Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New lightweight Otto Fuchs

Jamesx19

Hi,

Thought I'd post a few pics of my C2 with some newly fitted Otto Fuchs in 18" a'la RPM Technik CSR's.

Pictures available on a google search aren't that great so hope these contribute to anyone thinking of the same mod.

These weren't new, but a secondhand set that appeared on an online auction site..... briefly!

They come in at about 8.2 Kgs front and 8.8 Kgs Rear. Which is a fair saving over the original rims which were circa 12 kgs and 13.6 kgs (As quoted in http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php)

While the overall percentage weight reduction of the wheel/tyre combo isn't massive because the tyres still weigh the same and have the biggest effect on the moment of inertia, its still around 15% front and 20% rear less un-sprung weight.

I have fitted the wheels with additional 9mm spacers all round which weigh 400 grams each, negating some of the savings.

SOfytmh.jpg

3KVoQt4.jpg

WkLI9Eg.jpg

tuSsyvf.jpg

So the big question, other than the aesthetic...... Which is personal taste and if I'm honest Im slightly mourning the loss of the GT3.2 alloys! (They went to a good home though)

Do they make a positive difference you can feel? Short answer - Yes.

Is it massive? No.

Back to back comparison from taking the car into the tyre fitters and back out again 1 1/2 hours later, the low speed ride is better over a pot holed and bumpy surfaced 30 mph urban A road. Could I detect that the second time I drove it? No, not really.

However over a fast A, B and C roads, it is possible to detect that the cars handling is improved in a host of ways. It turns with less inertia, responds more crisply feels lighter and more delicate. All these are a tangible difference, but not a massive transformation if that makes sense?

The feeling is reminiscent of the series 1 Lotus Elise that I had for a while. While not approaching that level of tactility and hyper responsiveness, the C2 changes direction with a new alertness it didn't have before

To be clear though, this isn't lifting a blanket off the car, more a net curtain... The fundamental car is still very much the same, just with a little bit more clarity and delicacy.

Anyway, thoughts welcome. Clearly I'm not a motoring journalist or car tester, just an ordinary bloke with an opinion, but hopefully will give others a better perspective on whether to go for it or not.

Cheers

Very nice! 8)

Silver is a classic colour on a 911 too so it helps the whole look.

I must admit mind, I love Mk2 rims and they're mega rare, so it's a close run thing as to which I prefer. Both look good though. :thumb:

Look good, but i may be biased as i run Fuchs on mine all be it different manufacturer big thumbs up from me :thumbs:

They look gorgeous... you've now got me looking for a set....

They look very good! You must be well pleased to have picked those up second hand!
What suspension are you on? With the spacers, the wheels fill the arches nicely and the car sits just right.

They look brilliant thanks for posting. Something that's on my list to add (hopefully) this year to mine. Like you I've also been struggling to find good pics other than on the RPM site.

:thumb:

I do like these and did like my car on the similar wheels.

I'm not 100% sold on then on aerokit cars though.

Agree about lighter wheels but I find it's all these incremental things that add up to make the car nicer to drive.

Many thanks all.

Dammit - Yes, 8x18 ET52 and 10x18 ET65

Coulstar - Yeah, toying with going for a ducktail, but would have to sell the Aero spoiler to finance. That may hurt more than selling the GT3.2 alloys.

Sackerly - Pleasure.

Griffter - Yep, like spotting a unicorn in the woods! It's Bilstein B8 dampers with H&R springs. No problems with Geo. Runs new Meyle coffin arms and polybushed rear toe arms.

Baldguy, BHZ661, Kas750, - Thanks chaps.

May turn to the interior next. I have thoughts of Outlaws, Subtle stickers and bucket seats.......

Looking good!

Some great images with the Fuchs fitted, does suit the car.
Hopefully you won't miss the GT3.2 rims too much 😉

It will be interesting to do the test going the other way from the Fuchs to your old GT3.2 rims. I spoilt for choice now on wheels! With 3 sets for the gen2 and the originals aero GT3.1 wheels on the gen1

My wife is gonna kill me if she finds out :cop: :floor:

Mums the word!!!!

Attachments

• e56165e7_0c39_4321_a3b4_178a9cc9f641_711.jpeg
    e56165e7_0c39_4321_a3b4_178a9cc9f641_711.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 3,334
Glad you eventually got sorted James,

I'm not normally a fan of the Fuchs, but they do suit your car. Nice 8)

They look great James - As said above, I think they work really well with a silver car. Possibly as the car is principally Silver and black, the wheels echo this.....

Car looks stunning :thumb: Maybe the ducktail would tie them in even more :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back