Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Disconnecting interior lights

rickprice

Monza
Hi, I wonder if someone can offer up a suggestion or two?

I recently noticed (after 18 months of ownership) that the glove compartment light was not working. I read lots of threads on here and a lot of people had the same problem (interior lights generally, not just GB) , and often found that their lights had been disconnected.

So before buying a new unit for £12.99 I looked at mine and lo and behold it had indeed been disconnected.

All the other internal lights are working fine.

Working on the assumption that the connectors do not detach themselves, why do people disconnect these lights? Any ideas? Should I be worried about it? I have used the video on the phone to confirm the light goes off when the glovebox is closed, so no real suggestion this is a cause for battery drain.

Cheers

Rich

I can not think of any reason at all.
Never thought about using my phone to check if the light goes off when shut, loads of time I have wanted to know that on all sorts of things.
That's made my day that has :p

You can also use the phone for reading stupidly small writing - take photo, zoom in, read.

Almost as if your eyes were still ok!

If it's any consolation, the frunk and engine lights had been disabled - i.e. bulbs removed, in my car. No idea why. I discovered this when replacing all the internal bulbs with LED ones, which are much brighter incidentally.

Counter Of Beans said:
If it's any consolation, the frunk and engine lights had been disabled - i.e. bulbs removed, in my car. No idea why. I discovered this when replacing all the internal bulbs with LED ones, which are much brighter incidentally.

I removed my front boot bulb as I keep my bonnet slightly ajar when connected to a battery charger over the winter.

Can't say specifically for your cars but they are common causes of battery drain, along with cd changer and 'old' trackers still connected.

If you can check they go off - and stay off, (over 20 mins or more) then can't see why you'd not get the lights back working.

I had the problem where the micro switch that turns the glovebox light off when closed had worn the switch contact area and was no longer being pushed in far enough to switch off. Easy fix with a bit of tape on the rear of the glovebox. The horn gives a beep when you lock the car as a warning that something isn't turned off, I thought this was normal until I fixed this! :lol: Not sure if it does the same if the frunk or engine bay lights don't switch off :?:

Micro switches on the glove box can and do fail ... phone on video or listen for the click as it shuts is what i do .. but im usually looking for a discharge fault at this point .

i would guess that people disconnect these for the same reason they disconnect boot / bonnet lights .. dont want a flat battery .

The reality is the boot / bonnet almost never causes this but the glove box can and does .

Alarm beeping on locking .. its to tell you something is open .. the normal signal to the driver is a flash of the lights , not a beep ... 996/997 and im pretty sure everything after that .

Boot / bonnet , glove box .. 996 and center cubby will all cause a beep as will passenger door if open and locked .

Tobyone said:
Counter Of Beans said:

I removed my front boot bulb as I keep my bonnet slightly ajar when connected to a battery charger over the winter.

Oh, that's strange - I do exactly the same with my car (charge with bonnet slightly open that is) but the frunk light goes off after a few minutes, even when the charger is left connected.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back