Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First problem with ''new'' 996

Brucey1

Went to go out for a drive , car is TOTally dead . Not sure how old the battery is on the car , im hoping it may be just the fact that I may have left the dash cam plugged in that has drained the battery and it's nothing more sinister .
Reading the hand book to find out where the battery actually is !😀

In the front boot. The cover is central just under the windscreen.

Hopefully it's an early car Brucey with manual bonnet lever not switches.

Battery is in front of the windscreen under a plastic cover. Good luck. :thumb:

The battery is in the front, just at the base of the windscreen. If a battery is on its way out it won't hold charge. Look for a date code on it. If the car is livked you might need to apply power to the fuse panel to open the bonnet as it could be.locked shut. If the battery wasn't knackered before it peobabky will be now. I would get a new one in and check for current drain.
Good luck. :thumb:

MC

Marky911 said:
Hopefully it's an early car Brucey with manual bonnet lever not switches.

If it is so dead that it won't unlock this might not help. There is a solenoid which locks the levers so that they won't move when the car is locked, unless that tab has been broken off the bottom of the levers.

MC

It has the electronic buttons , looks like I will have to hook a battery up to the fuse box to open the bonnet , then take it from there.
The camera was plugged in but there is a button to turn it off I can't remember if I turned it off , I will get a new battery at the weekend .
I'm p**sed off , was looking forward to a drive tonight 🤬

Pretty common on these unfortunately - definitely recommend a new battery - depending if you have a pre or post facelift car, the way to open the bonnet differs.

I just read the email the guy sent me when I enquired about the car , he said he had put a brand new battery in t a few weeks ago !
I will get it charged up and see if it holds a charge and take it from there , hope the new battery is not knackered .

I woild check for a battery drain issue, but your current battery will be damaged.
MC

Dont know why a new battery recommended? Something been left on, its gone flat!

Winter always a tough time for batteries esp if lots of short journeys and extra stuff switched on.

Stick it on charge and see if it holds is first step (as the OP said they'd do)

Ian

I've been known to bump start my 996 more than once.

Once a SLA battery has been drained below about 11.5 volts, irrecoverable damage will occur and the battery will never be quite the same again. A few dips below that will kill the battery off.

However you might well get away with it this once and the battery will likely serve you well for a few more years.

Brucey1 said:
Went to go out for a drive , car is TOTally dead . Not sure how old the battery is on the car , im hoping it may be just the fact that I may have left the dash cam plugged in that has drained the battery and it's nothing more sinister .
Reading the hand book to find out where the battery actually is !😀

How long was the car parked without been driven? Overnight? 1 week? Why did the PO put a new battery in? Is the 'new" battery the recommended size - smaller would be an issue.

The car was sitting for 4 days without being used , not sure why he put in new battery , he had the car a few months .
I got it started tonight, total pain in the arse trying to get other vehicle into position to get boot open and then start the car .
I will get to the bottom of it , as this would do my head in !!

See if it is the dash cam .. if not then i would be doing a battery discharge check with an amp meter to see it you have a drain thats causeing the battery to go flat.

There are many things that could cause this and it depends on the amp reading .. i can go into detail if needed .

Cheers mate , will let you know how I get on , hoping it was the dash cam !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back