to the nature of the engine etc.

Have you thought about having one made for you. I'm sure there will be someone close to you that could make a system that ticks most, if not all of your boxes. They will be able to make it louder or quieter depending on what you want.

I too want to be more on the side of the F1 scale. I am looking at Tubi Style back boxes and then an X-Pipe if this is too quiet.

Last edited by Paddy78 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get a higher pitched exhaust sound? Reply with quote

jcharalambides wrote:

Oh and one condition - the system ultimately needs to be able pass the noise test at Bedford track days!

To get what you're after and to stay within 101 Db's will be a challenge - to say the least.
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

Robertb
Long Beach

2002 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting question. I do like the deep burble of my 3.6 with PSE, but equally, I like the howl of the GT3.

This lot came up on a 997 thread- to me its a great sound. Scroll down to the video at the bottom and have a listen. Bespoke too, so you can tailor the sound and volume you're looking for.

https://www.cgrautomotive.co.uk/single-post/Porsche-911-Exhaust

I fitted a Tubi system on an F355- it was dreadful. Sounded great in the videos from outside, but in the car it made a flat, annoying thick resonant booooom at more or less any normal road speed/engine revs combination. After a long drive to Norfolk and back I had it taken off and sold. This would make me very wary of installing any aftermarket kit without a proper test drive, or 'no quibble' refund arrangement.

Current: 2003 C4S Coupe, seal/black

Ex: '02 C4S Coupe, '96 993 Targa, '88 Carrera Sport Coupe

911munKy
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experiment with the induction sound first to get more of a F1 scream inside the cabin, you may find that ticks the box as it’s what you will mostly here without making the car more noisy externally.

Induction howl may be what you are after, try doing the HHR removal/cold air intake mod and then changing the air filter if you want more.
Much less expensive than changing the exhaust, my car has standard headers & CATs with a TG sports exhaust and I think it sounds great when I nail it.

sim996
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kreisseig (KSG) on my GTR. It's billed as an F1 sounding exhaust and only these guys make them. It's staged, I have 1 and 5, so quiet and loud. When you turn it off it cuts out the drone completely which is great for cruising, valves open and it screams!

It's not cheap though, shipped from Japan is $12k.

https://kreissieg.ocnk.net

Cheaper on the 996, but it will get you the sound you want.

jcharalambides

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robertb wrote:
This is an interesting question. I do like the deep burble of my 3.6 with PSE, but equally, I like the howl of the GT3.

This lot came up on a 997 thread- to me its a great sound. Scroll down to the video at the bottom and have a listen. Bespoke too, so you can tailor the sound and volume you're looking for.

https://www.cgrautomotive.co.uk/single-post/Porsche-911-Exhaust

I fitted a Tubi system on an F355- it was dreadful. Sounded great in the videos from outside, but in the car it made a flat, annoying thick resonant booooom at more or less any normal road speed/engine revs combination. After a long drive to Norfolk and back I had it taken off and sold. This would make me very wary of installing any aftermarket kit without a proper test drive, or 'no quibble' refund arrangement.

Thanks for the link Robert, it does sound good! I emailed the guys and we'll see what they say.

Good to hear your feedback on Tubi. Real life experience is always helpful.

jcharalambides

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get a higher pitched exhaust sound? Reply with quote

T8 wrote:
jcharalambides wrote:

To get what you're after and to stay within 101 Db's will be a challenge - to say the least.

I know - its the only place within reach with weekend trackdays though so this is important. Absolutely fine if its on the "Quiet" setting on a switchable.

jcharalambides

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy78 wrote:
Some of that may not be achievable, due to the nature of the engine etc.

Have you thought about having one made for you. I'm sure there will be someone close to you that could make a system that ticks most, if not all of your boxes. They will be able to make it louder or quieter depending on what you want.

I too want to be more on the side of the F1 scale. I am looking at Tubi Style back boxes and then an X-Pipe if this is too quiet.

I'm reaching out to a few people to enquire about a custom setup but don't really know where to start/ who are the right people to go to that know 996 exhaust well.

Had not heard of Tubi - listening to some youtube vids this doesn't seem to be the sound for me (have to imagine the real life sound is quite different though). a 'good exhaust sound' is a very subjective thing.

jcharalambides

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911munKy wrote:
Experiment with the induction sound first to get more of a F1 scream inside the cabin, you may find that ticks the box as it’s what you will mostly here without making the car more noisy externally.

Induction howl may be what you are after, try doing the HHR removal/cold air intake mod and then changing the air filter if you want more.
Much less expensive than changing the exhaust, my car has standard headers & CATs with a TG sports exhaust and I think it sounds great when I nail it.

I have a BMC filter in the standard box. Is that what you are referring to?
I am wary about adding more noise given track day restrictions. Do you think this could be an issue?

jcharalambides

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sim996 wrote:
I have a Kreisseig (KSG) on my GTR. It's billed as an F1 sounding exhaust and only these guys make them. It's staged, I have 1 and 5, so quiet and loud. When you turn it off it cuts out the drone completely which is great for cruising, valves open and it screams!

It's not cheap though, shipped from Japan is $12k.

https://kreissieg.ocnk.net

Cheaper on the 996, but it will get you the sound you want.

OMG that is expensive. I don't think i can bring myself to spend that much on something that just impacts sound. They are definitely going for that F1 sound though. Bet they are loud as hell also.

Thanks for pointing them out.

911munKy
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=60295

Follow this thread for info on the HHR/CAI mod,
It improved the sound inside the car for me and probably doesn’t add much to the external noise. Give it a go as it doesn’t cost much, probably badly £20 if you bought and cut your own hose to fit.

alex yates
Le Mans
Le Mans

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried tightening the belt? Grin

asterix_the_gaul
Suzuka

1999 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swop out the 200cell cats for standard ones, second hand sets should be available, that will be a long way to improving the sound given what you have said you want.
2002 E46 M3 Cabriolet, Laguna seca blue/LSB

Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dilemma is all our dilemmas , its always hard to make a German flat 6 sound like an F1 and those that have managed to get close seem to be the high end players in the exhaust market , the likes of Akrapovik etc.

some of what you have researched is on the right track and headers do make a difference partly due to shape and partly due to more sound from stainless steel. but do you want headers like the X51 three branches into a straight pipe or equal length into a merge collector . I found that the 996/997.1 engine was more (in your terms tractor) than the 997.2 with the DFI engine which is more high pitched. but still not what I would call F1 with that European high scream sound.

CGR that you have already reached out to did make a nice custom job for one of the 997.1 members on here. it was around the 2k mark. also have a chat to topgear exhausts as they also manufacture them.

also as mentioned TUBI has a nice sound on the 996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moMTLiEuBhE

heres a nice one seems a mix of Kline/topgear and tubi .if you said to Topgear "I want that sound they would probably know what you needed. dont forget forum members get 10% discount from Topgear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrSSutd6wTI

kline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5faVJ45J7lg

also consider whether big bore 200 cell cats will give you more the tone you want than std bore 200 cell cats , again topgear can help with that as they make both options .

Lastly and as already mentioned INDUCTION the howl from a free flowing induction does play a part in creating the sound your after . have you fitted the resonator delete and silicon hose with a BMC sports filter , thats the minimum place to start then look at single or twin cone performance induction . you will almost certainly need a remap if you go with something like fabspeed performance twin cone induction.

heres what I mean this is a race prepped 996 with fabspeed exhaust and induction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJc6It8v5is

but as Terry said whether any of it will be ok for the track db is another set of issues . but have a look at the vids as they may give you some thoughts and ideas Thumb Thumb

heres a vid of my 997.2 with 7k of exhaust and induction and its still not really an F1 sound ,so you may be chasing something thats you just cant fully achieve from the Porsche flat 6 engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AXOMSqjxjg

Kingb4
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterix_the_gaul wrote:
Swop out the 200cell cats for standard ones, second hand sets should be available, that will be a long way to improving the sound given what you have said you want.

Cheekily, if you do decide to swap out your 200 cell cats - I would be interested in buying them!

jcharalambides

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterix_the_gaul wrote:

Hi Asterix. Thanks for the suggestion, is the idea that the 200 cel cat makes everything louder or boomier? Or both?

jcharalambides

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingb4 wrote:
asterix_the_gaul wrote:

Cheekily, if you do decide to swap out your 200 cell cats - I would be interested in buying them!

All options are on the table at this stage - follow this thread!

Armagreggon85
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Ebay headers, pse boxes and top gear 200 cell x pipe cats.

While I wouldn't necessarily say it screams like an f1 car, when I put the x pipe cats on the noise definitely went from tractor more towards f1. I would say it has a fruity howl now which is definitely down to the x pipe.

I'd love to send you some clips however my car Is still off the road following ims bearing failure last May. Its getting pretty tough staying positive after dropping the engine myself, having it rebuilt, fitting the engine now having to drop it out again after covering less than 300 miles. Anyhoo, that's a different story which I will update in due course. Worth a look at an x pipe....

coullstar
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-pipe definitely smoothes the sound out and you get less of the tractor style as you name it.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: