Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dash Tweeter Upgrade?

Hi all,

One of the tweeters in my dash has blown, so i'm looking to upgrade them, I've searched here and google and can't seem to find any info on upgrade options and the size etc of the speaker I need to buy, can anyone point me in the right direction?

My car is a 2005 without Bose.

There's a good In Car entertainment placein Bishops Stortford which is usually happy to chat and advise. They do a standard upgrade package, but also loads of other stuff...

Thanks for the replies, I had happened upon that thread linked to on my google search but still couldn't find a simple answer to a simple question ~ what size speakers do I need to buy to upgrade the dash tweaters?

Surely I can't be the only person that has blown one?!

Sorry searched and can not find anything else on the subject. As you say somebody must have done it?

Hi Robert, I have been down the road of replacing the complete Bose system in my car, for the front set up I used a Focal 3-way component system, really good quality and great sound. I don't think these tweeters are available on their own and they might not work anyway as they are fed through a crossover and are 8 ohms impedance. Focal do a universal tweeter that that is 4 Ohms that might work. From the dimensions in their tech sheet it looks the same size as the ones I fitted.

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car-audio-kits-solutions/integration/universal/tweeters/twu15

Tech Sheet:

https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foc...document/universal_twu1.5-technical_sheet.pdf

And available from Caraudiosecurity.com or on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-TW...h=item5d630a0734:g:VGwAAOSwEVtbyMV-:rk:3:pf:0

Don't worry about the housings, the tweeter itself is separate and is a drop in fitment into the dash if the same size!

Old tweeter
IMG-1130.jpg

Focal tweeter fitted
IMG-1168.jpg

Hi and thanks for your reply, it's the closest I've got to 'these are what you need, they'll fit, and they'll be powerful enough', but I'm still confused!

The ones' you've linked to on Ebay, as far as you know will they fit and be suitable as replacements for the standard speakers? In an ideal world I'd like upgrades as the standard ones are clearly not man enough for the stereo I have.

Robert SausageTrousers said:
Hi and thanks for your reply, it's the closest I've got to 'these are what you need, they'll fit, and they'll be powerful enough', but I'm still confused!

The ones' you've linked to on Ebay, as far as you know will they fit and be suitable as replacements for the standard speakers? In an ideal world I'd like upgrades as the standard ones are clearly not man enough for the stereo I have.

Robert, really hard to give you a definitive answer re fitment! Although they are different tweeters to the ones I fitted (mine are part of a 3-way system) I would guess that they are the same basic item, re-worked as a 4 ohm universal. They come with the same type of housing options, the angled plastic thing and the flush mount with the grille. Neither of these are needed anyway as the tweeter unit is removed from the housing (snap fit) to mount in the dash.

I have measured the Bose tweeter and it is a 40mm fitting, unfortunately the drawing on the tech sheet only gives dimensions of the housing, 44.4mm, but this suggests the tweeter unit is the same - 40mm fitting!

What I don't know is what the impedance of the Bose tweeter, I will check tomorrow, the bass and mid units are 2 ohms, I doubt the tweeter will be the same, if so this might be a problem!

The other thing to be aware of is the Bose tweeter has a basic crossover attached which is just a simple capacitor. This can be easily removed and soldered to the Focal tweeter!

Porsche don't make things simple I'm afraid :frustrated:

I really appreciate your help. To make it clear, my car is a non-bose so just the standard speaker set up.

I'm really shocked to find that there isn't a huge amount of people who've had this problem before, and gutted to find out that it's not just a simple fix. Amazing when you consider these cars are 14 years old now! I commute 2hrs a day so the blown speaker is really spoiling my enjoyment of the car, I was hoping for a quick fix!

Robert SausageTrousers said:
I really appreciate your help. To make it clear, my car is a non-bose so just the standard speaker set up.

I'm really shocked to find that there isn't a huge amount of people who've had this problem before, and gutted to find out that it's not just a simple fix. Amazing when you consider these cars are 14 years old now! I commute 2hrs a day so the blown speaker is really spoiling my enjoyment of the car, I was hoping for a quick fix!

I can imagine your frustration Rob, it would drive me mad too! I suppose that a blown tweeter is fairly unusual, it is probably more common for the mid or bass to blow first!

Some good news at least, have measured the resistance of the tweeter, 3.8 ohms so they are 4 ohm units, only thing you need to check is that the tweeter is the same one as I have which is a Bose unit, they are easy to remove, just pry the plastic grille out and pull the tweeter out, they are retained by the moulded in clip you can see in my pic, which if I remember just move out the way with a screwdriver!

K2 Power Tweet

Hi guys, I realise this is quite an old thread but they are few and far between on tweeter installs.

I've gone with Focal K2 power mids & tweeters. The tweeters are 40mm TKM ones, hopefully similar. I was wondering if you needed to cut the dash at all to get them in? Those clips look quite vicious now I've got the BOSE ones out and I don't want to damage the Focal's.

They do have a ring ring to go round the top for factory installs without the grill, but that just makes it too big to go in, however the instructions say it should be used.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Mike

OK, this is relevant to a 991.1, but many thanks Ducati Rob! I bought a pair of those Focal tweeters you mention from eBay. They actually fit nicely into the ring on the grille where the Bose effort sits, with a small bit of slack. I fixed them in place using my hot glue gun (you can warm the glue up to remove the tweeters again, should you want to). You can't use the original spring clips because the Focal tweeter's much shallower than the Bose.

The Focals come complete with an in-line capacitor, so I cut off the speaker wire connectors & soldered the Focal wires in place. The results are very pleasing - a much better sound than those nasty Bose things.

Removing the tweeter grille's more involved than on the 997; there's a horrid clip on the back tab that you need to pull off by removing some trim pieces (instructions on uTube).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back