Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

right hand 996 turbo hose blows off!

Eey_ore_9

Monza
car has been off road for a few months over winter so I took car out for a steady drive until warmed up, approx 10 mile. put foot down to blow the cobwebs out and car lurched and I heard a loud pop and check engine light came on. I stopped the car and found right and turbo hose had blown off at the upper connection behind wheel arch liner!trouble is it blew the connection with the wire clip not the jubilee lower down. what could be possible cause of it blowing off like that guys...apart from obviously not being fitted right previously ( I know that's not the case though, so that is ruled out)!
this happened several days ago. since then iv disconnected battery to rid the check engine light but it comes back on after a short while 5 to 10 mins. also the oil check light on dash kenos saying engine not up to temperature. takes a bout 15 to 20 mins then it reads and says engine oil level correct.
on start up oil pressure in middle and when accelerator is applied goes up to 4 0r 5

First part .. thats interesting and not something ive seen .. they normally blow off at the jubilee clip end .

Have a good look at the connection .. anything obvious . .. does it lock in well ?

Im thinking .. possibly .. its either that connection that is at fault or that bank is over boosting .. a failure of the dump valve perhaps and the pressure is enough to blow the weakest connection .

Needs investigateing though .. over boost is not good for these poor hard working engines that do their best to provide enjoyment for you :)

Second part .. an eml or a logged fault will only clear with a tester or after 40 trips without the car seeing that fault ... you need a fault code read out basically .. what is the car getting upset about .

On a cold start then 20 mins in winter to get to operateing temp is not unusual ... if you have a Tip then i would suspect the tip oil cooler valve is broken .

Oil pressure at cold .. ign on and it should read 0 .. anything else and the sender is faulty ..

First start and it should be close to 5 bar and will drop to around 1 - 1.5 bar at operateing temp .

deMort said:
an eml or a logged fault will only clear with a tester or after 40 trips without the car seeing that fault .. .
I never knew that about the 40 trips :thumb:

You should be near enough able to hang off the pipe if its connected properly. If you can't without it coming out then its isn't connected. Check the barbs on the pipe, sometimes they have been bent inwards over time and the little wire clip can't secure as well as it should.

:thumb:

checking

Had the car on ramps and iv checked the connection on the turbo hose, the jubilee clip is secure and the barbs where the top clip goes over looks fine.The clip looks fine and is strong too. the dump valves seem ok I have tried moving the waste gate arms and they move freely too. looks like a trip to indy see what check codes come up on diagnostics.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmacleod
Back