Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mothballing a 996

paul987

Mexico City
I'm thinking about taking my c4s off the road for a little while... I know it sounds a little crazy maybe... But I've got a few bits and bobs I would like to do on her.. she's not getting any younger bless her being born in 2001 :lol:
But she's my daily.. She's nearly on 91k now and I've got a cayman roadster with 37k I never use so I thought why not give the old girl take a well earned rest and use the 987 take up the slack...

I'm not selling her shes a keeper
So any advice on storing a 996 for longer than usual periods without it imploding.. :?: :sad:

Disconnect the battery .. trickle charger .

Either rotate the wheels every 3 mothes or jack her up and on stands .

Dry garage .. if not then plenty of wax oil over everything underneath .

Make sure brake discs are totally dry before storeing .

shame shes going to be out of service though .

.......and leave your handbrake off :grin:

There is a lot of good advice on the classic car sites about cars being laid up over the winter. GT4 used to lay his car up for the winter and has contributed on the subject.

In addition to advice already given, I would suggest you operate the clutch every couple of weeks to stop it 'sticking to the flywheel' even if your garage is pretty dry. Crack the door windows open some way to keep air flowing in the inside to prevent mould build up or even a mouldy smell.

Regarding tyres, I use caravan chocks which maintain the circumference of the tyre. You can keep your tyres at normal tyre pressures. In addition, you can periodically 'bounce' the car to maintain the smooth operation of the shock absorbers.

There is conflicting advice about keeping your fuel tank full or empty to prevent condensation building up in the tank. On an old classic car it is much less of an issue as the tank can easily removed to prevent the problem. Moisture build up in the system is a theoretical problem in my view.

If it's laying up for a while I'd recommend plenty of fuel and add a fuel stabiliser, plutoline for instance.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back