Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

(Updated)996 Mayo, noise, oil leak - should I be worried....

toddy2

Nurburgring
Not having much luck with cars at the moment. Wifey's range rover blew both turbos last week and we're having these replaced (22hrs labour!). So in the meantime she's using my 9964S for the school run etc. lots of short journeys.

After being out today she reports that she heard a 'noise'. Great I thought :evil: I couldn't hear anything, but spotted it has recently started leaking oil, there was a small patch from the day before and the oil level is low (still in the limits). Mayo in the cap, I put his down to the short journeys. What concerns me is the oil splattering on the bumper. Should I be concerned. Coolant seems ok.

I've told her not to touch it and I'm booking it in for a service and check over.

Attachments

• img_3586_408.jpg
    img_3586_408.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 2,764
  • img_3587_156.jpg
    img_3587_156.jpg
    732.4 KB · Views: 2,764
  • img_3588_125.jpg
    img_3588_125.jpg
    758.7 KB · Views: 2,764
Wash your car, clean that mayo out and top your oil level up to where it should be then check again after your next drive.

alex yates said:
Wash your car, clean that mayo out and top your oil level up to where it should be then check again after your next drive.

Good shout, I'll give that a go. Any suggestions on the best way to clean out the mayo. I just seem to push it further in when I use a cloth and my fat fingers don't fit.

I have similar mayo on my bmw bad AOS was to blame, but also I'm dealing now with oil cooler and these could go bad too very common been told could be reason for mayo..? can you see from where oil is leaking?

Thanks, can't see where it's leaking. I've left a board underneath tonight

The Mayo is caused by moisture and heat .. water condensation in the pipe due to temp differences basically .

Im not sure why some cars get it and others dont .. different useage i guess .

clean out the cap but dont worry too much .. in the great scheme of things its a tiny amount compaired to the amount oil in these .. maybe a spoon or something similar to get some of it out of the tube .

Headgeasket , water in the oil .. you would have other symptoms .. white smoke out the exhaust .. misfires .. possibly oil in the coolant .. etc etc ... so i dont think its bad atm.

The residue on the bumper / pu is interesting though .. i would stick my head underneath the car and have a look .. any obvious oil leaks .. it looks like something is blowing back from under the car .. oil .. maybe .

It might also just be condensation from the exhaust .. cats do produce water as a by product after all .

Basically .. go with what Alex first said .. clean the rear end .. maybe have a look under the car and monitor it .

Thanks deMort! There is a bit of smoke on start up same as always, but nothing too excessive that has me worried.

And I've noticed the spashback on the drivers side outer rear wheel so figure the oil leak is that side.
Spoon is a great idea👍

Small amount of smoke on start up with ANY flat engine is normal .. you only start to worry when its prolonged or doesnt stop .. and even then its normally an AOS .

When we start talking engine damage we have other symptoms none of which you have mentioned .

An oil leak can indeed cover a rear bumper / pu .. again rare and it has to be a pretty bad leak to do this .. atm from your picture im leaning towards water from the exhaust and you only see it this time of year due to the shear amount of road salt and crap on the roads atm .

Im a biker . i hate this time of year .. half way to work and my helemt visor is covered in it to the point i struggle to see !

deMort said:
Small amount of smoke on start up with ANY flat engine is normal .. you only start to worry when its prolonged or doesnt stop .. and even then its normally an AOS .

When we start talking engine damage we have other symptoms none of which you have mentioned .

An oil leak can indeed cover a rear bumper / pu .. again rare and it has to be a pretty bad leak to do this .. atm from your picture im leaning towards water from the exhaust and you only see it this time of year due to the shear amount of road salt and crap on the roads atm .

Im a biker . i hate this time of year .. half way to work and my helemt visor is covered in it to the point i struggle to see !

Thanks again, fair amount of oil lost overnight yesterday.

Ahh my days of riding all year round are over, I couldn't hack the cold getting in every nook and cranny, and remember spraying fog on the inside of the visor - you're a braver man than me :thumb:

Attachments

• img_3589_740.jpg
    img_3589_740.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 2,621
Aghh ok .. an oil leak if its on the ground .. just need to find what part is leaking ...

Do me a favour though .. try and stick your head underneath .. 997 that side and there is the tandem pump .. if thats leaking it can start to leak .. rather a lot more shall we say and is worth investigateing .

Or strick your phone there and take several pictures .. we may get lucky .

I know the bike feeling well .. times when i dont like it .. but very few .. also im 54 :D but heated grips .. fingers warm and that will do me lol .

Nothing obvious, it's been parked up for a couple of hours and I placed a timber board under so to try and measure whereabouts the leak might be.

Just spotted my under tray is missing too!

Attachments

• img_3590_359.jpg
    img_3590_359.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 2,584
  • img_3591_110.jpg
    img_3591_110.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 2,584
  • img_3592_497.jpg
    img_3592_497.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 2,584
  • img_3593_732.jpg
    img_3593_732.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 2,584
  • img_3594_143.jpg
    img_3594_143.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 2,584
  • img_3595_170.jpg
    img_3595_170.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 2,584
  • img_3596_180.jpg
    img_3596_180.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 2,584
  • img_3597_743.jpg
    img_3597_743.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 2,584
  • img_3598_158.jpg
    img_3598_158.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 2,584
  • img_3599_130.jpg
    img_3599_130.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 2,584
There is nothing there that i would consider an oil leak .. a few sweat marks but nothing blowing back ..

Im afraid im back to montior it as i think the marks on the PU may just be water out of the exhaust and this time of year with grime buildup .

may be possibly at the gearbox end .. but no oil is showing towards the rear .

Thanks again deMort, alway appreciate your dedicated responses.

I'll take another look in the morning, see if there is anything from the gearbox. I wanted to take it in for a service in any event, I'll get this booked in next week. So will ask them to explore.

:thumb:

I wouldn't worry too much about the mayo, particularly in light of the recent short journeys.

As for the oil on the rear PU and the drops of oil under the car, I had exactly the same thing not too long ago...more noticeable after a somewhat spirited run on the M62.

My local Indy identified it quickly, and fixed it for not too much cash. I have to admit, without sounding too Rowley Birkin QC, I have had a couple of glasses of vino and can't remember what the issue was exactly. I know it was something that required a seal replacing and that something or other needing locking so I didn't fancy it myself.

I'm sure deMort will be along shortly to identify the issue based on my flimsy description.

I would go and dig out the invoice and tell you what it was but 'Shaun of the Dead' has just started. And I'm very, very drunk....

Thanks for the reassurance Hans Grubber.

I'll book it and get it checked out :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back