Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 Carrera PDK to Gen 2 Turbo PDK - any advice?

Counter Of Beans

OK I admit it; I'm a serial car changer. I can't help it. After about one year, usually, I get a desire to change, which is odd because everything else in my life stays fairly constant - shoes, diet, football team, wife (in case she's reading this)!
Now, I've had my 2011 Gen 2 Carrera 2 PDK for a year or so and I really, really like it. In fact I've just come back from a drive and I'm buzzing. It's a great car!
And yet............I keep having unfaithful thoughts about a Gen 2 PDK Turbo. I drove one a while ago and found the performance shattering; it's a damn fast machine. But it would be £70k for a nice one - roughly double the cost of my current car.
So my questions: has anyone gone from a Gen 2 997 Carrera to a Gen 2 997 Turbo? Did you regret it? Was it worth the extra money? Which one did you prefer to drive? Is the Turbo a one trick pony?
BTW, I love the PDK so it really would have to be Gen 2.
Cheers, Mike.

"You can drive a Turbo like a Carrera but when conditions allow you can't drive a Carrera like a Turbo"

Seriously, a lot of people prefer the more linear power delivery of a normally aspirated car rather than the rush that a Turbo can give when 'on boost'. From a limited test drive that's what most people remember. In the day-to-day world the torque of a Turbo is what really hooks you for the long term.

Have another drive in one - but make sure you drive it as if you own it rather than like you've stolen it. :D

I've got a 997.2 3.6 PDK Carrera and never once thought I needed more power. I admire the looks of a Turbo but is worth an extra £35k over my current car? Of course not.

I've always felt a soft spot for the Turbo, but I've never been sufficiently convinced. Haven't driven the 997.2, but drove a couple of 996 Turbos.

I'd also want the PDK and they were far more expensive when I was looking.

For my journey to work it'd hardly make a difference, apart from costs. When I'm away it would be great on the Autobahn when the conditions allow, albeit not sounding as good. For the twistes and alpine roads I think I might miss the Carrera.

People that have made the change will probably stick up for the car. I only know one guy with a Turbo that hardly ever mentions the performance.

If you can afford it do it.

I've had my 997.2cs for about 6 months and I love it, in fact plan on keeping it forever.

However If I could afford another 35k I would have the turbo in a heartbeat.

Carrera = sports car Turbo = Supercar In my opinion.

I would also stick with the PDK.

reviewed 14 02 2019

I wrote this in 2013, after previously asking a very similar question, just after part-exing my 2002 996C4 for £13k against a 2004 996T priced at £29,995 so, imo, it's a valid comparison.

T8 said:
Thanks to all that contributed to this thread and to those that I've had various 'PM' discussions with. :thumb:

400 miles into Turbo ownership and 2 hours after my first 'proper' solo drive I now feel qualified to answer my own question. :grin:

The 74 miles that I drove this morning took in all of my local fun routes (50/50 A and B roads, no dual carriageways) and allowed me to make a direct comparison between my old 996C4 and my 'new' toy.

These are the most relevant.

1. The 'balance' that's achieved by keeping the NA car at 4,000 rpm+ can be done in the Turbo at 2,800 ie. just when 0.1 bar is starting to show.

2. The 'kick' that a NA car gives between 4,500 and 6,000 rpm is matched between 2,800 and 4,000. It's what happens then that really brings home the difference between the two cars. At 4000 rpm most of the additional 100 bhp is just 'there' .......... instantly. The final 10% takes a little bit longer to come but by that time it's normally time to back off anyway.

3. The other major difference is noticed when slowing down. iirc the Turbo weighs in at 100kg heavier than the C4 (not the C4S). Under most circumstances the extra weight is not noticeable but under braking it most definitely is! The combination of the extra weight, lack of engine braking - and the fact that you're going quicker between the corners - brings home to me why these things are renowned for eating pads (and discs :eek: ).

4. Handling wise there's probably very little between the two, as both are 4wd, but the Turbo seems to absorb the bumps better. It feels 'softer' but this may just be because my 'T' is 2 years newer than the C4 was and it's also done a few miles less. :dont know: .

In summary I am already starting to see why the Turbo is held in such high regard by so many people, including those far more experienced in driving fast cars than me. It's not just the rate that these monsters can cover cross-country distances, it's the ease with which they do it.

The reason for my original post was my concern that the fantastic 'driveability' of the C4 would not be matched if I changed to a Turbo and that the 'cost to change' may not offer the same :D 's per £.

After only 19 days I'm pleased to report ........... :cloud9:

Make the change, once you have it you'll see why it is worth the money over a Carrera :thumbs:

Changed from a 997.2 4S to a 997.2 turbo

Worth every penny and to me the difference is quite significant. The acceleration is brutal and if you enjoy that sort of thing, the turbo is unmatched.

I've owned my magnificent 997.2 turbo over three years now.

I keep having this recurring dilemma... what do I replace it with??? It's such a complete bang for buck weapon. Ticks all boxes, totally love it!

You guys, you guys......I was half hoping you'd say "bad move, it's a worse car, don't do it!". Only Ben and Magic have suggested staying put.
Sounds like I need another drive in a Turbo, the last drive was 18 months ago, so maybe I need to refresh my memory.
Anyone else think it's a bad move then, anyone.........?

I'm with the rest of the turbo team 3 years in bloody love it missed out the lesser models :D

Just at thought 70k will get you into a 991.2 or an S if you push it a little. Then a remap will put you pretty close to 997.2 turbo performance I'm led to believe?

Counter Of Beans said:
You guys, you guys......I was half hoping you'd say "bad move, it's a worse car, don't do it!". Only Ben and Magic have suggested staying put.
Sounds like I need another drive in a Turbo, the last drive was 18 months ago, so maybe I need to refresh my memory.
Anyone else think it's a bad move then, anyone.........?

I went from a Gen2 GT3 to my Turbo S and absolutely no regrets the Turbo(S) is a far more usable real world car ....
Everyday duties are tackled with ease and can be driven like Miss Daisy ( often the case these days)
But.....
There are those moments when nothing else will do , and I don't believe there is another car could transform itself the way a 997 Turbo does ......it is the best looking iteration of all 911's after all.....

If you feel the need to scratch the itch ,you have to ....
You will then find out why those that have, love it and those that don't , ' can't see the point' ...
You WILL agree ......of that there is no doubt .....

Terry

Rojdog said:
Just at thought 70k will get you into a 991.2 or an S if you push it a little. Then a remap will put you pretty close to 997.2 turbo performance I'm led to believe?

Hmmmm..er .........not really ......!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back