Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Blue Colours

wildej

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi, can anyone tell me the difference between aqua blue and deep metallic blue ?

Looking at some pics online they look similar, Is the aqua a lot brighter in the flesh compared to the other ?

Cheers

I would say that Aqua Blue is lighter and brighter.
This is Aqua

Attachments

• porsche_aqua_122.jpg
    porsche_aqua_122.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 1,927
And Dark Blue Metallic...

Attachments

• porsche_dbm_288.jpg
    porsche_dbm_288.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 1,926
There's no comparison between Aqua and DBM - as shown by the pics above.

Sapphire and Aqua on the other hand are very similar.

Thanks for the info and pics much appreciated.

Aqua does look nice in the photo.

NB: Deep Metallic Blue is not a Porsche colour.

If a 997 is described as such in an advert (and I've seen many) it usually means Dark Blue Metallic or sometimes Midnight Blue.

Aqua, Sapphire and Cobalt are all much lighter.

Lapis (rare on a 997) is somewhere in between.

Terry

My mistake - I should have picked up on that, as I have laughed in the past at the 'creative mind' that must have come up with that name!

mikeluke said:
My mistake - I should have picked up on that, as I have laughed in the past at the 'creative mind' that must have come up with that name!

I dunno, 'Dark Blue Metallic' is exactly what it says on the tin. :grin:

Seriously, I too was surprised when I first discovered that it was an actual colour.

I was in a dealer friend's showroom and the conversation went something like....

Me - "That dark blue metallic cabrio looks really nice. What colour is it?"

My mate - "It's Dark, Blue Metallic"

Me - "I can see that...."

Mate - "No, that's what the colour is called..."

:floor: reading the thread down scratching my head and thinking whats Dark metallic blue , not heard that before so googled it and see it is actually well mmmm er dark metallic blue :grin: but I think we would call it midnight or lapis blue. Aqua is the sort of replacement for Cobalt blue which has now been superseded by Sapphire blue all three look similar unless you put them next to each other .
I had midnight blue gen1 and now have aqua blue gen2

the top pic shows front car cobalt blue second and third cars aqua blue last car lapis blue :thumb:

Attachments

• 28685658252_5637ed60a0_c_985.jpg
    28685658252_5637ed60a0_c_985.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 1,778
  • a8d99fd5_6510_4a89_859a_e5176115b840_116.jpg
    a8d99fd5_6510_4a89_859a_e5176115b840_116.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1,778
  • img_2467_563.jpg
    img_2467_563.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 1,778
Phil 997 said:
:floor: reading the thread down scratching my head and thinking whats Dark metallic blue , not heard that before so googled it and see it is actually well mmmm er dark metallic blue :grin: but I think we would call it midnight or lapis blue.

No we wouldn't :hand:

Dark Blue Metallic is a 997 Porsche colour in its own right. It's 'deep metallic blue' that doesn't exist.

T8 said:
Phil 997 said:
:floor: reading the thread down scratching my head and thinking whats Dark metallic blue , not heard that before so googled it and see it is actually well mmmm er dark metallic blue :grin: but I think we would call it midnight or lapis blue.

No we wouldn't :hand:

Dark Blue Metallic is a 997 Porsche colour in its own right. It's 'deep metallic blue' that doesn't exist.

Ah, so is Dark blue metallic an old Porsche colour or a new colour thats superseded things like Lapis and midnight , and deep blue metallic is a made up name .

Phil 997 said:
Ah, so is Dark blue metallic an old Porsche colour or a new colour thats superseded things like Lapis and midnight

I hadn't heard of Dark Blue Metallic until pzero bought his first 997 GT3. I think it might have superseded Midnight as I can't recall a Gen2 997 in that colour.

Similarly I've never seen a Gen2 997 in Cobalt. It seems that Aqua and Sapphire replaced it.

Until I saw a Gen1 997T in Lapis last year I'd assumed it had gone away with the 996.

It seems like colours changed with the Gen2 997. :dont know:

997.2 had Aqua Blue and Midnight Blue as metallic options in 08, with Aqua being a few months after launch.

T8 said:
Phil 997 said:
Ah, so is Dark blue metallic an old Porsche colour or a new colour thats superseded things like Lapis and midnight

I hadn't heard of Dark Blue Metallic until pzero bought his first 997 GT3. I think it might have superseded Midnight as I can't recall a Gen2 997 in that colour.

Similarly I've never seen a Gen2 997 in Cobalt. It seems that Aqua and Sapphire replaced it.

Until I saw a Gen1 997T in Lapis last year I'd assumed it had gone away with the 996.

It seems like colours changed with the Gen2 997. :dont know:

This was my 997.2 GT3, in Dark Blue Metallic.
I was having a dig around for a pic that I took at Heddingham Castle from a few years ago. It was my GT3 next to the 991 GT3, also in DBM. (Couldn't find the pic, maybe T8 has one)

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back