Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 as a daily

orangefender

Anyone on here doing it?

I feel these cars are strong enough and might even benefit from regular use.

Looking at pulling the trigger on a C2 coupe manual with 100+ miles.

Big Phil (HPNer) on here uses his every day and drives it how it was intended :what: :worship:

You'll need to put in some dough to keep it regular

I did it and they are absolutely capable as a daily providing the car has/is/will be properly maintained. The engine is seriously reliable and components extremely well made (apart from the window switches!). Just get air-con as you'll roast in a 993 on the hotter days. 2k seems reasonable but can be very quickly eaten up (and that sum shouldn't include servicing)

MattyR said:
I did it and they are absolutely capable as a daily providing the car has/is/will be properly maintained. The engine is seriously reliable and components extremely well made (apart from the window switches!). Just get air-con as you'll roast in a 993 on the hotter days. 2k seems reasonable but can be very quickly eaten up (and that sum shouldn't include servicing)

Thanks. The car has had quite a bit spent on it last five years or so (£10K plus) with new clutch, suspension, exhaust cat and boxes, engine mounts etc. so hoping there won't be too many big bills still to come but you never know. I'm also going to get a pre-inspection done which will hopefully limit risk of any suprises.

The car doesn't have aircon. Appreciate what you're saying about aircon and yes can see that being a negative when say in traffic on a hot day and for de-misting but on the plus side one less thing to go wrong and less weight?

Yep, they are excellent daily drivers. I think its my sixth 911 (although four of those were between 1976 and 1983) and all have been daily drivers, I've done around thirty thousand miles in this one in the last few years. Took it up to Millbrook Proving Ground last week and drove the absolute nuts off it and it was bloody epic.
I've spent more than a few quid on the car, but in fact that was more for my OCD requirements than what was strictly necessary. But it is totally sorted now, Wayne remap, chassis legs, new sills, new wings, repaint, reupholstered Big Reds, Ohlins coilovers, Lightweight Flywheel, Goldenrod, RS Gearshift, MPL clutch slave, massive anti-roll bar and chunky strut brace, and some trick unobtainium steering parts. etc etc.
In normal driving mode there is not a rattle or squeak from any part of the car (although weirdly the doors did sound as if they were coming off on the Millbrook Handling Circuit).
Its not a particularly quick car in this day and age, but for an old git like me, its perfect, you can give it full beans all the time and get all the fun without going at the warp speeds a modern 911 disappears down the road (although I have a couple of motorcycles for that sort of lunacy!)
It handles beautifully, initially understeering mildly at the limit controlled easily by the throttle into mild controlled oversteer, nothing like the snap oversteer of the older cars, although that can be induced by being really heavy handed.
Every journey is an event, I see other people in their expensive washing machines and wonder if they know what they are missing.
I'll never sell mine.
I'm a firm believer in using them regularly otherwise they just dry up . .
:D

I used mine as a daily driver for many years

I'd say it was an acquired taste

It can definitely be done and is kinda fun, I lived in London at the time and used to sweat the rising engine temperature when in the choked London traffic

It can also pick up dents and scuffs from inconsiderate parking etc

Your budget of 2K a year is pretty good if you do a bit yourself l

Good luck with your purchase

I used mine as a daily up until about 4 years ago. Since then I have only covered about 2k miles and most of that has been over and back to Oulton Park. Last year I gave it to my trusted Indy and he did a 'necessities' and 'niceties' checklist. I got the 'necessities' done last year and with the 'niceties' to be done this year. This year he did a compression test and reported back everything 100% but said he would like to drop the engine to replace all perished pipes, hoses, gaskets etc and fix the usual oil leak. It has ended up being a bigger job than anticipated but he blamed a lot of the parts that needed too be replaced on lack of driving. So, my new years resolution is to drive it more and maybe like before, as my daily. I'm quite excited about picking the old girl up now with chassis rails, and other rusted bits sorted along with new Michelin PS2 shoes, SSK, Golden Rod, service and new rear reflector light. I think I'm falling in love all over again...

Hi mines a daily (C4S) that I have run for 9 years and I put around 100k miles on it in that time.
I have used it for driving the breadth and length of the UK to go to customer meetings. Yes some slush box luxo barge might have been a better choice for some or a diesel fumer...but for me I am happy to sit in my 993 and let the miles pass away. The seats I find are very comfortable, sure it's not as cosseting as a modern car but I like to hear the noises created by the car and outside world. And if I get tired of that I have the stereo.
I would want to make sure that it had all the expected jobs done irrespective if it was a 10k miler or 100k. Lot's of threads on here but chassis refresh, engine/gearbox mounts etc. I'd want to see that it wasn't just serviced but that extra work was carried out to replace worn part's and to keep it in fine fetal.
I have had no major items fail or go wrong with the car. I believe the regular use has helped towards this. The engine feels strong still and I have no nasty rattles, most of my miles have been motorways which helps. Last year I had a body refurb and full detial inside and out and dare I say it the car now look's better then when I bought it.
So I say go ahead, some will say you are mad and should go down the boring modern route but you only live once and if you want a 993 to drive daily just do it!

Thanks all, appreciated.

For context, I'm coming from something Italian and want a car which is a bit more useable, won't depreciate much but still interesting for popping in and out of the office three or four days a week (20 miles round trip), and the occasional longer trip (300 miles round trip) once a month. Expect I'll be doing 3-5k miles p.a. year round.

Sounds like very similar usage to my old 993 Targa when I had it.

Very usable on the motorway for long trips. The ride was better than my 330Ci Sport at the time. Running costs will not increase with that sort of mileage... arguably the car will thrive on regular use.

Give it a try... if you really don't get on with it and sell it I cant imagine that you would lose much on it.

Yep used mine as a daily for the first year here in Spain. Never missed a beat and with blue skies and sunshine you couldn't ask for more. :thumb:

ATB :)

Very similar story. I bought it in 2002 with 60k on the clock she's now done 175k. I acquired a 944 in 2012 which I now use in winter and for runs to the tip (amazing boot space)
Major refurb this winter (by self) chassis leg (just the one) engine leaks and I got rather carried away and did a vram conversion.
First run out today and I'm still grinning.
There are very few things that give me such a buzz at my age.
She was my daily for 10yrs, but now summer weekends and the occasional moral booster.
I feel £2k budget is rather optimistic unless you diy and even then parts are going through the roof. It's still a lot cheaper than getting married again.

I have had my 993 since 2001 and it was my daily for many years. Its very usable and surprisingly drives very similar to my recently acquired 997.2.

No water leaks, no tandem pump, no belt tensioner.

I would say go for it - you have very little to loose if you decide its not for you.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back