Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne Turbo 958 Airbag light on - any ideas?

Drybeer

Hi. Airbag light came on today - anyone any experience of quick checks to do?

Could it be a spurious reading and a battery disconnect / reconnect could reset it and then see if it re-appears?

Curiously the car hadn't been used for a few days in the run up to this and then there was an alarm seemingly false activation while the car was locked this lunchtime...

Could a low battery voltage perhaps cause these glitches?

Thanks.

i do hate it when people say the cars designation .. give me the age and model and i know were i am !!

Basically i never learned all the numbers so dont have a clue :floor:

If this is an early Cayenne then both seats have a connection at the back , yellow plug .. well known to be a bit tight and cause an airbag light .. we cut out the plugs and just solder the wires together.

If newer then i need the code and what year it is please .

EDIT .. once an airbag fault code happens it can only be reset with a tester .. intermitant or not .. you need a tester to clear it .

deMort said:
i do hate it when people say the cars designation .. give me the age and model and i know were i am !!

Basically i never learned all the numbers so dont have a clue :floor:

If this is an early Cayenne then both seats have a connection at the back , yellow plug .. well known to be a bit tight and cause an airbag light .. we cut out the plugs and just solder the wires together.

If newer then i need the code and what year it is please .

EDIT .. once an airbag fault code happens it can only be reset with a tester .. intermitant or not .. you need a tester to clear it .

Great advice as always DeMort.

It's a 2010 newer (facelifted in 2014 and only just been replaced) shape Turbo. How do I find the 'code" you mention?

You will need a tester to integrate the cars systems .. airbag in this case .. you are looking for a fault code .. this will tell you what has triggered the light and tell me what the fault is .

I use some rather expensive gear to do this but im sure there are cheaper alternatives ... but im afraid thats a forum question as i dont know what to suggest there .

deMort said:
You will need a tester to integrate the cars systems .. airbag in this case .. you are looking for a fault code .. this will tell you what has triggered the light and tell me what the fault is .

I use some rather expensive gear to do this but im sure there are cheaper alternatives ... but im afraid thats a forum question as i dont know what to suggest there .

OK... Not sure if you'll know the answer to this but I work in an Audi dealership - have you any knowledge of there being any cross compatibility within brands where our test equipment might pick anything up from the Cayenne?

The systems will be similar .. a lot of the Cayenne is actually VW / Audi but i think your testers wont talk to a Porsche as ours wont talk to an Audi.

Its worth a try though .. VW tourag is similar .. not sure what the Audi equivelent is but if you have something similar then try connecting with that model ... if the airbag control unit is generic .. and no reason it wont be then you might get access .

Airbag is a specific system though so normal OBD rules dont apply .. Carb and i think it was ISO used to be on the old versions of ours and i expect your testers but that was mainly Engine data and not something like this .

I think if it was me .. with the cost of even a basic tester i would get my local Indy to plug in his tester and see what the code referes to .. he may well even say .. aghh ok its this and you need to replace this bit .

As you know .. reading off fault codes is pretty quick so shouldn,t cost a lot .

Edit .. just to say .. its worth investigateing the Durametric system .. ive herd there are cheap chinese ones ? .. this should give access to airbag ..

I think ask on the main forum about durametric and where is best to get one .. guys there know far more than me on this im afraid .

Thanks. The car has Porsche warranty so worst case I leave it until the OPC can look into but it's a roughly 100 miles drive to the nearest one, hence trying to reset initially.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back